I haven't been paid, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo's Nails

Reaction score
Hi,
some advice please
My boss has gone on holiday and hasn't paid my wages. They were supposed to be paid in Friday. This isn't the first time she's messed me around. I can't get hold of her. I asked her to pay me before she went away because I knew this would happen and she said she could pay by bank transaction anywhere in the world and she would deffinatly pay me. I only found out yesterday that she doesn't have internet in the village she is staying in which is in the middle of nowhere :( :(

From your previous threads, I can't say I'm surprised.
She expects you to carry on working without pay whilst she's away and clearly has no respect for you, so is unlikely to change.
You must prioritise finding a new job asap.

Hi AcidPerm
I've been holding on to this job as much as I can. I am a single parent on tax credits get help with rent and council tax as my daughter is still young and for the last few years I have bounced from job to job because most of the employer's I have worked for have been the same. The upheaval of job hunting, finding somewhere new then setting in and being nervous, building a clientele and sorting out financial situation can be a lot of work. All I want to do is work and work for my future and stay in a perminant position. It's awful being in this situation because I feel I have no choice and have to take the job which is available only to find that in a few months of working for them I find out that I'm working for someon with absolutely no morals what so ever. If I had a husband I think things would be different I'd have a back up. I think I'm too much of a people pleaser and because I am desperate to keep my position and not be out of work they must see me coming a mile away. I don't know where to turn I can't afford not to be paid :(
I have a week off next week and will be looking for another job. :(

I am considering going self employed but don't know where I stand with tax credits, housing benefit and council tax benefit. This is something that has put me off because without these in place I couldn't do it. Universal credit is being rolled out.
I would love to go self employed but still have a little help with certain benefits just for a few years untill my daughter is out of school to keep me afloat and maybe rent a space. Then I could do it alone. Again I don't know where to get advice on this when it's been suggested to me in the past I thought it's not possible for me in my situation.

You're clearly in a very difficult situation and you've had employers take advantage of that.

Would you consider looking for work in another industry to gain a regular income and work on doing nails part time around your paid work/daughter? Visit your local citizens advice centre who will give you information about benefits entitlement.

Maybe try to gradually build up your own clientele until you can afford to be full time self employed?
Sometimes you have to change direction slightly to get where you want to eventually be.

I think finding a good salon employer can be very hit and miss. It's the same for salon owners trying to find capable, loyal staff. Both groups exist out there but you have to persevere to find your match.
(Not unlike dating, sadly!)

You can’t start unless you ask someone appropriate. My mum always said where the eye is a coward, the hand is bold. She used to say it to me when I had too much to study and would be intimidated by the sheer amount of homework. Truth is it can be applied pretty much everywhere. You just have to start and everything else will fall into place.
Just ask your local council to get the information you need and slowly create your space and business. Stay at your job until you can support yourself fully.

As to your current predicament, pretty much every phone has 3G signal and her not finding internet access sounds like an excuse to my ears. So I would text your boss demanding to get my wages asap or you shouldn’t go to work until she holds her end of the bargain. Let’s see how obliging she will be when she’s losing money. She will most probably be furious. Use that time to find another job. Don’t act the victim if you don’t want others to treat you like that

My first answer would be don't go to work until she pays you, but that's obviously out of the question due to your situation. In all honesty I agree with AcidPerm in that I would get a 'normal' 9-5 job and start building up your own clients outside of that on a self employed basis, either mobile or work from home. It sounds like your job isn't reliable enough and is causing more stress than is necessary. In fact I think that unfortunately a lot of salon jobs aren't reliable anymore as it seems to be a common theme of salon owners messing people around and taking the Michael! This is why I went self-employed and opened up on my own, but obviously I am in a very different position as I have no children and have back up. I would definitely get looking for a different job asap as by the sounds of all your other threads you've been messed around one too many times !

Now is a good time of year to get a job as a Christmas temp in a shop. If they keep you on then great. If they don't then you can sign on while looking for a better match re work.

It's crap that it is this way but it's sadly not unusual. Beauty and retail both have high staff turnover.

Latest posts

Back