Highlighted hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S_E_H

Reaction score
Hey everyone -I'm not a hairdresser, I'm just looking for advice - so apologies if I do not use the right terminology. I've currently got blonde highlighted hair & have done for a while. My hairdresser uses a bleach & toner in my highlights & I have it done half head predominately but do have full head every so often especially when the underneath is looking too dark.

My natural hair colour is a mousy brown which I don't like but what I am wondering is whether I could move away from having my hair highlighted every couple to 3 months which is getting expensive (especially as I am on maternity leave) to colouring my hair at home? Ultimately I want to remain blonde but know that home colouring isn't always straight forward. Could anyone please give me some advice.

Sorry for long message!

If you're looking to save money, you could visit a college or training academy and be a model. Some of the bigger salons also run model sessions so google your local salons and see what's available. You will pay less but they will still be using professional products and be working under supervision.

You could also try mobile hairdressers as some charge a bit less than high street salons especially if they are working around school hours too.

I think home colouring only works if you're going a shade darker overall and covering a small percentage of grey hair. Lightening hair without causing damage is tricky to maintain as you have to be careful not to apply the product to previously lightened hair when just doing the roots (otherwise it will break off) and most home bleaching kits leave hair with a brassy tinge.

Latest posts

Back