How do nail strengtheners work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
I have just read this reply from Geeg on another thread, and it got me wondering - if the nail plate is non living then how do strengtheners work?

Quote:"Remember that the nail plate is non living ... you can't 'feed' it or nourish it at any time never mind just before applying a set of enhancements. The most you can do to a non-living nail plate is clean it, ex foliate it and moisturize it. As long as the plate is clean and exfoliated before you apply the enhancements, then you can moisturize later with a good cuticle oil."

This is a question that cropped at one of our local geekie meetings and I had forgotten to ask it until now!

Hi Sassy

With regard to using Nailtiques, it strengthens (F2/F2+) by changing the naturally occouring balance of strength and flexability. More protein more strength in the case of the above formulas.

Although the nail is "Dead", you can still make it more flexable or stronger. For example if you had a paper plate, which is certainly dead, and put it in a bowl of water it would go softer (more flexable) if you painted glue on it it would go harder. Same theory.

The ingredients may not be alive but they are still there, so if you add to or change these ingredients, you will create more flex or strength. Hence the reason that Nailtiques is so good, it doesn't sit on the surface like many products, making the nail seem strong (by feeling hard) It promotes the strength from within.

Hope that helps

Sorry Sassy

Forgot to mention, Hair is dead too, but we use various products to change our hairs look and strength. They work by being absorbed into the hair shaft to change its structure.

Great explanation thanks Gina. Slightly off topic, but I use Nailtiques, can you give any tips to try and stop it from peeling so much?

Hello Sarah

Also.....some work by using micro fine fibres which criss cross over the nail plate to enhance strength (Nail Silk) and also diamond dust to enhance strength (Diamond Base)

Clare xx

Thanks Clare, I swear by Diamond Base ( an LCN product if anyone was wondering), it's great stuff, and looks so pretty too.

Sassy Hassy said:
Nail strengtheners crete more cross links within the natural nail plate either through Formaldehyde or DMU. The natural nail plate is more rigid than than hair simply because the natural nail plate contains more cross links. Therefore adding even more makes it more rigid. This can be excellent for thin, flimsy nails but remember that more cross links= less room for oil and moisture and hence can dehydrate the nails. The other downside is that when overused, the nails can become too strong (more strength=less flexability). The stronger something is, the less it can withstand the force of impact so therefore... you can start breaking nails easier ;)

They are gret to restore some balance to the nail, but just dont overuse them.

Hope this helps and makes sense ;)

aka Samuel Sweet !
I think sams answer is pretty consise!
From my opinion I would always recommend a non formaldehyde formula, such as CND's Toughen up

I have just read this reply from Geeg on another thread, and it got me wondering - if the nail plate is non living then how do strengtheners work?
The nail plate is non living yep, or else we would scream in pain everytime it is filed or enhanced.......
But it is porous so it will absorb ................ Thats how it work, paint stuff on a nail and the tiny molecules in any thing will cling to a nice clean nail plate.....
Strengtheners do the same, they cling on......some cling better then others.........some penetrate better than others..........some so called nail strengtheners do not really strengthen the nail, they dry it out, so it gives the superficial appearance of strength....just before it becomes brittle, so we swap one problem for another one lol...and one product for another, like ping pong... hence why I don't like Formaldehyde based strengtheners..........
I don't know about anything else but Toughen up works fab, as it has something called DMU( Dimethyl Urea).Toughen Up , contains 2% DMU. DMU is the perfect replacement for formaldehyde. DMU has two important advantages. First and most importantly, DMU is not a likely skin sensitizer and it won’t cause clients to develop nail polish allergies. Secondly, the 2% DMU found in Toughen Up will not make the nails brittle. DMU is also a keratin cross-linker. A cross-link is created when a chemical link is formed between two of the long protein strands- much like rungs on a ladder, cross-links join single strands of protein together like a net. The result is greater strength and harder surfaces. One of its advantages is that DMU allows for a more controlled, finely tuned level of cross-linking. DMU won’t create excessive cross-linking like formaldehyde can. DMU allows the nail plate to maintain a good balance of hardness and toughness.
Thank God for Doug Schoon, I would know nothing without him lol...........

If you want to know the difference between DMU and Formaldehyde check this out : http://www.thenailgeek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103

HTH a little bit...........

Wow thanks guys those are great answers!! They didn't just help a little, they helped loads and once my printer is working again I shall print them off and put them in my nail file. Thank you so much.

Sassy

Don't confuse Formaldehyde with Formaldehyde Resin - which is in Nailtiques. F Resin is the pure form where as Formaldehyde causes yellowing, dryness blah blah blah.

With regard to your Nailtiques question on peeling. This can happen from time to time on certain clients. The main cause for the peeling is that the clients nail kind of rejects the product - usually due to the nail being in a pants condition. Shrinkage and expansion when nails in and out of water is mainly the reason. With clients like this they may be able to layer their formula for only two days before it happens. Thats fine tell them to just do two layers and remove and begin again. Eventually this peeling will subside and they will be able to do the four day pattern.

Hope that helps, any questions concerning Nailtiques and I am all yours - I do consider myself the Nailtiques queen. Only because I do more Nailtiques mani's than anything else - the reason for this is I now have a fab reputation for using a product that performs miricles.

Hey Gina you Nailtiques queen you!! Thanks for that input, that is what I had been advising my clients, but could I use the Orly Bonder to help it adhere, or would this be conterproductive?

thenaillounge said:
Sassy

Don't confuse Formaldehyde with Formaldehyde Resin - which is in Nailtiques. F Resin is the pure form where as Formaldehyde causes yellowing, dryness blah blah blah.
A good point raised here. I can't speak for Nailtiques as I haven't used or researched it.

But speaking re Creative enamels all use TSF resin, which is also a completely different thing to Formaldehyde on it's own. As resins utilising formaldehyde have been completely reacted the culprit free electron of formaldehyde is no longer able to react...

Often you will find formaldehyde under different name, such as formalin... or not listed at all (really cheap enamels....)

Latest posts

Back