I'm in need of some moral support....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivone

Reaction score
I posted a post earlier about my prices as I'm not sure whether to reduce them or not.

Since opening 9 weeks ago (within this gym) I've gained 3 regulars - gym members who have something every week, then I've done treatments on 2 other gym members but these have been one offs as 'they said' they can't afford to do the treatments every week/fortnight/month, then I've done treatments on 2 complete strangers who noticed my leaflets and website and then I've done 3 friends/Family members and that's it.

I get quite a few people come up to me asking what I do and how much, after a brief convo and I hand them a price list they go and I don't see them again - well not to talk shop anyway.

I'm having some signage done for the walls outside the gym, which I should be put up later this week so that I can grab the passers by trade, and I'm doing a flyer with the gym owners (he takes one side and I'm taking the other side), I have an A board outside when I'm in the studio and I sometimes leaflet drop in the square and shops.

I don't know what else to do - please help, I feel like all this advertising is going down the swanny and I have nothing (hardly) to show for it.

I'm wanting to do courses so that I can use nice professional products rather than warehouse stuff and I just can't afford it.

I wanted to do a course really soon on eyelash extensions as I have 3 people waiting to have them done as soon as I pass but I just don't know how I'm going to get the money together after all this advertising I'm doing or getting.

Please help me or just tell me what I need to hear :irked:

how about doing some free taster sessions for gym members and maybe a 10 % dicount voucher if they book a treatment within the next couple of weeks ?

Hi
I was looking at your other post and im not sure what area your from but your prices are a bit dear if you were in my area. What are the prices like in other salons where you are?
Posted via Mobile Device

how about doing some free taster sessions for gym members and maybe a 10 % dicount voucher if they book a treatment within the next couple of weeks ?

Good idea about free taster sessions, I was thinking of doing something in the reception area but what could I do to the guys which won't make them uncomfortable in the gym area.

I already offer all the gym members 20% discount on all treatments and also a loyalty scheme for everyone whereby I give them a free treatment when they've reached their 5th treatment.

weej87 - I'm going to go and get price lists from the two large gyms that are not far from me (ones Fitness first and the other is David Lloyd) so I don't currently know how much theirs are.
However, there is a beautician in a hairdressers on the high street - walking distance from me and she is VERY cheap like £7.00 for a manicure and £10 for a facial, I could never compete with those prices.

Unfortunately I don't have a decent facial range (I just can't afford it) and so I brought the 'Solutions' range just in case I did get anyone through the door. Luckily no-one has enquired about facials let alone have them so I've not had to use the products - so very glad I didn't invest in an expensive brand.

Yeah do that and see what their prices are like. Dont come down 2the other salons prices as thats way 2 low. As you only have a basic facial range just try to promote it as best you can for now. x
Posted via Mobile Device

I was thinking on these leaflets that I was going to get done up with the gym member was to offer 50% off all treatments, if they brought the leaflet in, then I would know if that form of advertising would be beneficial.

This way, I wouldn't have to do anything with my prices at the moment but then just see what call I get for treatments before ACTUALLY reducing them, or do you think I should reduce them by a couple of quid and then offer 50% discount as well as?

The business you are operating from already has an existing client base.
Would the owner of the gym have details of members email address's?

You could could put together a pdf file with a brief outlay of what you have to offer & ask him to send it to the members via email for you[privacy]

Include an offer to good to refuse.50% off 1st treatment.No expiry date?
Benefits of being a member/client of the gym.

Mention in it that they are welcome to forward it to a friend or friend's
with a 30% off 1st treatment for those non gym members?
Add the offer on your website for non gym members 30% off 1st treatment & include an expiry date.

That covers the inside of the gym with no printing costs involved & will help to keep them reminded that you're there.

The business you are operating from already has an existing client base.
Would the owner of the gym have details of members email address's?

You could could put together a pdf file with a brief outlay of what you have to offer & ask him to send it to the members via email for you[privacy]

Include an offer to good to refuse.50% off 1st treatment.No expiry date?
Benefits of being a member/client of the gym.

Brilliant idea but the gym isn't exactly what I call 'adminsitratively adapt' they have been open for years and only just got in a finger print entry system fitted, its been badly run by past owners and the new owners now are doing everything they can to update it physically and paperwork wise.

