how do you get rid of the grown natural nail under tips ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haylznailz

uniquelicious
Reaction score
hi there

happy new year to you all

first time ive been on for weeks been mega busy like i guess you all have.

quick questions
lots of my clients come back for maintenance with natural nails grown right up under tips,
what do you do to get rid of the natural nail underneath?

other than replace the set of tips ????

as the natural nail gets real long and dirty and curl round at sides

but clients dont always want new sets as there perfectly fine other than the natural nail growth

thanks xx

Id love to know the answer to this one,on my first training course they said to use the nail tip cutters and cut off some of the length even if that included the natural nail, I have never done this but would love to know your views on this.

Surely part of the point of nail extensions is to allow the natural nail to grow?

Don't see the point cutting them off and replacing the tips - tips are only needed to extend length when the natural nail isn't long enough.

If clients don't like the natural nail underneath because it's dirty - have they actually bothered to clean them? :) Nailbrush with soap and water I'd have thought??

If the sides are curling in I'd just file them back into shape.

Would be interested on the opinions of the more experienced techs

haylznailz said:
hi there

happy new year to you all

first time ive been on for weeks been mega busy like i guess you all have.

quick questions
lots of my clients come back for maintenance with natural nails grown right up under tips,
what do you do to get rid of the natural nail underneath?

other than replace the set of tips ????

as the natural nail gets real long and dirty and curl round at sides

but clients dont always want new sets as there perfectly fine other than the natural nail growth

thanks xx
I think the answer to your question lies in solving the problems highlighted above in bold letters.

There is no need ever to 'get rid' of the natural nail beneath the tip if curling and staining are controlled by good maintenance techniques ... and this takes a partnership between YOU and your CLIENT.

Your role as technician is to ensure that nails do not not curl away from the tip area of the enhancement, by making sure the edges are clamped at every rebalance and the free edge is capped by filing down the length whilst holding your abrasive at a 45 degree angle at all times. Angling the abrasive at 45 degrees ensures that the enhancement product is always just ahead of the natural nail regrowth, and therefore, capping and protecting the free edge.

The client's role is to maintain her nails cleanly during the time away from the salon. Nail Brite is a perfect product to retail to your clients to use to scrub and bleach their nails between appointments so that they do not build up stains and look unsightly.

The only other safe method, for those who just can't stand the sight of the natural nail beneath the free edge (clean or dirty) is to apply new sets every 3-4 months on average. Good for business.

I have two clients who cannot stand the sight of their own nail growth and every couple of months I have to remove the old nail and cut a beautiful long natural nail and replace with tips! For the rest of my clients I encourage them to have a natural nail overlay and continue in the same manner as I would the tips. Usually they are so impressed at being able to grow their nails that they ask for a clear overlay.

Hope this helps

i hate my natural nails showing underneath my enhancements,
i was a terrible nail biter so there is nothing better than soaking my nail enhancements off and having a good old nibble (i know .yuk) before putting a nice new set on.

I am just getting to the point where my nails will be grown out soon underneath the l&p. Which file do you use to reduce the length in a rebalance then? Would you need to change to the 240 grit as it's also touching your natural nail underneath?

If plain old soap & water didn't do the trick, I was told to try plain white toothpaste and an old toothbrush and give them a scrub with that. Tried it and underneath came up brill..... just a thought!!!

I always use a 240 grit abrasive AND I am into retailing professional products to my clients rather than suggesting they use toothpaste, even if it does do the trick. It's like suggesting they dip their nails in vodka everyday to avoid infections.

There are good professional products to do the job and it makes extra profit for the salon as well as maintaining a professional look to your business.

Yeah, I know the toothpaste isn't exactly very professional sounding but it was given as a tip by an experienced nail tech and thought it was worth a mention! The vodka tip made me laugh though!!! :lol:

i own a drill and every refill i will always turn the hands upside down and drill gently away the growing nail so it blends in with the nail..... i have been doing so on my friends nail for 3 months and have never had to replace the set..... i hate soaking off nails.... my worst night mare :(

Hi, I too was taught that you could drill the natural nail away, however a word of caution that I learnt from this site, be mega careful (or just don't do it) because it can cause onycholysis.

Jesbica said:
i own a drill and every refill i will always turn the hands upside down and drill gently away the growing nail
How do you manage with a client who's Hyponichium grows up the natural nail?, I have this with both my index fingers and the thought of a drill going under there would send me running :Scared: ;)

Another thought on drilling the nail from underneath, you will find most clients who have long (i dont mean tanya turner long) with have a, how do you put this:confused: ) a grown Hyponichium, and this can be very painfull if pushed, it is there for a reason and should not be damaged.

Amanda

I have a new client whose natural nails have grown very long under L&P, her hyponichium has grown up her nail, she hates the look of this and on one nail it has become sore and started to bleed. What should I be doing about this? She loves her nails being very long.

Breaking the hyponychium is the number one cause of onycholysis when drilling the nail from beneath. This is why I would not encourage the practice as well as the fact that I have found that a nice new set every 4-6 months is good for business and the clients as well.

hi there thanks for all your advice one this

i do my best to maintain my clients nails by filling capping the edge etc

but they still dont like the fact that there nails are as long as the tip
and they look yellow underneath

i have advised them several things to do to clean them

even brought some sachets of white cleaner from sallys to soak tips in

but they still request a new set after so long

and yeh i hate soak offs

if i remove tips and then apply clear gel overlay s

my clients dont like that either as they always prefer tips as they dont feel the gel overlay last as long or looks as good as the tips

as for drilling dont think id like to even go there

anyway still reading the feedback

thanks all x

Latest posts

Back