How long...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louise

Dizzy geek
Reaction score
Hi all,

How long should nail enamel last for when painted on a client?

I did a French polish on a client this evening & gave her aftercare advice, but then i started to wonder how long she will get out of the enamel,before it starts to wear off or chip? The enamel was painted onto natural nails, with a base coat & top coat.

Any advice please x :green:

I always recommend applying a top coat every other day to protect it. Alot will depend on the client. It isn't indestructable and if not cared for will chip. Although i find the polish i use lasts longer than the higher end of the high street ones, whether i apply a top coat regular or not.

It depends on the clients nails, if they wear gloves and if they apply a top coat themselves.

As you know natural nails are alot more flexible and can bend which causes chipping. A uv top coat can be applied that gives it a bit more staying power and also if the french is applied quite thinly.

Have'nt helped much have I? sorry Hun.

Take care

It really depends on the client and how she looks after her fab paint work....
When I have applied my french polish I always top coat and then take the brush over the edge of the nail and just swipe it with the flat brush edge just along the free edge.... It's a sort of a one movement thingy...... bushing down centre, sides and sides and on the last stroke just along the edge......this caps it......

if you can understand this, easy to show hard to describe xxx

Nailsinlondon1 said:
It really depends on the client and how she looks after her fab paint work....
When I have applied my french polish I always top coat and then take the brush over the edge of the nail and just swipe it with the flat brush edge just along the free edge.... It's a sort of a one movement thingy...... bushing down centre, sides and sides and on the last stroke just along the edge......this caps it......

if you can understand this, easy to show hard to describe xxx
Yeah, Dianne Plummer showed us that yesterday at Leeds - never thought of doing that before but it makes sense.

Did you put a layer of Creatives STICKY underneath? That really helps keep the polish on then put super shiney on top

loads of clients ask that, its a bit like how long is a piece of string isnt it ? the better the prep before the polish, the longer it lasts, i always get rid of any non living tissue and thoroughly dehydrate the nails before proceeding with polish. but i think the key issue is how thick the clients nails are, the thicker they are, the more rigid they will be, so less bending and flexing occurs and polish does not crack and chip like it does on a thin bendy nail.

I always say a professionally applied polish...i.e. base coat, 2 thin coats of enamel and then topcoat...should last a minimum of 7 days!.........A French manicure should also last this long but it can be the one that a heavy handed client or if she does have particularily flexible nails can chip.....but it should still last.

Latest posts

Back