I'm even doing them a website as they don't currently have one and I've been talking about mine and the manager asked me to do one for them.

I even suggested ways on making it more visually approachable at the entrance as the main entrance was a little to be desired and wasn't really fit for new clientele coming to have a look so I suggested various things and some of them have been carried out - it can only improve my business too if I help them - but we do negotiate various 'favours' when it comes to marketing so at the moment we are working together to market each other - its great in that respect.

But anyway what I am trying to tell you is that email addresses 'what are they'? lol I don't think there system records them or they just choose not to have them ??

OK, some of what I say might be a little hard, but if you want your business to succeed you have to work at it.

So, you're not busy at the moment. This means that you can take time out of your day to go to networking groups and get your name out there.
A quick google reveals that there is a meeting in July specifically for beauty therapists in your area.
Birmingham Beauty Consultants (Birmingham) - Meetup.com
Now, this might be useful and interesting, but you really need to find a group where there will be people who want your services.
I joined the Athena Network, and so far have made over 3K as a result. Not bad for a 200 quid initial investment!
.:. Attend An Athena Meeting - Current Groups - Womens Business Networking .:.
Go to the bottom of the page and you will find meetings in the west midlands. You can go to 2 meetings and pay just for your lunch (usually £25) before you decide whether joining is right for you. Make sure you have business cards and flyers with you, and practise your one minute pitch on your harshest critic, not your mum who'll think you're wonderful even if you read out your shopping list.

There is also a group called Ladies who Latte. The ladies here tend to be less high end, but they're lovely and supportive, which may be what you need just now. I go to several local LWL meetings and have had a bit of business out of them, but I've made friends, and through them I've got more business.

http://www.ladieswholatte.com/index.htm

There doesn't appear to be a group in your area, but you can easily start one - just contact Sharon (top right hand of the page) and she'll point you in the right direction. If you check out my blog I've given a few ideas about how to start one and how to get people to come.

Make friends with your local newspaper women's editor. Email her, offering her a free treatment, and do a reader offer too. Next time she's doing a feature on beauty she'll think of you! I did this, and as a result I got to do the makeup for a front cover, and an inside article, with loads of free advertising.
OutAndAbout

I started a thread about more ways to promote your business. Given the number of emails I've had from people here I think some of them work quite well!

http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/83160-more-ways-promote-your-business.html

Do you have a local parish magazine? Find out. Contact your local library and ask them to show you all the local magazines. Contact every editor, offer them a free mini treatment, and ask them how much to put a flyer in the mag, or place an ad.

Get a decent skincare range - people will search you out for it. SwissDermyl has brilliant packages for baby startup companies at truly minimal cost. They'll even do pay as you earn packages too.

The main thrust of my advice is that it's up to you to get your name out there; don't wait for people to find you - it'll take years!
Work hard at this - you'll be knackered but I'd rather be exhausted from success than rested from failure, wouldn't you?!

Right, if the gym dosnt have a record of email addresses then set up a little table and chair in reception and as everyone comes in get them to update their details, address, tel, email. It would take minutes and then you have your marketing list.
Sounds like you have the time to do it!

Right, if the gym dosnt have a record of email addresses then set up a little table and chair in reception and as everyone comes in get them to update their details, address, tel, email. It would take minutes and then you have your marketing list.
Sounds like you have the time to do it!

That's a good idea - I'll ask the manager for permission tomorrow and get a form designed for them.

Wow Calla, some excellent examples and suggestions and I'm all raring to do more now. I think the problem with me is that I'm not affraid to admit that I'm not the best business person in the world and to be honest its all still pretty new to me so I'm constantly learning.
Also, because I only get support at home in the sense of supporting what I'm doing I don't really get any encouragement or suggestions so I seem to lull into a negative self-esteem role and then I find it hard to keep myself motivated.
Hopefully by letting people on here know via my blog or by asking questions hopefully I can get what I need here to keep me on the wavelength I need to be on.
I'm not afraid of hard work but sometimes I do think 'is it all worth it?' and then I have to step back and tell myself 'YES IT BLOODY IS YOU SILLY FOOL - GET ON WITH IT'
Right big Kick up the backside is what I need and I have to remember to do it myself coz no one else will hehe
Thanks Calla - you've set my wheels in motion :)

Latest posts

Back