Home beauty salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautybecca27

Reaction score
After my NVQ level 2 - possibly a few odd courses too ie, Hi-Brow etc ..

I will be looking to set up a business from home (aswell as keeping my job - but part time, to keep me financially okay!).

I'll have my 'salon' in the conservatory.. Does anyone else?

I mentioned it to the girl who does my brows now and she said it was a big mistake as its too warm in summer and too cold in winter and not only is that no good for clients but things like tanning solution and eyelash glue etc - can all go off or simply be no good to use..

The conservatory was basically to not disturb my kids on an evening and so it has a seperate enterance..

Wheres your home salon? And why?

It'd be great to hear from someone with one in their conservatory too?

Thanks!!!!!

Xxxxxx

If this is your only option then make it work for you!:) Store your products in a different cooler area if needs be. You can get a fan in summer and a little radiator/heated blanket in winter. I would not let this put you off. If you are providing a good service this location shouldn't matter that much and its great that it has a seperate entrance. Go for it!:)

I have my home salon in the garage, It's only been 2 months so been using a heater to warm up but yet to experience hot weather yet! I'd say make sure you have good blinds because I've been mobile and worked in a conservatory and was close to fainting when it has been hot! You need to be careful if you offer gel nails as the sun could set your uv gels in the bottle I've had my brushes go hard! But im sure you could make it work xxxx

Thank you - tiara and sharmalee .. Sounds totally doable!! Everyone on here has been so helpful and you guys have all been there done it/had experience of it and know what you're talking about! Thank you! I wont let it stop me and make it work xxxxx

I work from my garage too. I had electric heating installed, but as I don't have the heating on during the night (way too expensive!), I literally carry all of my products, polishes and gels in to the house every evening. It means I have to get up early to set it all back up again, but I just do what I have to in order to make it work for me. Good luck :)

I'm currently having a conservatory built, but I spent a long time reading up on the pros and cons of working from one first. Mine will have only 2 fully glazed walls, so the other 2 will be insulated. We're also putting a proper roof on it which will also be insulated. Hopefully this will be enough to minimise the temperature extremes. Mine will have a separate entrance from the house too which will be easier.

I'm sure I'll have teething problems with it, and it's going to be a learning curve, but hopefully I've addressed any potential problems and it goes well :)

I work from my conservatory. I have only been doing it since October 2015, winter has been fine as I have an electric convector heater so can just turn it on just half an hour before my first appointment. We have had some hot weather the last few days and although I have thermal blackout blinds on all of my windows and a fan and windows open the heat has been very intense. I am looking into an air cooling system and maybe a new roof (one of those tiled ones)

I had a wax from a lady once that did it from her conservatory. It was in the high heat of summer but she had fans going and the doors open with long curtains and it was fine

I am now looking at getting some ceiling blinds made as it has been very hot in the recent warm weather and I am concerned that it is setting my Gelish while I am using it.

I used to work from my conservatory, yes it could get hot....but I installed air con.
In the winter it did cost a small fortune to heat, but had it on a timer which helped.
The only thing I will add, depending on the borough you live in, 'Special licencing' has come in which will include home salons.
There are quite strict guide lines to include floor plans, proximity of basins/toilets, and access.
Do check with your local council to make sure your build complies.

Thank you for all of your replies I will check out all of the options to keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter I was thinking of those special blinds too makes perfect sense!

I will check with my local council - last time I did they said it was fine but that was a long while back so I will check regulations again with them before I officially set back up!

Xxxx

Thank you for all of your replies I will check out all of the options to keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter I was thinking of those special blinds too makes perfect sense!

I will check with my local council - last time I did they said it was fine but that was a long while back so I will check regulations again with them before I officially set back up!

Xxxx
Hi how are you getting on after the summer months?

Latest posts

Back