home salon and the council

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittenclaws

gona be slim geek
Reaction score
ok so it shouldnt bother me as we are moveing house soon but omg im so p****d off

when i first wanted to have a salon done at home i called the council and asked what was and wasnt needed, they said it would be fine as long as i had enough parking, not loads of clients at the same time and followed health and safety
so, we got the salon done and in it i have everything labeled, lockable cupboard, locked first aid cupboard, sink, accident record book, msd sheets, fire extinguisher, etc etc, basically followed the rule book, etraction blah blah blah

while i was away a council enforcement officer has been round and is now saying i cant trade from home as i didnt apply for permision:twisted:

im soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo angry, it is our own home, the salon room is out the way so clients dont have to walk through the house (even use a seperate front door) what is there problem????

i bet there not on the back of the nss salons like this
im now waiting for the guy to call me back as im gona fight him as i cant see what his problem is, i do think the council are on a ppower trip sometimes

sorry about my rant i just need to let off steam

Aww, Tracy hun you have worked so hard for this!!

Sorry to hear they are being twit heads with you!!!!
Hope you get it sorted really soon!!!!!

I can understand your frustration Tracy. Hope it gets sorted out quickly for you :hug:

How frustrating - I think you're right about their power trips sometimes.

I understand they have a job to do, but what more do they expect from you after already talking it through with someone at their offices!

Hope you get it all sorted relatively easily mate

Trin
xx

Oh Tracy, this is terrible news after all your hard work. Keep positive that they can iron out the misinformation you were given initially and allow you to start the process over and go for official permission.

It'll get there in the end. I think they like to throw these spanners into the works from time to time in order to generate a few extra pieces of paper to shuffle across their desks and look important.

Best of luck Tracy. Will keep my fingers crossed this all sorts itself out. I'm sure it will.

Hollyballoo said:
It'll get there in the end. I think they like to throw these spanners into the works from time to time in order to generate a few extra pieces of paper to shuffle across their desks and look important.

if they want paper to shuffle i can send them all the receipts for the stuff ive brought and money spent on the salon

i think ill also bill them for paracetamol as i have headache now, lol

I hate friggin Councils (and I used to work for one!) Often it is down to their interpretation of the rules. Just tell them you are moving and that you're not going to be using it, in other words TELL THEM TO POKE OFF! (wish you could, it's just the word Council makes my hackles rise).

How did they know you had a home salon anyway?

Makes you wonder if it's worth being honest with them in the first place.

Good luck sweetie. xxx

Sassy Hassy said:
I hate friggin Councils (and I used to work for one!) Often it is down to their interpretation of the rules. Just tell them you are moving and that you're not going to be using it, in other words TELL THEM TO POKE OFF! (wish you could, it's just the word Council makes my hackles rise).

How did they know you had a home salon anyway?

they know i had it as i was honest and told them about it as i wanted to do it all by the book,and make sure i did everything right, wish i hadnt bothered now

i got a call from the council today and they said i CANT HAVE A HOME SALON as i didnt apply in writing, so they have said i must close up shop, well all i can say is stuff them anyway coz im moveing
just a word of advice to all thinking of doing a home salon, be carefull, i thought id done everyting by the book, even asking the council what i needed to do before starting but its all gone out the window, so be very careful and if the council say yes to it over the phone get them to out it in writing

What conditions have they denied your permission on?

Was it just because you didn't apply in writing? Surely you can apply retrospectively? (I know it's irrelevant as you're moving but I'm dead nosy!!)

:hug:

Trin
xx

Trinity Nails said:
What conditions have they denied your permission on?

Was it just because you didn't apply in writing? Surely you can apply retrospectively? (I know it's irrelevant as you're moving but I'm dead nosy!!)

:hug:

Trin
xx

i had permission but got it over the phone now i have the salon all done i cant use it as i didnt get permising in writing, im not even gona bother arguing with them

kittenclaws said:
i had permission but got it over the phone now i have the salon all done i cant use it as i didnt get permising in writing, im not even gona bother arguing with them

Is it any wonder people have no respect or faith in their local councils :evil:

Just as well you're moving babe and it doesn't matter........still, lesson learned and you'll know next time and your new place (when you get one) will be bigger and better :lick:

Trin
xx

i phoned the council a couple of weeks ago asking about turning my spare room into a nail studio and they said as long as the neighbours didn't write in and complain ie loads of people coming in and out. i didn't need permission.as long as i had all my own insurance etc.also as long as i didn't advertise on my house but advertising on flyers was o.k.

michelle g said:
i phoned the council a couple of weeks ago asking about turning my spare room into a nail studio and they said as long as the neighbours didn't write in and complain ie loads of people coming in and out. i didn't need permission.as long as i had all my own insurance etc.also as long as i didn't advertise on my house but advertising on flyers was o.k.

Yeah Michelle - mine was the same, but it really seems to vary from council to council :evil:

Kittenclaws has just created a beautiful salon in her former garage which the permission was for, Ii's beautiful and now they won't let her use it :sad:

Trin
xx

michelle g said:

this is the same as i was told so be carefull and get it all in writing as they will go back on what they have said

Ah what a shame blooming jobsworths !

ambx

I've been purely mobile nails but I have got a room full of nail stuff at home so I will do my friends at home etc. I was thinking of starting working from home full time... After what everyone's said I may not! and if I do...I don't think I'll be telling the council! I know a lady near me that does nails from home and has done for 10 years. She hasn't been caught yet! Couldn't you say you are mobile? This stuff makes me so angry!!!! It's not as if you are opening a brothel or anything!! It's a shame. Especially when you get through to the council and you speak to a spotty little teenager who doesn't know what he's talking about. aaahhh!!

Sam XXX

SammiG said:
I've been purely mobile nails but I have got a room full of nail stuff at home so I will do my friends at home etc. I was thinking of starting working from home full time... After what everyone's said I may not! and if I do...I don't think I'll be telling the council! I know a lady near me that does nails from home and has done for 10 years. She hasn't been caught yet! Couldn't you say you are mobile? This stuff makes me so angry!!!! It's not as if you are opening a brothel or anything!! It's a shame. Especially when you get through to the council and you speak to a spotty little teenager who doesn't know what he's talking about. aaahhh!!

Sam XXX

i thought i was doing the right thing telling the council, BIG MISTAKE

Hi guys

I am thinking of working from home and converting part of my garage. Has anyone had dealings with Rushmoor Borough Council on this subject?

Interest to know!

Latest posts

Back