home based salons/ techs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louwesley

Reaction score
just a quick question for all those home based nail techs/ beauty therapists. Do you have to enrol with your local council as working from home. i.e. do you pay business rates on your home?
Sorry if this is a personal question am just wondering as am a mobile tech and occasionally do clients at home that would rather come to me and wondered how the land lies with the borough councils? I would hate to be in a situation if some one grassed me to coucil as running a business from home and ended up paying a huge bill in rates

You have to check with your own local Council. Do a search as this subject has been discussed on many threads.

Yes, just check with your local council.

I got an reply back saying that there is no problem as I do not have a separate door into the room which I am using (ie still using the house front door) and as long as there is no problem with the amount of visitors to the house & this is not causing parking problems. I am part time so this will not be a problem.

I think I was meant to ask the Feu Superior (the builders who have the Feu) if I was allowed to run a business from home too but I'm not giving them money for nothing!

in perth we need to have surrounding neighbours permission, plus set working hours eg. mon-fri 9-5pm. no more than 2 clients cars in driveway at any time and no employees other than family. the council needed to know how large my working area is, they also require a yearly fee.

Hiya. In Adelaide, my local Council told me that I was free to do what I liked as long as I did not place 'A' frame advertisements on the street front or put any type of permanent signage on the front of the house etc. They did ask me how many square feet the room is that I work from and if it was detached from the house. As I rent, I also had to have permission from my landlord & agent, they both had no problem with it. Whoever you speak to in the Council, get their name and position etc just to cover yourself.

thanks for your replies just get a bit panicky sometimes over legal stuff! will have to enquire later. i too use the front door, i also heard that aslong as the room is duel use you don't have to pay either! therefore i've got a sofa bed in there aswell! many thanks for replies

louwesley said:
just a quick question for all those home based nail techs/ beauty therapists. Do you have to enrol with your local council as working from home. i.e. do you pay business rates on your home?
Sorry if this is a personal question am just wondering as am a mobile tech and occasionally do clients at home that would rather come to me and wondered how the land lies with the borough councils? I would hate to be in a situation if some one grassed me to coucil as running a business from home and ended up paying a huge bill in rates

I have been told in the past that if the room you are using is also used for another purpose relating to your normal lifestyle then you do not have to pay business rate at all. For example a dining room or sitting room used to do nails, a bedroom that doubles as a guest room etc etc.:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back