How do you deal with a client that smells of booze and smoke?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly Bamboo

Reaction score
I have a new client. She is very "odd" perhaps flaky is a more precise description. She smells of alcohol and smoke which made my treatment room hideously stinky.

The next day after her treatment she came back looking for me where I work at the gym. Refuses to book through the Gym's reception, she sat around waiting for me. The gym reception told me they thought she was drunk because she had problems using the staircase. She left a message for me to call her back as she wants more treatments.

How do you deal with this? Please help...

Many Thanks.

Hmmmm... there is more than one consideration here!

I have one or two smelly clients (body odour, smoke, feet, although none who smell of booze I don't think.) I make sure I have a bit of extra time after their appt so I can throw the windows open then light a scented candel, before the next client arrives. I also now put Vicks inside my nostrils, hehe.

But, smell aside, do you want her as a client? If not, make sure your book is always full and you can't book her in. :hug:

oh i know the feeling! I have a client with a drink problem and when i was spray tanning her she fell over:eek:. Also had clients with really smelly feet, which was made worse by hot weather and no window in room. It depends if you need her business, if you're busy then i would just say you're fully booked. What treatments is she having? Maybe you could light a few scented candles, or spray the room before she comes in.x

Just don't rebook her. It is your business and you have other clients to think of. If you encourage this woman she will make you life a misery by turning up, as she has already, at all times and causing a scene. :irked: I have dealt with people like this before and at first was soft and sypathetic but every time I regretted it and it was even more difficult to get rid of them. Just say you are fully booked every time she tries to book in, hopefully she will get bored.
:)

I am an "honesty is the best policy" kind of girl and would speak to her directly about this. I would tell it to her straight - but with tact.

Let her know that the smell of alcohol she brings with her is offensive to you. If her feet stink - ask her to wash her feet before she comes to see you. If she is offended - she won't be back which solves your problem! If she wants to continue seeing you - she will do as you ask.

I know we all want to tread carefully so as not to offend the client - but as a consumer myself - I would prefer you be honest with me than lie.

Just my opinion!

honesty is a beautiful thing, :hug:

but, I'm going to wildly assume the lady has an alchohol problem.
Chances are she's going to be embarassed & in some denial about it,
& when full of drink, she could be un-predictable.

imo its not really for us to point out someones odours, addictions or flaws, & to do so could incur the un-predictable annoyance of an un-stable person,
or upset a smelly person. :wink2:

I like the scented candle idea, I also like the "oh dear, i appear to be fully booked for the next 27 years" approach.

Don't forget too that drinking before a massage treatment is a contraindication. :hug:

I've had several clients with smelly feet for massages. My solution, as part of the treatment I start off with a "cooling foot massage". Grab some wet wipes to do the massage with the cool and sooth tired feet. ;)

Mat

Don't forget too that drinking before a massage treatment is a contraindication. :hug:

exactly. This would be reason enough not to treat her. Although to spare her feelings - just always be busy, eventually she will get the message.

exactly. This would be reason enough not to treat her. Although to spare her feelings - just always be busy, eventually she will get the message.

Yep - you could say that you won't treat her if she's drunk because it would invalidate your insurance or something like that, given it's a contra-indication.
Posted via Mobile Device

dont forget the other side of things... she is paying money and can recommend you to others etc Can you afford to throw away a client.

Just something else to think about hun. Good luck with it all.

dont forget the other side of things... she is paying money and can recommend you to others etc Can you afford to throw away a client.

Just something else to think about hun. Good luck with it all.

I agree, she is a paying client like everyone else. You are allways going to get the odd stinky person. She is paying for a service. I would just get on with it.
The woman obviously has issues. The treatments are maybe the one thing in her life she enjoys and does for her self. You dont know her life story.

Also be careful when suggesting that someone has an alcohol problem, she may be on medication that affects her stability etc.

I've had clients who smell of alcohol...but its left over from the night before hehe!

B xxx

On her first treatment I did not think she was drunk, however, I could smell booze and ciggies on her clothes.

The client would like more waxing.

At what point do you not take a client if she has been drinking?

I am aware of contraindications. I have never had a client come in smelling of booze before.

any alcohol! At the end of the day it is up to you to use your discretion. Are you that desperate that you need THIS paying client? I do not mean that to sound blunt or rude but really, some clients IMO you can well afford to NOT have. On the flip side, it could be argued that it may well put other clients off coming to you.

Hi Hun,
Be tactful with her, as you say she could be on medicatiion, ask her for your consultation forms. As you do need to know if she is.
She maybe on something to take a way a drink problem, I have no idea what it would be........:!:
Light some lovey scented candles too.
Also next time you see her or if you decide to telephone her tell her - policy is thst she must book through reception only, and there is no exceptions with this rule.
If she doesn't like reception she may well go elsewhere.
Be careful by being too nice, she may hook onto you like velcro:eek:.
Good luck
Lotsa luv x x x :hug: x x x

Latest posts

Back