Impossible nail art

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simone Daly

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm really struggling with nail art. I can never manage to get my lines thin and sharp. I really love the lace effect and tiny details but they end up looking silly. I've tried using both polish and acrylic paint and I've changed my brushes but to no avail. Am I missing something? Are there amazing brushes out there or some sort of special nail art paint I need to invest in? Any advice welcome! Thanks [emoji173]️

Some designs are easier than others. For intricate work there are easier ways to work than those which you describe: stamping plates, stickers, foils etc.

Freehand is awesome if you can do it but it's not the end of the world if you use other techniques.

I just offer glitter, stamped designs, stickers and foils. No free hand painting.
I have lots of wheels with nail art samples for the clients to look at and they seem quite happy with the wide choice.

Stamping all the way! Especially for lace designs etc

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes stamping seems to be really popular but I was really hoping to be able to do my own designs! I might just give in at this stage! I'm sure my clients don't mind, it's just me really!

Life's too short for freehand......stamp it! :p

I do freehand designs using various brushes and acrylic paint with water.
I like the crystal nails and Magpie brushes best.
I'm looking to buy nail art gel too

I love freehand art. I use tiny brushes with traditional polish. You have to clean the brush frequently and thin out polish.. I have always been a painter and it helped when starting nail art. I will say though that stamping is a much quicker way to achieve some looks. I will frequently stamp and then add in hand painted details.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 113
some people use a nail art pen. Depends on the design, you can use DG brand invisible tape and tape the area you want the paint to stay away from. On You Tube a page called cutepolish that has tips on things related to nails such as nail art. You Tube has a lot of tips. : )

https://www.youtube.com/user/cutepolish

Rather than being defeated by it why not look at it as an opportunity to skill build?

Find a brillbird or crystal nails educator who can offer you a fine line art skills class.

Fine line art skills are the foundations for all freehand nail art - it will teach you brush control, composition, lines/shapes and all the fundamentals. Plus it's fun!

Last edited:
For me I know the key was to use a super thin brush, like almost only 1 hair! Every brush I buy it have to cut down to customize. Good luck, if you practice it you'll get it, if you give up there's always stamping, or embedding real lace into acrylic or gel.

Thanks so much for all the help. Yes I'm thinking of doing an up skill course because I can't seem to let it go! Ha ha! PrincessSara I've been taking down the brushes but I'll try going a bit further with them. Thanks for the tip!

I have spent a lot of time beating myself up when I could not perfect a particular nail art technique. One stroke and water marbling elude me. Despite nail art training, many tutorials and many hours practising.
At the end of the day, find the technique/product that allows you to produce the effect you want and enjoy doing it, and forget the ones that give you grief. Pigment powder/foil and stamping work for me, and I enjoy doing them. By all means try other techniques but ensure its stays fun. If you hate doing....stop trying. That's just my opinion. Apologies to anyone who doesn't share my view.

What nail art foils do you girls recommend? I've looked on eBay but there's lots of mixed reviews I have used minx years ago x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back