Is it me or is it the Product????? :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
Yet another problem. Now I am encountering another problem - after applying product and filing in nails I can reallly see where the product is ending and the nail begins at the cuticle. I have made sure not too go to close to the cuticle and left a small margain. But after applying my product which looks fine, I have then gone to file it in and found the the acrylic just by the cuticle looks awful. I'm not sure if when I have filed it in the acrylic is wearing away because it looks fine before I file. But after filing a little bit of acrylic has come away at the base of the nails - making it already look like nails have lifted. I'm not sure if I am describing this to well. I'm just really dissapointed. I'm not sure if it is me or my product :( I kind of hope it is me so then it can be fixed and not such a waste of product. I havn't really had this problem before when using another brand product. Does anyone have any suggestions. Charlene.

I only really do gel but...from memory i would say that first make sure that product application in zone 3 is very thin..so it blends onto the nail, if this is done right them you wont need to go at it with a file that my well be too harsh and taking it off again...just a white buffing block should do it. I am sure i read about the push and pull meathod on here try doing a search for pull and push. HTH xxx

As Angie said, what grit file are you using to shape your enhancement? If you are using too course a file, you may be filing away the product you have just applied...just a thought!

Hello,
I think I know what you mean, this happened to me, the cuticle looks fine until you file it smoother!, try either just using a buffing block, remember your polish will cover the tiny outline of product at cuticle or make sure that Nothing touches the natural nail during your prep work, any oils will cause the overlay to flake away when filed, however gently you go.
When this first begain to happen I always use to pat my L&P alittle more and smoothed more around the cuticle.
The Push and Pull method, as I understand it is Push your bead upwards AFTER it has settled for a few seconds, make sure your brush has formed a suitable sized bead, Push Up, STOP 2 to 3 mms (sounds alot, but trust me) Clean brush, Flatten brush, brush is now a half circle - cuticle shape - place flattened brush ABOVE L&P bead and PULL downwards, repeat to smooth out sides then back to smooth middle, repeat, repeat, you will know when to stop. The L&P always seems to creep upwards so leave alittle extra space at cuticle. This can be difficult, it took me some time, practice on tips, imagine a cuticle line or draw one on the tip, worked for me, Good Luck

Hi all! Thank you for all your help. So I won't give up on the product just yet. I will give it another go and practise using this method. Thanks again. The file I am using is 100/180 grit and I am using the courser side to file acrylic - is this too harsh? Which side is the courser side? I always get mixed up!

the number of grit refers to the amount of abrasive particles or sand per square inch. The higher the number the smaller the particle so that more will fit in a square inch.

Charlene said:
Hi all! Thank you for all your help. So I won't give up on the product just yet. I will give it another go and practise using this method. Thanks again. The file I am using is 100/180 grit and I am using the courser side to file acrylic - is this too harsh? Which side is the courser side? I always get mixed up!

Hi Charlene
180 softer side
100 rough (too rough!)

100 grit on freshly applied product will give it way too hard a time, it may very well cause it to lose adhesion and lift. If not it will lead to cracking and service breakdown..!!
180 is ok for finishing, but if you are coming close to the natural nail, ie zone 3 you really should try working with a 240 grit. (this will stop the damage to product and stop the possibility of damaging natural nail) hope that helps ;)

This was happening to me so I used my kanga 240 grit near cuticle otherwise you tend to file off the product!!

Hm ok. So maybe this is my problem then. Although I was taught to use this file. 100/180 - they said the rougher side was too file acrylic and the softer side was only to use on da natural nail to rough up slightly before applying enhancements. Hm so maybe all this is too harsh. So what kind of file should I be using to file and shape the acrylic after applied? So should it be 180 to file acrylic and 240 near the sides and cuticles? :)

Latest posts

Back