It's still taking me 2.5 hours to do one set!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinkywinky

Reaction score
Although I qualified in April and on average do 2 - 4 sets a week, it is still taking me 2.5 hours to complete only one set of nails. This is cut down if I use white tips but I don't like working with these.

Can anyone please give me any advice on how to cut this time down? I charge £20 for a full set and it isn't working out as a great hourly rate once I've driven there etc.

I understand that you are supposed to get quicker with experience. My nails are much better than when I first started but my time isn't budging.

I don't use electric files as I don't know what to do with them, but I am thinking of getting one to cut down the time.

Any advice would be good.

Many thanks fellow geeklins!

I'm salon based so I encourage the staff and customers around me to interact so that I can concentrate on my job and not the chit chat. Try to stay focused and give yourself set times to complete each stage. I spend 30mins sanitising, prepping and applying base i.e tips or forms. 30mins on application and 30mins on finish filing buffing and polishing. Obviously it doesn't always go to plan but having time boundaries focuses my awareness of how long I am taking.

Ultimately it is experience and don't beat yourself up if your nails are improving like you say THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS! Don't fall in to the trap of sacrificing the quality of your work for time and money. Those that persevere, prosper!!!

Also you are really cheap - why do you charge so little???

Ive recently knocked down the price from £25 to £20 after a bad experience, I am still learning and although my nails are OK they still have flaws in them. I'm happy to get this and still learn. can't wait til the day I do perfect nails. Right at this moment I can't see when that will be, but as they say PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!

I'm right there with you on that one! Even when you do do the perfect set (if there is such a thing!) do you think you then do it every time??? Do the best techs ever have off days??? must do!!! I hope!!!

I take between 2 and 2.5 hours but am not to concerned about it, I would rather spend that wee bit longer to get a result I am pleased with and ensure the client is relaxed, enjoys the treatment, doesnt feel rushed and leaves delighted with the result. I am aware this is a luxury and I wouldnt get this in a Salon but I am happy working for myself and making sure I do the best nails possible. I am sure my times will come down the more sets I do.

I would concentrate on getting the nails right then once you are happier with your work think about working smarter to reduce your times as trying to do both at once would make my brain hurt!!

HTH
KxXx

Hi, I take about 2 hours to do a full set, but sometimes more, so dont beat yourself up about it. I only qualified about a year ago and am getting faster. I've had a couple of client that say "you realy take your time on my nails and do them so nicely" Its all about making the client feel special.
Do put up your prices though.:)

i feel the same about my timings hun, i qualified in june and find its taking me around 2 hrs (but i am a perfectionist!). i would rather spend more time and have great nails though, i mean whats 15-30 mins when you could be giving customer an extra week of enhancements? Because lets face it if you are rushing you are doing something wrong and nails will probably lift or worse. i just keep telling my self it can only get easier right? xx

I understand it takes a long time and I'm not in any rush to do anyone's nails - I need to ensure I do them properly and that is probably the reason for me taking so long. I must say I always try and do the best job possible.

Just wish I was quicker so the poor client could get on with stuff after I've gone!

I used to take 2.5 hours not that long ago. As soon as i started renting out, my time came down to two. Now i am about to start a new job in a salon they want me to come down a little more. But i think it will happen naturally. If you get buisier you will probably notice a difference. I wouldnt worry too much about it, its better you feel relaxed when doing it or you just wont enjoy doing it.

Practice is the magic word for your timing. It isn't the most important. The prep and application etc is what is important then when you have that the timings come into their own.

It will happen many many years ago when I first started out my first set took over 4.5 hours looked like they had a bad disease also.LOL

Then my timings where better but I never worried too much, I wanted to do a good job for the client and most important they stay on! not much good doing them quick and them coming off?

Then my love for sculpts so my timings went up again. It is the practice and confidence you build for yourself that is the key.

Don't worry too much about it, It will come!

