In a hurry to go nowhere!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellaMia

Reaction score
Hopefully someone else out there will share the same feeling I'm having here....

Why is it that I feel so stressed and under pressure if I am taking longer than an hour to do a clients nails? I mean I book back to back, one after another, I've been doing that for years now but I can tell when someone is getting all impatient if they are there a little longer than normal. I feel like they are thinking "God, when is she going to be done?!" Of course they don't factor in the time it takes to replace nails if they need it or things like that.
But I thought to myself last night, I'm sure these people sit at their hairdressers for well over and hour and I'm sure they are fine with that but when it comes to getting their nails done do they honestly think they are going to get in and out and a professional job done in an hour or under? I'm sure it's possible, I know it's possible. I know some of you can do your full sets and rebalances in a very short amount of time but with L&P it takes me a good 1 hour-1 hour 15 minutes for rebalances and with a Brisa rebalance it's been taking me a good 1 1/2 hours.

Like last night for example: I did my first Brisa rebalance on someone and a few minutes after she sat down she said "How many steps will there be this time!?" and then she laughed. Ticked me off !

well....it still takes me 2 hours on a good day!! I sometimes take longer than that if there are nails that need replacing etc, and it doesnt seem to matter how much i try to get my head down and get on with it, I still cant seem to get it done any quicker than that!
I must admit, we do have a good chat and a laugh, but I'd feel awkward just sitting there saying nothing at all.
If I could do my rebalances in an hour or an hour and fifteen minutes i'd be very pleased with myself! take no notice, they can have quick shortcut nails that dont stay on etc.or they can have properly prepped nails that look good until the next rebalance, IMO you cant have both without cutting corners!! im not saying that you dont build up speed with practise, but there comes a time that you cant go any quicker! you wouldnt expect to go to a hairdressers, to use your example, and come out with a cut, highlights and blowdry in an hour!
Maybe your brisa client didnt mean to tick you off - probably doesnt realise that we are paranoid about timings. Was she originally an L&P client? that would seem strange to them probably to go from one that just goes on in one go to one that goes on in stages..... xx

Yes, she was a l&p client for a long time and has recently switched to Brisa. I'm not saying she is a bad person, we get along great and we also have alot of laughs....I just feel like sometimes they take us for granted and they don't realize what all goes into our work.

I will say though....since I am just now introducing Brisa as another service, when I tell a client about it one of the first things they ask me is "How long does it take?" It's like you can give them an approximate time frame but they need to understand that more time will be needed if there's extra work to do.

Personally, i think your clients should be grateful you take time over your work. wish you were my nail tech!

People are in such a hurry nowerdays! I love to be pampered, and the longer it takes, the better.

Don't let ungrateful clients get you down, its obvious you do a good job and care about your work. Don't let anyone destroy that hun.

Maybe a small sign on your desk giving the approximate amount of time needed to do a full set etc. Saying..... for your convenience here is an estimate of my time.

L&P full set approx 1hr 15mins
L&P rebalance approx 1 hour
L&P rebalance plus broken nail replacements approx 1hr 15 -1hr 30 depending on work needed.

They can be looking at that when they are having their nails done and it may eventually get set in their minds, that extra work takes extra time.

Ohhh good point, subtle as well.

Cameo Val said:
Maybe a small sign on your desk giving the approximate amount of time needed to do a full set etc. Saying..... for your convenience here is an estimate of my time.

L&P full set approx 1hr 15mins
L&P rebalance approx 1 hour
L&P rebalance plus broken nail replacements approx 1hr 15 -1hr 30 depending on work needed.

They can be looking at that when they are having their nails done and it may eventually get set in their minds, that extra work takes extra time.

I feel exactly like this too, i like to tell them though. People who havent had their nails done before thinks its a mattet of sticking the nails down or something. One person said "what have you to do next" when i tell them they are like "oh" and that makes me uncomfortable and i dont feel relaxed and end up rushing and making them look horrible. It feels like i am making it very unpleasant for them and i hate that! When they know i am more relaxed and make a better job. But thats a good idea stating the times, since i still take about 2-5 hours, what would your client be like with me.

