How long before it happens to us!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Lou

Scatty Blonde Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hiya all,

I am posting this on behalf of JNail:hug: Unfortunately she is having problems getting onto the geek, but she thought you all should have a read of this.

Attachments

• Project1.jpg
    Project1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 219
  • Project2.jpg
    Project2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 145
Sarah and Janice this is already happening here. Anyone can buy Star products in Sally's, plus the Rio kits etc, suddenly everyone is taking up nails as a hobby ... what the hell ever happened to taking up knitting and stamp collecting?

I agree I wouldnt trust any product that could just be bought 'off the shelf' I'm not sure about the effects of this as with the rio kits everyone knows them and knows that a true professional wouldnt use them. If people are getting their nails done by a girl who has one of these kits then they wouldnt have been your client anyway. Some people are just cheap and want cheap things!

Dont worry about it with all these cowboys around it will be easy to distinguish the true professional!

As a whole
What we are requiring at this stage is some clarity as to the exact involvement of our distributors and a Creative label [as far as I believe displayed on the underside of these products.]
Can anyone offer some feed back on this?
As you can see it has alarmed our little nail community here ALOT! concerning the repercussion's this will have, as this is now avaiable to the general public.
Including the 40 page manual that is supposed to turn you into a nail tech just by dloading said document.
Cant wait to see what Im fixing next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And defending our craft has just been made all the more difficult.
Regards jnail Australiaxxxxx

As with the home kits in Boots and Argos etc. People will try them and may have success, may not. You know how hard it is to do your own nails, even with your experience, so anybody with common sense will know not to have a go.

The clients that come to you regularly will not want to bodge a job. There is always going to be enough people around who want a good set done and we will be the people to provide it.

I'm not worried about these. People may have a go and find out its not that easy. We may have a few messes to clear up along the way. All you need to do is strive to be the best and you won't have to worry about competition or products like this.

Hi,

I have had lots of people say "Oh i'll do my own it works out cheaper in the long run!" and once they have done thier nails they look a right state and the damage they do with trying to blend the tips!

I think all of these home brands should be banned! FULL STOP

I'm not so much worried about the money i am losing out on it's the damage people are doing to their nails.

To me, I see no difference between this and home care colouring kits. THey havent put hair colourists out of a job - if anything it has mainstreamed hair colouring and made it a more 'in demand' service.

As far as Contours - If I remember correctly - it is a consumer designed nail enhancment system just like Loreal for hair colour. And I think that it is based on CND's original SOlarnail system from 25 years ago. Im pretty sure this is something that came about with Revelon. Dont quote me on that though!

HTH's

The Nail Geek said:
To me, I see no difference between this and home care colouring kits. THey havent put hair colourists out of a job - if anything it has mainstreamed hair colouring and made it a more 'in demand' service.

I totally agree with this. Can any one out there hold their hand up and say they've never tried colouring their own hair? God, I even tried cutting mine myself once :o And, back in the bad old days before I knew better, I tried "Lee Nails" (remember those - a DIY l&p sculpting system :Scared: ) on myself and friends - four hours later per hideous set and we never bothered again. Ultimately consumers will end up back with the professionals.

Its a shame though that this system has been advertised in a trade mag. Not much loyality being shown to their subscribers hey?

My hair is alright now by the way.

