How did you learn to manage your business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADiva1

Reaction score
So many of us are self-employed these days. A very good thing in itself. How did your learn to manage your business?

Did you just muddle along?

Did you have help from someone?

Did you do a business or advertising course?

I muddle along :)

TBH i don't think its half as hard as people think it will be, i haven't done a tax return yet though so may change my mind !

Advertising is a nightmare as something that works for others may not work for you. I advertised in a country magazine & got two calls from it :cry:

I muddle along :)

TBH i don't think its half as hard as people think it will be, i haven't done a tax return yet though so may change my mind !

Advertising is a nightmare as something that works for others may not work for you. I advertised in a country magazine & got two calls from it :cry:

Lol about muddling along...

Try Sassy's guide to advertising - its a fab tutorial on here. Follow it word for word... goodluck.XX

Ive run my own business from being 19 (my first husband and i had two pubs), so its something that im used to now. My mum is an accountant, so she helps with my books etc, and my dad runs his own business too, so hes been a great help. Theres some great help around nowadyas for people who are self employed, ive found loads of help on the internet.

I have always worked in offices etc, which has given me some great skills.

Also, 13 years ago my ex-husband and I started a business (Spring Water) from the ground up and we learnt alot from that, eventually selling franchises and when the marriage fell apart we sold it off to another company. So that experience has now become invaluable to my business as I know what to do and what not to do.

Business courses, I believe, are as important as the Nail Courses sometimes.

**Nailaholic and I seem to have something in common! lol

I have always worked in offices etc, which has given me some great skills.

Also, 13 years ago my ex-husband and I started a business (Spring Water) from the ground up and we learnt alot from that, eventually selling franchises and when the marriage fell apart we sold it off to another company. So that experience has now become invaluable to my business as I know what to do and what not to do.

Business courses, I believe, are as important as the Nail Courses sometimes.

**Nailaholic and I seem to have something in common! lol

Made me laugh, was the pun intended?

:o:rolleyes: No it wasnt, Im not that clever. Good one. :lol::lick: x

My dad has had his own business since he was 21 - so I have grown up with it really, I am almost his PA sometimes! lol. Having worked in banking too, I have a good knowledge of business banking and accounts, Business plans etc and how it all works, I often had to do presentations on 'Managing your local market' when trying to get the staff to target the right people when selling the banks products - It was very interesting, learning what areas of the town have the most disposable income etc - the information I had access to there was confidential, so I wouldnt have been able to get it had I not worked there.

I think business courses are a really good idea for people who have no / little experience of running a business. A good solid business plan is a really good starting block - as is a cashflow forecast - even before you start looking for premises or setting up. It lets you know what you are really 'in for' in running your own business - and whether it is actually possible for you to make a profit.

My dad has had his own business since he was 21 - so I have grown up with it really, I am almost his PA sometimes! lol. Having worked in banking too, I have a good knowledge of business banking and accounts, Business plans etc and how it all works, I often had to do presentations on 'Managing your local market' when trying to get the staff to target the right people when selling the banks products - It was very interesting, learning what areas of the town have the most disposable income etc - the information I had access to there was confidential, so I wouldnt have been able to get it had I not worked there.

I think business courses are a really good idea for people who have no / little experience of running a business. A good solid business plan is a really good starting block - as is a cashflow forecast - even before you start looking for premises or setting up. It lets you know what you are really 'in for' in running your own business - and whether it is actually possible for you to make a profit.
You could be a very successful business consultant I think.

To date, I have been muddling along but hope to address that soon with a few business courses.

I ran a Ford Fleet Sales departmemt for a number of years and you learn about business skills then. I did loads of the Ford business courses, I found my certificates the other day and didn't realise I had done as many. Then I worked with the Thomson Local and learned a hell of a lot about advertising. When I went self emplyed I enrolled on all the free courses run by the Inland Revenue , they were very boring but very useful.

i run my own health and nutrition business too, alongside doing nails and left the NHS far behind, where i use to work as a midwife, ugh the shifts, and being told when you can and cannot have your holidays and the politics!! :irked: all got me down, I do miss the babies though xx. but i am soon to be a grandmother in November, so that will sort that one out haha , but i really enjoy running my two business and it is all under my control not anyone elses. So the answer to your question is i muddle along:hug:

I had a business before, before that I was a manager in accounts and my husband had his own LTD company which I ran. It all helps. For the absolute novice I would say get yourself a qualified accountant. Failing that ring your local revenue office - some areas they are quite helpful.

I learnt through a combination of things, asking questions on here, getting books and information from inland revenue and chatting to business people as well. Luckily i have worked in banking and been a co-ordinator at the local college so am very organised so tend to ask questions anyway if i dont know something.

hi yea iv always thought the same, how do people do it and get where they want to be? im wanting to do the same thing and im looking in to buisness studies and all sorts, dont think i could just muddle along lol ... but am very interested reading some of these posts x

I did a bookkeeping course just before I opened my first salon which was a help. Apart from that I muddled along. I have always paid for professional advice tho.

I did a bookkeeping course just before I opened my first salon which was a help. Apart from that I muddled along. I have always paid for professional advice tho.

Flamin heck, who dug this out? I started this thread since 2006! I probably need the ideas now though, lol!

Latest posts

Back