Is it aceptable to ask a Beauty Therapist not to do any nail treatments?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoney

Reaction score
I am considering renting a room in my new salon to a self employed Beauty Therapist under the following conditions:

£125 per week...she can work as many hours as she likes except a Sunday and Monday when the salon is closed.
This will include all bills, a newly decorated and fully equipped beauty room, laundry, refreshments, use of staff room, use of receptionist and inclusion on price lists and all advertising.

I would expect her/him to provide their own products and would like them to wear a our uniform, which I am also happy to provide.

However, I would ask them not to include any nail services on their treatment list...we are a nail salon first and foremost and this is where the salon's main income comes from. I do not want the two businesses to clash. Would this be acceptable to you?

Why not? You are the business owner and therefore should be able to set your own terms for any room rental contract. But perhaps check the legalities with a solicitor just to be safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't think it is a problem to find a therapist who would be unhappy to leave off nails - I for one am not qualified to do enhanced nails so am always happier to leave that to the experts, I love love love facials so........

Last edited:
You say she cant work sunday or monday because YOU are closed but what if she wants to,
wont she have a set of keys ?
when i rented space i had keys and could come and go as i pleased,
she may have clients that can only come on a sunday or monday,
just a thought hun :hug:

Your salon....your rules ..... thats what you will advertise for & thats the job.....

Yes the sun/mon may be an advantage to your salon....or it may be too much hassle, trust and all that comes into play then x

you can say whatever terms you like when you advertise it.

you can say they can access it when closed or not.. but personally i wouldnt not at first...

there isnt anythin illegal about it its just the terms of taking your space as long as you have told them. you will still get a response as i did something similar and people still called.

I would totally rent that space from you if i had a client base where you are.
i would be worried though about starting brand new with no client base there though.

I think that asking them to not do nails is fine, a lot of beauty therapists only do manicure/pedicures anyway. Also it wouldnt make much sense for them to be doing the nails there, as they would be in competition with the salon which is a nail salon anyway.
Im sure the beauty therapist would be busy enough with waxing facials tanning etc.

Sounds like excellent terms to me!

I am considering renting a room in my new salon to a self employed Beauty Therapist under the following conditions:

£125 per week...she can work as many hours as she likes except a Sunday and Monday when the salon is closed.
This will include all bills, a newly decorated and fully equipped beauty room, laundry, refreshments, use of staff room, use of receptionist and inclusion on price lists and all advertising.

I would expect her/him to provide their own products and would like them to wear a our uniform, which I am also happy to provide.

However, I would ask them not to include any nail services on their treatment list...we are a nail salon first and foremost and this is where the salon's main income comes from. I do not want the two businesses to clash. Would this be acceptable to you?

you have to be very,very careful here - the nature of what you have said ( wearing a uniform and dictating the hours/services) means that the person is technically not self employed - meaning you could have a lot of problems with hmrc further along the line.

in being self employed - you do as you wish - run your own 'seperate' business. there may be no problem with the 'no nail' policy, but from a legal perspective you can't put the same demands in place for hours, uniform etc.... by advertising that way also, hmrc then have evidence of your intention to take on an employee (tho renting) to improve your business - on your own terms - without paying the PAYE.

Just be careful....

It sounds like a good deal to me, that's only £25 a day all inclusive.

You may want to think about offering it on a percentage basis for a set period to start with, to give them time to build up a client base (e.g. percentage basis for 3 months, then set rate of £125 per week thereafter).

And no, I wouldn't have an issue with not doing nail treatments - you set the rules.

Latest posts

Back