is the charge worth it

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julia_james

Reaction score
please help me i have been offered a room in my local hairdressing salon and the owner has said i dont have any bills to pay at all and after the costs of the goods ect we share 50/50
does that seem like a good deal to you?

Hiya Julia, Who is providing the products?

i buy all my goods from essential nails
the owner has said once the goods have been paid for then we share all profits

julia_james said:
i buy all my goods from essential nails
the owner has said once the goods have been paid for then we share all profits

So each day you will weigh up how much money you have spent in products for that day and then anything thats left is split 50/50?

yes that is correct

Hi,

Think of it the other way, say you do 5 sets of nails in a day and you take £150.00, do you really think her salon is worth £75 for the day? It sounds very steep to me. I don't pay my landlord that much for my 3 bed house!!!

Also, she clearly wants you so you can enhance her business. Help her keep her customers happy etc.

Ask yourself if you want to be 'her nail person' or if you want to big up yourself and demand a higher status. Don't be sidelined, be the senior Nail Technician!

If you do go for the 50/50 route, here are some ideas to keep your end of the costs down.

Set a daily maximum (you won't ever pay her more than £xx for a single day). There is only so much heat, light, space etc etc that she can claim you use.

Set rules out against costs, we all give extra's and freebies and a little more time for our favourite and most valued customers make sure you account for these as a COST and make sure she shares that cost with you before you hand over her share.

Ensure you are in control of the bookings system for your customers, make sure you get proper breaks worked into your schedule.

Don't be drawn into doing the boss's nails for free - she has to pay for the products used even if she doesn't pay for your time.

Work out with her in advance if she is going to expect you to share costs such as advertising, a half page in the local paper can be a couple of £££ so make sure you know up front if she has some 'shared' spending with your money in mind?

Is she going to expect you to outlay for a nail station, outfit to match the salon etc? Make sure these costs come off the profits of her share before you start giving her money.

On the insurance side - is she going to share half of your risk? If something goes tits up will she pay up too?

She may be able to write off some of the space you use against tax, as its a space she personally isn't taking money for, I am not fully conversant with how this works, an accountant is who we need. You may find she can save some and then you could drop how much you pay?

These are just observations I have picked up locally, it seems a bit of a minefield and sadly I think some unscrupulous owners are taking advantage.

The simplest systems I have seen are:

The Nail Tech pays an hourly rate for the use of the table/station.
The Nail Tech pays a daily % of takings (product costs/insurance/overheads are with the salon)

I hope that helps,
Naomi

Hey there

Not too geared up on this but I know up here in Scotland Hairdressers charge £100 per week to rent space. I think 50/50 is a bit steep. But hey I am a grippy Scot lol.This includes all amenities & if you want to make your own appts so be it.

very informative, thank you so much, you have given me some serious considerations

hi
in way way you could say thats great as ur not paying for utilites but u have to pay for ur products and then share the profit i would be asking my self is it worth it im only new to nails so maybe i am wrong my thats only my opinon there are many out there with a diff one.... but maybe it would work out:biggrin: but what ever happens good luck:Grope:

in a word - no
you are still providing your experienc, knowledge ect - try to haggle with her - say 30-35 - 50 this is abit more fair - in my head anyway chuck

I'm being really nosy could you please tell me which hairdressers it is? is it local to you??

Latest posts

Back