IBD gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gian

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

my local supplies store is now carrying the IBD gel line. From what I have read they are good products. The lady at the store, though, recommended using an acid primer instead of the IBD bonder cause she said it can be quite tricky and cause lifting. I have read the same thing over here so I guess it must be true. :)

I have one question for you though: should I always start the service with the clear thin viscosity gel as a base, or can I prep&prime the nail and just apply the builder gel (clear, pink..) skipping the clear gel step?

thank you all! :)

I skip it, after prep I just build the nail with one layer. I liked IBD, although I have moved to brisa for colors and easier applying, IBD gels like to flow on sides. But you can work on that :) I worked with round moves and managed to keep it in place. Wish you luck!

Look .. I have to ask the question, "Why would a company produce a primer/bonder that caused the nails to lift??? It makes no sense at all.

Also, if a company says to apply a thin base layer before the builder gel then I would do just that and apply a thin base layer before the builder/Sculpting gel. Why would anyone take chances with service longevity by making their OWN decision to 'skip' things or not use something that is recommended.

IBD is a very old established company and well respected. I would apply as IBD teach to apply and I would use the products they recommend to use, and to be honest I think it is irresponsible to tell people anything else. Why take chances with your reputation or the reputation of the company?? It just doesn't make any sense at all.

I never listen to 'product gossip' from other techs .. just because they can't make something work doesn't mean I can't. Just because they want to cut corners doesn't mean that I do.

Look .. I have to ask the question, "Why would a company produce a primer/bonder that caused the nails to lift??? It makes no sense at all.

Also, if a company says to apply a thin base layer before the builder gel then I would do just that and apply a thin base layer before the builder/Sculpting gel. Why would anyone take chances with service longevity by making their OWN decision to 'skip' things or not use something that is recommended.

IBD is a very old established company and well respected. I would apply as IBD teach to apply and I would use the products they recommend to use, and to be honest I think it is irresponsible to tell people anything else. Why take chances with your reputation or the reputation of the company?? It just doesn't make any sense at all.

I never listen to 'product gossip' from other techs .. just because they can't make something work doesn't mean I can't. Just because they want to cut corners doesn't mean that I do.

Ehhhm didn't mean to cause any discussion. I'm just reporting what the lady told me, and from what I have read over the internet it seems like the application of IBD bonder can be tricky. Not to mention I prefer using an acid primer because of its antifungal properties.
Concerning the clear gel, I asked because I was not sure whether it was formulated as a base for all IBD gel services or as a NNOs gel. Seems like I can skip the clear gel step if I need to build a nail.

thank you

Interesting, I never use a primer at all with the system I use and Have never in 25+ years had a client with a nail fungus from enhancements.

You asked a question AND I GAVE you my advice. I didn't realise that the advise you wanted to hear was that which you'd already made your mind up about and that anything else would be considered a 'discussion' you did not want to hear. Best of luck.

geeg, it is not about cutting costs
I bought IBD bonder with all the stuff, but it caused nails lifting, much better was without it
as well great dissapointment was intense seal by IBD
I was doing nails with IBD gels since 2000 for a few years, I had to find my own way how to manage material and reduce lifting, and using builder gel as one-step gel was the best way - there were no help with distributors back then (I was living and working in Poland) so I really could not find what was wrong
I also used non-acid primer form another company

later CND came up with Brisa (I loved CND acrylics and sometimes I dreamed, that they could produce gels as well :)), and I have moved to it, using all the products it requires - it goes great

it is not always about cutting costs, or being lazy
for years I have struggled wih many problems, you are lucky here, you can attend extra courses, you have great mentors and teachers etc
eeeh, long story, not that topic ;)

Hello everyone,

my local supplies store is now carrying the IBD gel line. From what I have read they are good products. The lady at the store, though, recommended using an acid primer instead of the IBD bonder cause she said it can be quite tricky and cause lifting. I have read the same thing over here so I guess it must be true. :)

I have one question for you though: should I always start the service with the clear thin viscosity gel as a base, or can I prep&prime the nail and just apply the builder gel (clear, pink..) skipping the clear gel step?

thank you all! :)

i love ibd gel. like any system used properly you should have no lifting.
dont listen to that woman at the wholesalers.... applying too much bonder will make the gel lift, by this i mean flooding the nail. also remember to pat the cured bonder with the wipes...
why dont you book on a conversion course? and get all the info that you need? :hug:
good luck! im sure you will be happy with the results x

I have used the ibd bonder and have found that if you put about four dots of bonder on each of the nails and dab with a sponge wipe to cover nails instead of brushing it on works great. Make sure, as the other poster has said, to dab the nails after you have cured the bonder with another sponge. You should also used a thin bonding layer of either the clear gel or clear builder gel first before building the nail. HTH!

