Home salon problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JemmaBeauty

Reaction score
I've worked from my detached converted garage for 11 months now and business is good.

My house sits behind large gates, so I was taken aback one day when a lady opened the gates and wandered in to my garden on my day off, asking about treatments and wanting to book appointments. I was in my PJs, hanging the washing out so was a bit shocked! Although it annoyed me at the time, I thought it was unlikely to happen again.

However, I've been off work recently due to illness. This was stated in huge letters on every page of my website and on my FB page. I also changed my voicemail to let people know that I was closed for business. But three people in the space of a week knocked on the front door of my house asking about treatments and vouchers!

My leaflets, price lists, and my website all say that I only see people by 'appointment only'. My open hours are on all marketing, website, google, Facebook etc. I also have an A-Board sign that I sit outside on the days that I'm working. When I'm not working the gates to my house are closed and there is no sign on show. So I'm not sure what else to do?

The people who have shown up at my door don't seem to think that it's inappropriate ...even when I say I'm very ill and I'm in my dressing gown with no makeup on! I've started to feel like I can't relax in my home and I panic every time I hear someone at the door.

Has anyone else had this problem with home working?

I'd say get a sign to put out when you're closed saying: Please no entry. Strictly by appointment only - Please call XXX or visit www.yourdomain.co.uk.

I feel the same when my door goes as I live out in the sticks so it's unusual to have anyone here.
I've had a few clients arrive looking to make appointments and when they've mixed up their appointments.

I'd feel the same. I think banner penguins idea is brilliant. Short of a padlock on the gates I'm not sure what to suggest!

On the plus side, how fantastic that you're that well known from a home salon!

Yes, I have exactly the same set up as you by the sounds and it used to happen frequently [emoji53] it's very flattering and good for business, but, like you, I started getting edgy on my "days off". Or I used to get "can I come ??" I'd reply I'm not open and they would said "well you live there so you'll be around anyhow". I would keep on putting on FB etc your times and strictly appt only and do this at least once a week xx

My friend runs a B&B and takes the sign down when they're closed but she still gets callers randomly knocking at the door. Once she was out in her (large) garden and came back in only to find a family sat around the dining table enquiring about afternoon tea as if it was a café. She has never done Afternoon teas and her house is off the beaten track.

OP, I think you need to keep your gates locked and a 'Closed' sign on them.

Thank you all. Kind of glad I'm not the only one!
I didn't really want to have a constant sign up outside, but I think that's the only solution really isn't it.
I must admit, it tends to be the older ladies that have just rocked up unannounced so I know that no matter what I write on my social media and website, they probably won't see it. I live semi-rural in a small village so I think they see no harm with 'calling by' o_O

I also have the issue that a couple of clients have started to just come in my front door and walk through to my salon!
One was early and caught my son in his undies [emoji15]

I've been fairly lucky but I do occasionally have clients turning up on my day off, when they have got the day wrong for their appointment.

It is a tough one. I think a 'closed' sign is a good one to try.

I have a friend who works from home gets all her neighbours deliveries. Her neighbours are at home, but just can't be bothered to answer their doors!!
She put a sign on her door saying she does not take deliveries for neighbours and visitors are strictly by appointment only. She says it's worked wonders.

I've been working from home for 20years and I always have that feeling someone is going to turn up when I'm not expecting anyone. Holidays are tough and I prefer to go out!

I keep my front door locked and have a little sign saying to ring the bell and wait for attention.
I always lock the door when doing treatments so no chance of anyone wandering in.
For deliveries I have a big plastic storage box by the front door with a sign saying to put parcels in there.
If I'm busy I just ignore the bell.
My contact details are in the window.

Latest posts

Back