Wow, this post about Contours took me way back to the 1980's! This is an interesting thing thats been happening in the industry for years, but not a new one or one to worry about. I feel compelled to respond to this because i was once a Contours user years ago. Do i still use it now? No. but it did get me into the nail industry at a level i could afford and made me want to learn more about nails. Obviously the more you educate yourself, the more you learn about various products and what you choose. It worked fine for me as a new learner, but i later switched to other brands and then now use Radical. I have been a nail tech and hairdresser since 1986 and I still absolutely love this industry. I hate to repeat the obvious, but i am not sure why some of you are up in arms over this. Maybe this is new to your country. In this industry all over the world there are sooo many nail products being sold everywhere and arent giving any eduation with it and also selling products containing ingredients that are unsafe for even an experienced professional to use (MMA). I did some looking into this store on the net that is selling Contours and it is no different then Sally's here in the US. Now i buy products from what i like to think of as a professional distributor, but I can also say that the convenience of Sally's has saved my ass numerous times on Saturdays and Sunday because they are open and in convenient locations. My state is licensed in nails, but that doesnt stop my own clients buying powders and liquids in drug stores. At first, to be honest it pissed me off because i would have clients say they werent able to afford coming in to me regularly and were going to try and do it themselves. I thought i was going to lose my clientele. Can i say, those people all came back and were my most loyal clients. One even ended up working at a salon i worked at years ago. Like another post i read on here, what is the difference between this and all the hair colors you can buy in the drug stores? From what i can see, at least this company has tried to help this industry by giving some education to the person purchasing the product, which is more than alot of distributors give. Lets be honest, the real problems in our industry are the products containing MMA that are harmful for the nails, or what about the people doing hair or nails in the salon that havent updated their knowledge since they first learned (scary!), or people ripping apart clients nails and skin with drills or charging $9.95 for a full set of nails in 30 minutes??? These are the issues that cause problems in our industry and make those of us that work hard to be as professional as possible look bad. There are lots of people that are former hairdressers and former nail techs that deserve the convnience and ability to still purchase items even after their license may have expired to do their own hair or nails. From what i have seen, the people that buy these products just want to work on themselves or a friend, not open up a full business to compete with us. If anything, i'd say this sort of exposure helped my business out. Its good for them to have a try and then actually appreciate the fact that can come to the salon for the real deal. Besides, like I said, that convenience has helped me out in a pinch with needing products several times and i am happy for it.

I dont mean this in anyway to minimize anyones concern, i just wanted to share from first hand experience with this product that it helped me not only to get started in the nail industry, but Sallys being open on the weekends helped me so many times when i ran out of things.

Just keep focused on what you do and be thankful like i am that at least you know there is a convenient last minute option to help you in a pinch that is safe for the natural nail. This is NOT a bad thing, but a real good move to help you.

Had a few people try to do their own nails to save money:rolleyes:They always end up back again with me fixing the mess and have to pay more cause they forked out for the stuff they used then they had to pay to have it all redone!
Sam

same thing happened with a few of my now regular clients.
sam1 said:
Had a few people try to do their own nails to save money:rolleyes:They always end up back again with me fixing the mess and have to pay more cause they forked out for the stuff they used then they had to pay to have it all redone!
Sam

Here here....Kristi Rae. Well put. Welcome to the board!

You know what really gets up me about this whole thing??
It's not just that there is another product available to the public.

It's the fact that a company so hellbent on education for this industry turns around and does a backflip and sends out a product and a booklet to tell people how to do it themselves. So what's the point of doing my Masters, My grand masters OR EVEN busting my gut to go to bootcamp ALL THIS ON TOP of the 6 months I had to spend at school to get my certificate AND to earn enough to safely produce some decent nails?????

READ it as you like but here is CREATIVE's OWN Mission Statement

our mission
Creative Nail Design is the global leader in professional hand and foot beauty. We inspire nail professionals by providing leadership through high quality performance products, industry leading innovation and global education. Success is measured by exceeding the expectations of our customers through unwavering commitment to our Shared Values: Honesty, Integrity, Trust, Respect, Communication and Accountability.

And also from the CND website

Creative has concentrated on educating its portfolio of innovative products through formalized education workshops – The Creative Academy – and "master technician" programs. Today, Creative Nail Design is recognized as the education leader in the nail category, training professionals in all topics from medical emergencies to makeovers and massage.

To me neither of these say over the counter take home kits to go stuff up your own nails.

What really SMUDGES MY POLISH :irked: is that I think this is really hypocritical - Leave crap like this to companies with NO PROFESSIONAL INTEGRITY Not The one that is supposed to be The industry leader.