Last edited:
I have worked with IBD for years and am just a bit confused what the problem is with the bonder. Its so easy to apply, just dot on the nail and dab with a lint free wipe, just apply a tiny amount. I sometimes use the IBD stick primer before the bonder as well if the clients nails are particularly oily x

Hello,

i am in need of desperate help! I did a gel& acrylic extension course and practised on a few people and they have all lifted! I thought the problem might be my tips are too shiny and the gel doesnt like it? So now i buff the tips, cap the edge with gel and top coat. Hopefully this works,

I have just bought some IBD bonder hoping this will solve my problem, just asking at what stage do you apply the bonder?

Many thanks

Jess

Hello,

i am in need of desperate help! I did a gel& acrylic extension course and practised on a few people and they have all lifted! I thought the problem might be my tips are too shiny and the gel doesnt like it? So now i buff the tips, cap the edge with gel and top coat. Hopefully this works,

I have just bought some IBD bonder hoping this will solve my problem, just asking at what stage do you apply the bonder?

Many thanks

Jess

Are you using the IBD system? If not you should not be using the IBD bonder.
Until now have you not been using any form of primer/bonder?

Hello,

Many thanks

Jess

It concerns me that you did a nail anhancement course and they didnt teach you when to apply primer/bonder? Did you get any reading materials with your course. Somewhere in there they should have outlined the steps. I am a big stickler for following proper steps. Once i was doing my own toes and forgot primer on one foot as i was distracted. Those nails lifted off within a week. The other foot held beautifully. So your lifting problem may be caused by not using or incorrect use of a primer/bonder

I always use the bonder that is in the range of gel that i am using, and the quick answer is, use it sparingly before applying your base coat of gel.

At the moment i use young nails synergy gel so my step by step would look like this:

cuticle work, basic file and shape
Remove shine from nail and use swipe to clean nail plate
Apply protein bonder
Apply second coat of protein bonder if needed ( problem lifters etc)

Taking the time to ensure your prep work is thorough helps a lot, personally i would rather spend an extra few minutes perfecting the prep than race through it and have all the nails lift or fall off.

:)

It concerns me that you did a nail anhancement course and they didnt teach you when to apply primer/bonder? Did you get any reading materials with your course. Somewhere in there they should have outlined the steps. I am a big stickler for following proper steps. Once i was doing my own toes and forgot primer on one foot as i was distracted. Those nails lifted off within a week. The other foot held beautifully. So your lifting problem may be caused by not using or incorrect use of a primer/bonder

I always use the bonder that is in the range of gel that i am using, and the quick answer is, use it sparingly before applying your base coat of gel.

At the moment i use young nails synergy gel so my step by step would look like this:

cuticle work, basic file and shape
Remove shine from nail and use swipe to clean nail plate
Apply protein bonder
Apply second coat of protein bonder if needed ( problem lifters etc)

Taking the time to ensure your prep work is thorough helps a lot, personally i would rather spend an extra few minutes perfecting the prep than race through it and have all the nails lift or fall off.

:)
ibd is really good if i could afford it i would have used it rather nsi but you win some lose some i guess:irked:

I am trained in IBD acrylic and gel and haven't had problems with them.

Like another post has said apply a thin layer of IBD bonder (scrub the brush into the nail when doing it)then pat it with an IBD sponge and cure under your UV lamp then apply your gel.

Dont forgot to prep your nail and apply IBD dehydrate before your bonder.
hope it helps :hug:

Hey! I use ibd on myself and for the few home clients I have. The texture does take a bit of getting use to so you gotta be quick. I have always seen that the have the primer and bonder in the gel line and I never really understood why they had both so I use the bonder and I have never had an issue.

I agree the intense seal is s bit of a dissapointment so I don't use it. I have the soak off and regular both are good products.

Ibd usually pairs their primer (involes no curing) with their acrylic kits, and bonder (involves 1 minute cure in UV lamp)with their gels. Thats why they have both. :)

IBD Primer and Bonder are two separate things as Chickafish has advised. I've used IBD for nearly 7 years and never had a problem with lifting and i wear my nails very long.
On my own nails I don't use Bonder, I just scrub in a really thin layer of clear builder gel, cure, then builder gel as per normal.
And I agree with Jocie, about Intense Seal. I found that it gives an amazing shine but tends to leave spiky bits once cured.

I have young nails protein bonder, would I be able to use IBD builder gel with this bonder or would it be better to use the IBD bonder with the IBD ge?

Thanks

Using a whole system is always the best choice to achieve the best results. It is the way it is.

Many choose to ignore the fact, but who knows how much better their hard work would last if they just stuck to the system? I always do. I don't like to take chances with my clients or a successful result for the reputation of my business.

Latest posts

Back