Thanks hun :)

amyuk said:
Personally, i think your clients should be grateful you take time over your work. wish you were my nail tech!

People are in such a hurry nowerdays! I love to be pampered, and the longer it takes, the better.

Don't let ungrateful clients get you down, its obvious you do a good job and care about your work. Don't let anyone destroy that hun.

Looks like you and I think alot alike! lol
Yes, I feel really pressured and uncomfortable when they act like I am keeping them there forever. My favorite is when I can see them turning their wrist to look at their watch ...don't they realize that I can see them doing that?

zoeCU said:
I feel exactly like this too, i like to tell them though. People who havent had their nails done before thinks its a mattet of sticking the nails down or something. One person said "what have you to do next" when i tell them they are like "oh" and that makes me uncomfortable and i dont feel relaxed and end up rushing and making them look horrible. It feels like i am making it very unpleasant for them and i hate that! When they know i am more relaxed and make a better job. But thats a good idea stating the times, since i still take about 2-5 hours, what would your client be like with me.

I too am in the same boat, takes me awhile to get the job done right. So I posted a sign that says, "Be prepared to sit for 2 hours, Quality before Quanity!"
Then to stop the chattering and chatting , I set up a small little TV set in my room, that the clients watch! Sure makes their time fly by! I even now have ladies that will book on a certain day/time just so we can "watch" our fav show. I might add that I only get to listen to the show, they watch. But it sure has helped me fill the long time slots, no more worring about how long i will be the time passes just fine now for them!!
~Jac

yet another good tip! You could even charge more for video's!

Now getting videos would be a heck of an idea!! Have to remember that one!!
lol.. allways looking for ways to "add" on to a service! too funny!

So would the cost be more if it was a Chippendales video where they do the full monty, as opposed to something from Disney.

Tavinailtech said:
"Be prepared to sit for 2 hours, Quality before Quanity!"
~Jac

What an excellent idea sorry but may have to pinch that one from you.
x

scattyfox said:
What an excellent idea sorry but may have to pinch that one from you.
x

I get lots of comments on the sign!
pinch away!

With reference to having a tv in the salon: I tried having a tv in the salon for a while to see how it went but found my staff sat watching it all day & it put customers off coming in.

I have a client/friend who hates having her nails soaked off & keeps pulling her nails out to see how they are doing, thus making it take even longer. I found that the best way to stop her was to set up my laptop playing a dvd next to the nail station. This kept her quiet & took her mind off the time. I did this a couple of times & she now complains that I don't do it all the time!

I know what you mean about feeling pressured to finish quickly but I'm sure your regulars will understand that it is better to spend a bit of extra time making sure they get a good result rather than rushing & ending up with problems. Don't worry about it, they are obviously happy with your work or they wouldn't keep coming back! I make sure my regulars know how long things take & ask them, if possible, to let me know if they have any breakages in advance so that I can make sure I leave them enough time so I don't end up rushing.

Your times sound fine, I take over an hour to do a rebalance normally, though I actually find a Brisa rebalance faster than l&p as filing is easier so takes less time.

I am just trying to get back into Nails and did my first full set last night - took 4 hours EEK! I think the more you panic about time the longer it eventually take - more speed less haste as my Granny would say. Although I know from experiance getting your nails done if facinating and folk are mesmerised by what your doing sometime I wish they wouldnt watch so closely as it makes me more nervous. ESP when trying to get the smile lines right.
Some really goods ideas - think I might try the TV idea at least until I get my confidence & speed up and as it would mean less chatting, which for me can be a problem.

nemotail said:
- think I might try the TV idea at least until I get my confidence & speed up and as it would mean less chatting, which for me can be a problem.

that was a biggy for me too. as soon as ppl watched me my hands would shake , this has stoped this for me. As for Other people in the salon watching the tv, well i am at home and i am the only one there with the client, so it has been like a godsend for me! Too each their own but the TV has really helped me in more ways then one!
~jac

Latest posts

Back