Is anyone else frustrated by Essie?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r9xye

Reaction score
Hi guys

Sorry if this sounds like a rant but I would just like to know if anyone else feels the same as I do.

As we all know L'oreal have taken back the Essie accounts from Louella Belle who I have always purchased Essie from. I have been very passionate about the Essie brand for many years and it has always been my first and only choice in nail varnish. My clients love it and I have always supported it even before it started to get extremely popular.

When I found out Louella Belle were no longer suppling Essie I called L'oreal in July to ask how I continue using and promoting the brand. I was told that I would have to order through alanhoward.com as I am a mobile therapist. I registered on the website to find that they haven't even got any recent colours online. In fact not a single colour that has been released this year was on the website. As it was the time of year for new summer colours I was checking almost every day as I had the majority of my clients asking for the colours for their holidays. I had to keep apologising and looking like a bit of an idiot really as my clients have always been used to me having the latest colours as soon as they came out.

Now it is time for the 2014 fall collection I have again been on the alan howard website and like the summer collection no new colours. So once again I'm apologising to clients and looking unprofessional for not keeping up with my normal standards.

I thought I would call alan howard but there is no main head office contact number just a list of 20 odd stores. Where do I start? Do I call every store? Being extremely busy working in the day I don't have time for this and getting home late the stores are closed.

I thought the best thing to do would be to contact L'oreal again. I left a message for someone to call me back a week later still no phone call so I call again to be told the following.

I cannot order Essie direct from L'oreal as my business is not registered to a salon and they cannot send orders to a residential address and to use alan howard. I explained the alan howard situation and asked is there no possible way of getting the products direct from L'oreal. Again they said no they will only send to a salon. I have worked in a salon for over 7 years running the beauty side of the business but on a rental basis therefore I always kept the business registered to my home address as it's easier. I have a lot of elderly clients, clients with children some disabled clients and clients that preferred a service at home so I decided to do the best for my business and better it by going mobile to accommodate more clients and offer a better service to my current clients.

I now feel that by trying to better myself I'm being penalised by L'oreal. I am a fully qualified therapist that has invested a lot of time and money into training to make myself the therapist I am today and to offer an outstanding service and treatments to my clients. I feel that therapists are the bridge between brand and client and there are plenty of brands competing against each other I have selected Essie to be my chosen brand by this I am supporting there product and advertising them to the consumer and in return I get made to feel that I am not good enough to order from them.

If you are fully qualified to use a product and want to supply it to the client and support the brand then why are they making it so hard for me to do this?

Have any other fellow Essie therapists had problems? I would love to hear other people's views on the matter. I understand salons place bigger orders which means more money but how do they know how much or how little I order each month?

The only thing L'oreal could do for me is give me a number for someone at alan howard that is meant to be dealing with the Essie account.

Sorry again for the long post and the rant I just wanted to speak to fellow professionals that will hopefully understand why I'm feeling angry and upset

How frustrating for you.

Personally if this was me, I would be looking for a company that appreciates my custom. A company that, even if they can't directly help me, may be able to point me in the direction of someone who can.

I know its not easy or without cost to change brands, but some companies really need to remember that the relationship you have with your distributor works both ways and is mutually respectful.

If you feel you have gone as far as you can with this issue and you feel like nothing has been resolved, vote with your feet and find a distributor that appreciates your custom as much as you appreciate their support.

Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I feel for you.

I was on the Louella Belle website earlier and they still have Essie for sale on there. I'm assuming they still have stock to sell and perhaps they have a date when they can no longer do so.

I don't know if you have already but , it may be worth calling louella belle to get some advise from them and perhaps ask if they have any stock left to sell.

I received an Essie delivery from them about 2weeks ago so hopefully they can help you with your situation

Thank you for this post! I've run out of a couple of colours, looked on louella belle and they're out of stock. Literally haven't had the time to call l'oreal and find out what's going on so now I know! Hmm.... Not sure what to do now as I'm mobile too but essie are my most popular brand of polishes by a mile!

If you are at all able...
Try registering again and even use a different email address if you need to. Your home address IS your registered business address, same as a salon in my opinion.

Thanks for your responses guys it nice to know I'm not the only one that's in this annoying situation.

I did contact louella belle and they have a limited amount of stock left so I did manage to order some colours. However they are no longer able to order from l'oreal therefore they haven't had this years summer and autumn collections. Which is really annoying when clients are seeing them advertised in magazines and I haven't got them in stock.

Essie is a fantastic brand the product quality is great and the colour selection is one of the best in my opinion. I am finding it frustrating that mobile therapists are treated differently when we hold the relevant qualifications and we are more than competent in providing treatments with the Essie products.

I am going to give alan Howard one last try I appreciate for them it's a long transition stage however they should of been more prepared for this. And as for my business being registered at home l'oreal said they will only despatch to a commercial premises not a residential like you have mentioned what's the difference if this is where my business is registered to.

