Hope you can help...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maximum Nails

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Hopefully some of you can help me, thats if I do not baffle on too much but I shall try to explain.

Anyway, I am quite new to all this nails business lol. And went in to it with my eyes shut (as you do) anyway, I am currenty doing a home course as me and my partner run a printing business from home and we also have a 2 yr old so time at the moment is pretty precious. Anyway it was a toss up between Essential Nails and ICS, I chose ICS (i know, i know) probably because I could pay over the year and not 4 months! Problem is now I am coming to the end of the course I see that I am not going to be taught how to do enhancements. I have so far learnt basic manicure and pedicure and am about to start the nail art side of things.

I know I will have to do a course, possibly in the evening, or a crash course or even the essential nails one some day, to learn the enhancements, but I thought I may have a go with the help of you guys :biggrin: at practising before I can afford the course, and try at home.

So.........can you tell me

* Which is the best to start with Acrylic or Gel?

* What products do I need (obviously do not want to go in with my eyes shut and buy millions of things i wont necessarily need to use)

* Any other useful hints or tips

Hopefully someone can help me and you never know, one day I may be able to post some pics on here myself!

Love to all

Max

Maximum Nails said:
Hi everyone

Hopefully some of you can help me, thats if I do not baffle on too much but I shall try to explain.

Anyway, I am quite new to all this nails business lol. And went in to it with my eyes shut (as you do) anyway, I am currenty doing a home course as me and my partner run a printing business from home and we also have a 2 yr old so time at the moment is pretty precious. Anyway it was a toss up between Essential Nails and ICS, I chose ICS (i know, i know) probably because I could pay over the year and not 4 months! Problem is now I am coming to the end of the course I see that I am not going to be taught how to do enhancements. I have so far learnt basic manicure and pedicure and am about to start the nail art side of things.

I know I will have to do a course, possibly in the evening, or a crash course or even the essential nails one some day, to learn the enhancements, but I thought I may have a go with the help of you guys :biggrin: at practising before I can afford the course, and try at home.

So.........can you tell me

* Which is the best to start with Acrylic or Gel?

* What products do I need (obviously do not want to go in with my eyes shut and buy millions of things i wont necessarily need to use)

* Any other useful hints or tips

Hopefully someone can help me and you never know, one day I may be able to post some pics on here myself!

Love to all

Max

Well this is hard to explain, but all i can say is learning from home is good but you will never learn how to do enhancements properly without a tutor to physically show you what you need to do and also to point out where you are going wrong.

Next, you really need to train before you even think of buying products to practise with to be honest. I know from personal experience that playing with any product is very risky to you or the person you are practising on when you have no knowledge of what you are using. You will not get the benefit of any product when you don't know the prep or ratio of the what you're using. I know how hard it is to get started when you have a youngster at home. I myself have a four year old and have been doing nails for just over 18 months.

I would personally practise your manicures and pedicures and get yourself a book or two on nails, like Marian Newmans The Complete Nail Technician edition 2 & Doug Schoons Nail Structure & Product Chemistry. These will help you on the way to everything you will need to know as far as nails, health and safety etc is concerned.

Start with this and then look into learning more when you are able to get some training in a classroom with someone like Creative or EZ Flow. It will be worth it in the end.:D

Thanks for a quick reply, have taken your comments on board.

Latest posts

Back