Hi there &thankyou for your response to this fellow Geeks,
It is all very helpful.
Unfortunately most of us have no experience with these systems familiar to most of you other than fixing similar or MMA related products & poor training from day dot.
Taking up more of our time [I grant increasing our knowledge & awareness of the difference & value of our training &professional tools] , explaining WHY these things shouldn't be available to these amature's!
In my whole career I have only ever used 2 Professional Product Systems
IE: OPI & CND,
And recieved Professional Training from 1986.
Having had my own business's , competition, heartaches, much happiness & headache.
Situated in my own leased Salon /Shop , followed by leased spaces with some really GREAT staff, hairdressing teams & registered Training Organizations.
Along with ALL my fellow Aussie Techs that have strived for standard instilled by our aavailable professional companies
I have now proudly achieved CND Grand Master recognition.
I have never purchased anything other than a natural nail file, a pair of scissors or Nail clippers from ANY WHERE other than A Reputable Distributer.
Always sung the praises of the ehtics and standards delivered by these systems
Until now nothing like this has been seen here. There are CHEAP LIL KITS
But the diffrence is chalk and cheese.
One of few of our major concerns here is that ANY BODY can aquire these products!
AND apply them in ANY CIRCUMSTANCE & SURROUND they desire!
WHO controls this? And as a tech who pays business registration & insurance,etc
Whether I do 2 or 22 clients a week should I now not bother with this????
As I can easily say these are my friends???????
Which would be STUPID! May I also add.
Alot of our hairdressing associates/friends have totally dropped a company as soon their similar Salon Only products have become available in this manner.
A 40 page dload manual is available with this product also on HOW TO ???
We are a relativley small, [ but very active] dilligent contribution to the National & International market. We support our distributers 100%. I know I do.
Finally gaining our feet, confidence & prestige in regards to our training & delivery of the companies systems we all choose to use within the general small retail public here compared to some areas,countries etc.
We have been working hard for many years to obtain better training, licencening requirements & regulations for our industry which we currently do NOT have.
Time & alot of mistakes will only tell where this will take us all now!!!!
Kind Regards
jnail xxxx Australia xx

The Nail Geek said:

As far as Contours - If I remember correctly - it is a consumer designed nail enhancment system just like Loreal for hair colour. And I think that it is based on CND's original SOlarnail system from 25 years ago. Im pretty sure this is something that came about with Revelon. Dont quote me on that though!

HTH's

I just wanted to use this quote and respond to a negative rep mark against my name which said
I'm sorry but your post appears to be directing the blame at the door of Creative rather than Pacific Nails & Beauty where it rightly belongs

As I can't respond in person Please note - This goes to the heart of Creative but the looks of things not just Pacific Nails & Beauty but you have it all over the world - If you read the bottom of the Monomer Bottle Trade Marked Creative Nail Design. Now I have negative reputation because you don't read a full thread :(

Hi

I have read this thread with interest and i am concerned about creative going into the chemists over here could we please have an answer on this from designer nails? Do designer nails (as they are the uk distributers) have control over this? Do they intend to put creative in chemists in the uk??

I have spoken to PND about where their heart is at with Contours and I believe it is in the right place after talking with them for the last hour or so.

They have made a coupe of mistakes with this product that with credit to them they were happy to admit and immediately recitify.

I'm still not exactly happy that a product is out there for public use - BUT that came about long before Creative dipped their hand in. Contours have now provided a B Grade Product that is as Sam said based on Creatives OLD Solarnail mix. Safe for people to use without turning people to the acrylic wrecks your nails way of thinking that will cause them to never return to a salon again. YET not exactly the most friendly to use product that would mae it easy to create nice nails. Now the freecall number that is on the package is answered by Pacific themselves who talk to people about nails and perhaps training and becoming a technician themselves. If not they have a list of techs in front of them for those that give up and go back to a reputable salon rather than an NSS.

No Matter what goes on here - I will still work towards bootcamp and further AND I will work towards eradicating these products from public purchase.

But instead of attacking Contours I will work targetting the industry as a whole to improve and eventually have licencing and regulations. I know Creative really wants this too.

Latest posts

Back