It's great to see that there are people supporting and giving advice on this subject. Thanks again x

How frustrating for you.

Personally if this was me, I would be looking for a company that appreciates my custom. A company that, even if they can't directly help me, may be able to point me in the direction of someone who can.

I know its not easy or without cost to change brands, but some companies really need to remember that the relationship you have with your distributor works both ways and is mutually respectful.

If you feel you have gone as far as you can with this issue and you feel like nothing has been resolved, vote with your feet and find a distributor that appreciates your custom as much as you appreciate their support.

Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree the therapist does a lot of work for the brand taking it to the client and selling it to them. If it wasn't for the therapist how would the brands name get out to the public? It is very frustrating when you don't get the support returned.
At the moment I will see if alan Howard manage to get their act together and see if l'oreal will do more than give an insincere apology for basically discriminating against mobile therapists. If I don't get anywhere I may have to look at a more supportive and accommodating brand x

Does anyone have any contact details for loreal rep for south west? We haven't had any contact from loreal and will need to place a stock order very shortly. We've used Essie for years but wondering if there will be any support from loreal or if it is time to look for a new range

Does anyone have any contact details for loreal rep for south west? We haven't had any contact from loreal and will need to place a stock order very shortly. We've used Essie for years but wondering if there will be any support from loreal or if it is time to look for a new range

If you are a salon l'oreal will welcome you with open arms. However if you are a mobile therapist or freelance they won't have any time for you. As I have experienced. L'oreal have passed my details on to someone at alan Howard who is contacting me about ordering but it has been a painful process to get to this stage

I just called essie. After speaking to a very helpful lady on the consumer side of things she passed me over to the pro side. Apparently they're 'not taking on anymore accounts at the moment' and she would get a rep to call me.

Meanwhile, I've been on the Alan Howard website and they have no more than 23 essie colours online (I counted). I live in the south so can't go to a shop either.

Hugely frustrated at the moment. I completely understand their principles for going salon-only (whether I agree with it or not is another matter) but to not even let therapists know their moves in their press release, or to have a point of contact for people that have previously shopped with louella belle is a real shame.

The problem is, essie really is mine and my clients favourite brand.

Ladies I have made some progress. I have spoken to the lady at alan Howard that is dealing with the Essie side of the business. She has emailed me with a full list of colours, treatments even the new Essie gel. Her number is 01782 289573 and her name is Harjit. She was very helpful and keen to get me set up and order in asap. Why l'oreal can't be helpful enough to point everyone in her direction I don't know. But we now have a contact. I hope this helps you all. They seem to have great offers on Essie and hopefully it won't be too different from the great experience we all had with louella belle x

Ladies I have made some progress. I have spoken to the lady at alan Howard that is dealing with the Essie side of the business. She has emailed me with a full list of colours, treatments even the new Essie gel. Her number is 01782 289573 and her name is Harjit. She was very helpful and keen to get me set up and order in asap. Why l'oreal can't be helpful enough to point everyone in her direction I don't know. But we now have a contact. I hope this helps you all. They seem to have great offers on Essie and hopefully it won't be too different from the great experience we all had with louella belle x

Couldn't be more helpful! Calling first thing Monday morning thank you so much :) xxx

Your welcome. I'm glad I finally have got somewhere and can help fellow therapists in the same situation out x

I was looking to use Essie when I'm qualified....not so sure now!

I was looking to use Essie when I'm qualified....not so sure now!

I would still use it. It is the best polish I have used and I've been using it for over 6 years now. It's my clients favourite polish and all my clients want to buy it from me which is good for your retail sales. Now I have finally got a number for the person taking control of Essie at alan Howard it's not going to be a problem ordering. She sent me over details of their full range yesterday and have everything in stock. So I would say contact them the number is in a previous post on here and don't contact l'oreal x

I would still use it. It is the best polish I have used and I've been using it for over 6 years now. It's my clients favourite polish and all my clients want to buy it from me which is good for your retail sales. Now I have finally got a number for the person taking control of Essie at alan Howard it's not going to be a problem ordering. She sent me over details of their full range yesterday and have everything in stock. So I would say contact them the number is in a previous post on here and don't contact l'oreal x

Sorry, have a question. Is it Essie Gel you use? If so, what's your opinion/experiences of it, please?

Sorry, have a question. Is it Essie Gel you use? If so, what's your opinion/experiences of it, please?

I haven't used the Essie gel yet as louella belle never stocked it and it's a new thing to the industry. I use bio sculpture gel which has always been a favourite with my clients x

Just a quick update - spoke to Harjit at Alan Howard today. She's lovely, very helpful and sent me through a full stock list straight away. *sigh of relief!!!*

Jules - did they have more colours in stock than what is advertised on the Alan Howard website. I also use Essie so wondering whether to stick with it or change!! Also why isn't L'Oreal dropping the contract with AH?? I am very confused as to what to do!

Latest posts

Back