Https-anyone ready?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salonfrog

Accountant for salon owners
Reaction score
Just when you think it’s safe to come out after GDPR, I’ve just realised that you need to do the same to your website (@BannerPenguin correct me if I’m wrong).

If your website is not secure (ie starts with HTTPS) you need to take action!

From 28 July 2018, with the release of Chrome 68, any site not protected with Secure-Socket Layer/Transport Layer Security (SSL/TLS) will be marked with the red-triangle of an insecure site by google.

So unless you secure your site, you can kiss your web traffic good bye (apparently).

Last edited:
Heard the same from the yell man today

HTTPS should have been in place for the last year at least. Most of us web guys have been doing it by default for about 2 years as, without it, Google is penalising you in the google rankings for not having it so it's extremely important for many reasons to have it!

As you say @salonfrog, Chrome is clamping down on it now even more and blocking access to sites but Safari has been blocking access for almost 12 months.

Time to get it sorted or you may as well not have a website :)

How do you make your website secure?

How do you make your website secure?
It depends on how your website is made? If you can let me know I should be able to point you in the right direction.

First time I've heard a Yell salesmen not lie lol.[/QUOTE

Lol, it was the only good thing he said about our website... Trying to get the job of putting it right

I have made it using Wix. I have had a dig around and cant see anything on the dashboard. Though when i have a look at the website on line it does have a little padlock before its name.

Thanks for your help!

I have made it using Wix. I have had a dig around and cant see anything on the dashboard. Though when i have a look at the website on line it does have a little padlock before its name.

Thanks for your help!
In that case you’re all good :)

Not surprised. Their sales practices are questionable and there end result is over priced and under quality. Also, you never actually own the site in the small print unless that’s changed.

Ia that for me Banner? About never owning the site?

It depends on how your website is made? If you can let me know I should be able to point you in the right direction.

HI Banner Penguin - I have just been reading through this thread and wondered if you could advise me on my website - I made it myself through freewebs - would you mind taking a look at mine www.shoreescape.co.uk - the formatting on the desktop version seems to have changed to what it used to look like - I also did a "cookie" check (recommended from another thread on here and looks like I need to do some work) - which I am happy to do, if I know what to do.

Thanks

Carly xx

HI Banner Penguin - I have just been reading through this thread and wondered if you could advise me on my website - I made it myself through freewebs - would you mind taking a look at mine www.shoreescape.co.uk - the formatting on the desktop version seems to have changed to what it used to look like - I also did a "cookie" check (recommended from another thread on here and looks like I need to do some work) - which I am happy to do, if I know what to do.

Thanks

Carly xx
Hi Carly,

Indeed, something seems wrong on your website on the desktop. It's practically unusable. I can't see a cookie notification. Freewebs are who you would need to speak to regarding HTTPS but I had a quick look on their forums for you and they've ignored use requests for HTTPS for over a year so I don't think you're in luck, unfortunately. You're at their mercy.

Hi Carly,

Indeed, something seems wrong on your website on the desktop. It's practically unusable. I can't see a cookie notification. Freewebs are who you would need to speak to regarding HTTPS but I had a quick look on their forums for you and they've ignored use requests for HTTPS for over a year so I don't think you're in luck, unfortunately. You're at their mercy.

Thank you for this - yes I noticed only in the last 2 weeks the website has practically hidden the menu option down the side and it not what it looked like a month or so ago.

Can you suggest anything - another company to go to? I don't want to loose my domain name as I have literally just renewed, or cut my losses - go with someone else and buy another domain - I could use shoreescapemobile as I have recently changed from home salon to mobile?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Carly xx

Thank you for this - yes I noticed only in the last 2 weeks the website has practically hidden the menu option down the side and it not what it looked like a month or so ago.

Can you suggest anything - another company to go to? I don't want to loose my domain name as I have literally just renewed, or cut my losses - go with someone else and buy another domain - I could use shoreescapemobile as I have recently changed from home salon to mobile?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Carly xx

I have just checked the website again - it looks fine now? I had to upgrade the premium services as the card details had expired (was sent a new debit card) - does it look better to you know and am I right in thinking it has 2https" at the beginning. Do you know how I can get a pop up like most of the other websites now have and you need to agree by pressing ok or yes?
I am waiting to get onto a GDPR course in the next week or so. Really want to make sure I am doing what I need to be regarding the website.

Thanks in advance if you could have a quick look and get back to me?

Carly xx

I have just checked the website again - it looks fine now? I had to upgrade the premium services as the card details had expired (was sent a new debit card) - does it look better to you know and am I right in thinking it has 2https" at the beginning. Do you know how I can get a pop up like most of the other websites now have and you need to agree by pressing ok or yes?
I am waiting to get onto a GDPR course in the next week or so. Really want to make sure I am doing what I need to be regarding the website.

Thanks in advance if you could have a quick look and get back to me?

Carly xx

The website looks like it's back to normal but the HTTPS isn't set up correctly as it's not displaying a padlock.
You should be able to keep your domain if you change to another provider. How easy will depend on where you bought your domain from.

I'd probably recommend moving to SquareSpace or if you have goals you want to achieve with your website and a budget, you can't beat going to a professional such as myself or someone local perhaps. You can see what I do here - https://penguinmedia.co.uk

There is a lot to GDPR and depending on who you speak to you'll get a different answer. I'm of the opinion it's 100% impossible to make a website 100% compliant. You can make an effort though by doing a few things like the popup which helps and privacy policy etc. If you want a popup option it's up to freewebs to provide one.

Nice looking sites? what are they based on. Wix, GoDaddy, Wordpress?????

Gary
Custom built on WordPress and hosted on one of 2 premium hosts I utilise :) I would tell everyone to steer clear of Wix & GoDaddy.

The website looks like it's back to normal but the HTTPS isn't set up correctly as it's not displaying a padlock.
You should be able to keep your domain if you change to another provider. How easy will depend on where you bought your domain from.

I'd probably recommend moving to SquareSpace or if you have goals you want to achieve with your website and a budget, you can't beat going to a professional such as myself or someone local perhaps. You can see what I do here - https://penguinmedia.co.uk

There is a lot to GDPR and depending on who you speak to you'll get a different answer. I'm of the opinion it's 100% impossible to make a website 100% compliant. You can make an effort though by doing a few things like the popup which helps and privacy policy etc. If you want a popup option it's up to freewebs to provide one.

Hi - I am glad the website has "sorted itself out" - I have emailed freewebs, no response which, as I pay them, is very frustrating. I cannot find a contact number to ask for this pop up option. Surely they cannot just ignore my request - any ideas? I didn't really want to start mucking about and changing anything as 1. I do not know what I am doing and 2. I had spent so long getting the website as it is and am worried about having to start again / setting things up.

I will search the internet again and try and find out how I can contact them but I DO need them to provide this for me, as you said.

Any suggestions on how I do it myself or is it down to them? If it's down to them shouldn;t this them make them at fault for not contacting / replying to my request?

Thanks

Carly x

Latest posts

Back