how important is nvq?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laneypants

Reaction score
Hi guys I am a bit confused about what to do I have searched other threads and havent found the answer I am looking for. I started off doing essential nails courses which in my opinion was a great building block and have since attended NSI training and will continue to further my education however possible and of course spend many on hour on this site 'studying' . What I am unsure of is whether to do nvq. I feel that it would be good to have the certificate as the general public instantly recognise it, but I dont believe it will provide me with anything other than a certificate. The reason i say this is because my colleague did the nvq at our local college and the standard of training there imo was pretty dismal, I went in with her as a 'model' for the rebalance and there was no teaching involved the tutor just signed off the students work at the end of the evening without really looking at what they had done.
Do you think that it is something that we will all need to have one day and I should just go ahead and do it- if so which units would i need or do you think that I am ok to carry on doing manufacturer based training?
Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid and i hope i dont offend people who have had or who offer quality nvq, i hope somebody can help :confused:

Hi ya

I did the NVQ at college and not all colleges are the same as the one you know.

I found my course very informative and the tutor helped with any problems I had, its best to find a college that has a very good rep even if you have to travel a few extra mile to get it, I am willing to travel in order to get a good education.

We studied both L&P & Fibre/Silk aplications the only thing I would have loved assistance with is the sculpting but that was a different course. I would have liked to have learnt that at the same time. (kill 2 birds with 1 stone)

The fact that it took longer than a few days is good, I had a lesson every week for about 18 weeks which gave me enough time to face my problem areas and learn the criteria so it sticks in my head. I don't agree with the 3-4 day course that are out there I don't feel you can learn everything about nails in 4 days .

I am now going to study 3D acrylic art with NSI in the new year looking forward to that, they also said they'll touch over any problems I have which is good.

I started off the same as you and essentual nails course but didn't get on with it, I needed some one telling me where and what I was doing wrong and DVD's don't answer back so thats why I did the course. (waisted money, but learned a lesson)

I did do the airbrush course with them which I found frustrating at first but succeded in the end (peezie now)

My recommendation is to do your home work, find out what the companies like Creative , EZflow, NSI ect are offering, some of them do put you forward for your NVQ when they think your competent.

Also check out or colleges in the district and neighbouring district for rep then make your decision.

hope I helped and good luck

Cheers davinia that does help, i'll have a chat with NSI i have seen something about the nvq in their literature. I'm glad you found your college course worthwhile. Thanks for your input :hug:

There have been loads of threads re NVQ. This thread by Mum is very helpfull:

NVQ.......who?
mum

Latest posts

Back