Insurance cover & pregnancy massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFBS

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just posting this as it may be helpful to other therapists qualified in massage.

I hold qualifications in massage and aromatherapy and I wanted to know what I am covered for, with regard to pregnant ladies and massage treatments. I have not done the extra pregnancy massage day course.

This is what The Guild have advised:

"Thank you for your email concerning a body massage on a pregnant client

You can be insured to carry out a full body massage on a pregnant client without having a specific pregnancy massage qualification. The Pregnancy massage qualifications is one we would recommend you complete but it isn't essential. The pregnancy massage course teaches you a variety of different massage techniques that allow you to make the client more comfortable during the massage.

If you wish to offer a pregnant client a standard massage treatment then you must adhere to the following conditions of cover-

a) Have undertaken sufficient checks and recorded such checks in writing on the client’s records that they have obtained consent from their Midwife or GP as to the suitability of the treatment prior to its performance and

b) Do not massage over the abdomen; and

c) Do not carry out the treatment in the first trimester; and

d) Do not massage the pressure points on either side of the ankle, nor massage the webbing between the thumb and index finger.

If your client has advised you that her midwife/GP has verbally given their consent for the treatment to be carried out, you would be insured. It is necessary for you to get the client to write and sign a statement to say she has been given verbal consent by her midwife/GP.

However, If you have any doubts about the safety of performing the treatment, you should always ask the client to obtain written consent from her Midwife or GP prior to performing the treatment e.g if the client advises that she has a history of miscarriage or has any other medical conditions that are being treated by a medical practitioner that may or may not be related to the pregnancy. "

Just thought this might be helpful to those similar to myself :)

Latest posts

Back