Hot Stone Problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Impulse1976

Reaction score
Hello Geeks, i wonder if you can help me i received my new hot stone kit on Friday and i have done two practices on my b/f and my mum. The first time the stones were too hot and i couldnt touch them and the 2nd time they were not hot enough. I am finding it really hard to get the temperature right.
Has anyone else had the same problem with this and can offer me any advice.
Thank you

Which heater have you got and is it the same one you used on your training ?

Hi Samantha,

Try not to worry about this, as practice makes perfect and two treatments is not many to have done. Keep practising and you will find a happy medium with your heater, assuming the thermostat works properly.

It may make a difference how long you have had the stones heating up for, regardless of the thermostat, especially in regard to the depth of heat, what I mean by this is, if the stones are heated through properly so they will retain their heat.

If they are not hot enough, pop them back in and crank up the thermostat, but just a little. If they are too hot, keep a bowl of cold water handy and plunge them into that for a few secs until they have cooled enough to handle.

Also, if the stones are too hot you can use them to warm your hands, by picking them up and putting them down again, then massage with your hot hands while the stones are cooling down.

Can you contact your tutor for advice?

Hi, its the spa pro massage stone heater. It is similar to the one i trained with.

Ok I have only used the th stone heater from Ellisons (quite a while ago) and I remember we used to have it on about 3/4 of the way round.

What I used to do is remove the stones and place on towel then apply massage oil to client and do some effleurage strokes then begin massaging with stones that way they had cooled slightly.

It took me ages to get in to the swing of things and I wish the spa I had worked for had sent me on the proper la stone therapy course which is about three days not a one day course at the wholesalers.

I can recommend the La Stone Therapy Manual

Amazon.co.uk: La Stone Therapy Manual: The Complete Guide: Jane Scrivner: Books

There is a whole chapter on Temperature Control and Troubleshooting, far too much for me to copy down here, but the use of a thermometer is strongly advocated, as is getting to know your heater. The more you use your heater, the easier it will become to know how long it takes to heat to a perfect temperature.

See if your heater has a small hole in the lid, that's where you pop the thermometer.

Whether you have the lid on or not makes a big difference too, and the water level does too - if the stones are not completely covered with water they get hotter.

Hope that helps :hug:

Hi Samantha

I do the same as Zo Zo - heat the stones for at least a good 45mins, and if they are too hot i keep picking up the stones, putting them down, then massage with just hands - keep doing that until the heat has dispersed enough to use them on your client. It does take a while to get used to the heater so perservere as its a wonderful treatment - I love doing and receiving it!

firstly, your stones have only been used twice so are probably getting used to being used.

this is what I do:

1. put the thermostat on full for 5 minutes only.
2. turn it down so its between 7 and 8 o'clock, and leave for at least 30-45 minutes.
3. check that the thermometer reads 120 degrees, (if its 140 I know its going to be difficult).
4. take approx 8 stones out at a time.
5. the first 2 I sometimes dunk in cool water, then I use my hands to introduce the massage, and then use the 1st 2 stones.

one other thing, have you put the stones outside for 24 hours? If you lay them out on a blanket in your garden and allow them to infuse in the sun and moon for 24 hours you are charging them up.

then oil them and leave for a little while.

then rinse them.

then heat them.

you may find a difference in them. HTH.

Hi Hippy Chick,

What does putting the stones outside do, just curious as I don't do hot stone therapy.

Andi,
you obtain stones from nature, like crystals, so by putting them outside for 24 hours, you are charging them up (like a rechargeable battery). They get chance to absorb sun and moonlight.

Even if you put them on the windowsill - its a bonus.

sounds like the stones are unstable as been in storage for ages.

also, I remember my heater STINKING the first few times I used it. It said in the manual that it need 'breaking in'.

Putting your stones outside keeps them in a natural feeling, place them in the garden even if it is raining ,sunny, snowing ect. Leave them out once a week. Also when it is a full moon put them outside in a circle starting with the largest stone first, this re-energizes the stones.

This keeps your stones in a natural environment and your stones will last for longer, they will retain the heat.

Old stones which have not had this done will cool down in the treatment very quickly.

There is also other natural things which should be done to your stones

cleaning
storing
boiling

another thing I do -
if I have been really busy with Hot stone treatments,

I lay them out on the floor and I use my tingshaws, singing bowl, bell to ring and incense or smudge stick.

I have bribed my son and his friend 50p each to do it for me once.

The vibration of sound is very balancing for them.

Glamour beauty - I love the layout that you suggest and will deffo try that next time.

It reminds me of when I booked my sister and I in for a hot stone massage at her local holistic centre. She went first and then went off to do some shopping. I was told to return at a set time for my treatment.

When I arrived, the therapist wasn't about so I went looking for her (detective HC) and found her in the kitchen, with the stones set out and she was using her singing bowl over them.

I asked her what she was doing, and she said she re-energised them between every treatment and also it cleared them of any negative energy picked up from previous client.

by using a singing bowl, you can cleanse a large amount of stone (and crystals) at the same time.

Wow thank you for all your suggestions, i have been looking into getting that book too so i am deffinatley going to get it now.
I think that i havent been heating them up for long enough after reading these posts.
I have cleansed them by placing them on rock salt as i was told in my course but i think they are going to need a lot more tender loving care :)

the problem with the La stone book (I have both) is that they are geared towards the La stone therapist, which none of us are, as we have all done 1 day courses in hot stone therapy.

I found them confusing, and not much use.

I would continue getting to know your stones and caring for them.

Even when you are not using them, try heating them up so that they get used to being heated up.

I think i might go for a treatment to see how someone else carries out the treatment.
Anyone in the Shipley area does hot stone?

I am a bit confused here, but this may be a simple answer.

Did you say that you lay the stone on rock salt to cleanse.

Back