It is becoming common practice again and it needs to stop

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to say a big, thank you :hug: to everyone for their positive response.
I must admit I was a little bit scared that I'd get slammed for writing this.
So glad I didn't:lol:

..... but I always do my best to check my spelling.

In defence of some, when my children were at school (in the 90`s), we, (parents) picked up on bad spelling in some work at parents evening to be told by the teacher, "we don`t correct them anymore". Shocking, but true. :hug:

This is really quite concerning! As an English teacher by day, I have to say I am quite horrified by the idea of teachers allowing incorrect spelling to go uncorrected. The days of red biro are long gone, but mistakes should be pointed out in an appropriate manner.

With regard to the use of text language, we are seeing this creep into students' written work more and more. Texting is fine as a method of informal communication, however, the purpose of it is just that - informal - not for coursework!!!:lol:

I agree with the posters on this thread - I know that texting can be especially confusing for speakers of other languages.

Best Wishes
Sarah

Hi

I also find that since having my daughter i'm quite bad, not on this site but others. If i'm feeding my daughter i'm normally typing one handed and balancing the bottle in the other so i do tend to shorten things just for quickness.

I do that with my son and his bottle when on here - I'm like that now! hehe, but I still manage to write 'long handed' it just takes me longer! hehe

I have to be physically dragged away from the laptop by my ever-patient husband amid much wailing and gnashing of teeth when I see text speak, poor spelling and the ever superfluous apostrophe.
It is appalling, truly appalling. I've seen so many shocking websites too that I wonder how these hapless technicians ever get a client. There are many snobbish people out there - I'm one of them! - who, when they see a series of spelling errors think, well, if they can't even be bothered to have this proof read, what care are they going to take over my cuticles. I know it's crap, but it's true.
If we're ever going to shed the dumb blonde image of "beauty ferapist, innit" we are going to HAVE to sharpen up, raise our game, and be taken seriously. And honestly, text speak is totally at odds with that.

TBH I can't be bothered to read posts that are in text type.
I don't mind in a text but that costs money....on a forum you don't need to worry about that.
Or shud I sy in FRM U CNT BE BOV??
:lol:
Ermm OK well I can :)
Did I do OK? Am I actually 14??:lol:

Why is it that everytime we have a thread about txt speak, it degenerates into a grammar fest criticising everyone who happens to make the odd spelling error.

Not everyone who is in this industry is educated to English degree level and neither should they be.

I am appalled at some of the comments on this thread - how to make people feel yay high!

We have had threads recently trying to make new members feel welcome and here is another one to alienate them and others.

I dont like txt speak and I dont particularly like spelling errors or grammatical errors but hey there are worse things in life than these.

If someone posts in txt speak then maybe a gentle push in the non txt direction would be better.

As I am famous for closing threads, let me not disappoint - enough is enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back