Take care

Sometimes it helps to go over one of the tutorials and try doing things differently to see if its a better and quicker way.
You can never read TOOooooooooooooo many tutorials.
Sherry

Hi all,
I have only done 2 sets of nails, 1 took 2.5 and the other 1 nearer 3 slightly fussy, never mind!:rolleyes: But both times very please and have booked for infills. I also only charge £20 reflecting on being new, they dont seem to mind the timing if your onist and tell them you have just started, thats what i say!!
I brought one of though nail trainers, very handy, i quite often time myself. I am also hoping i get faster,

Lisa

unless your salon based i really wudn worry about it, i know my clients love sitting and relaxing for a couple of hours, i usually take up to 2 hrs also and iv been qualified about a year! im more concerned with getting a good job done and having a chat with my clients, most of which are either yappy 18/19 year olds who love to tell you everything goin on in their lives, or stay at home mothers who enjoy some adult company. so chill out enjoy wat your doin and dont be so concerned with time..

you are however a wee bit underpriced i think..and whilst it's good to get paid practice you have to also look after number one in my opinion. at the start i used to hate taking money off people and even if i saw the slightest flaw i wudn charge, thankfully iv improved alot now and have iv copped on..lol products are cheap!!

You're right I am too cheap (not me personally!!) putting my prices back up to £25. Got a lady today & I am going to charge this amount. I am not going to make a bean otherwise.

Thanks for your help
BYE!!

Hi,

I still take 2 hours to do a full set, but like the other's on here will tell you concentrate on doing your best work first & then the timings will come down after.

Good luck & keep up the good work.

Hi Hun
if you can, try to get a nail trainer and practise practise practise. I used to practise just getting my prep down to 20min then when I got that down, i practised the next step and so on. I do completely agree with the others that taking your time and doing the job right is the most important thing, but in your spare time theres nothing like practise.
Explain to any clients that you are new and need to take your time and most will be happy, but if anyone wants cheap treatments explain that your costs are the sameas any other techs.
You will naturally speed up so dont beat yourself up.

HI, i posted similar on this site and got some rgeat help form everyone. However I still take too long and it upsets me terribly and really knocks confidence but its is just practise practise practise I am afraid.

Sam also has a tutorial on speeding up so have a look through.

i find one ood tip is to break it down in sections - have a search and people have done a guide on how long to allocated to each.

Also I do find the moment i look up at the client my hands stop. So just say to them that you apologise you not making eye contact but you are listening and will chat of course but you want to concentrate fully.

I know my prob is tip blending as this is taking me too long so this is an area I wil particularly concentrate on. Time yourself on each area and see whats taking you longer than it should and get your nail trainer out or do some deals for friends if you dont want full paying clients.

Ensure your table is fully prepped as well so you are not wasting time looking for anything. Have your record card ready and filled in with as much as you know before they arrive too (eg name, tel no).

Put your prices up a bit - have confidence in yourself. They are going away with a nice full set of nails so they are happy with what you have done - thats the main thing.

xxx

i fresh out of school but practiced on every beauty student i could find. I still practice on my neighbors.....they dont mind...they are getting a set for free...but it usually takes me about and hour and 15 minutes for a full set of sculps. Takes me longer for tips tho!!! I dont get that one.

it takes me 2.5 hrs to do a full set too - i only have a few customers tho and they know im newly qualified, they don't mind the length of time - as they say they'd sit for hours as long as i made a good job as they find it relaxing!!!

also id rather take a bit longer and make a good job then rush it and make a bad one, i only qualified last month so im hoping to get my time down but that will do doubt a lot of take practise etc

im sure your clients dont mind how long it takes as long as they are happy with their nails at the end of the service.

I have 2 points I would like to make....I have a tech who takes 1 hour approx to do a set of sculpts (she has been working for me for 3ish years), however, if she is doing this same service on a client she knows and gets on very well with, it takes her at LEAST another 15/20 minutes...do you stop working when you're talking, or, like my tech, do you twirl your brush in your monomer 10 to 20 times(or something similar) whilst you say your piece??????????????

The other point is, when you feel ready, it would be fabulous to learn sculpting, when you become experienced it really cuts your times down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have no need to worry yet, every set you do will bring your confidence and speed up, keep at it, good luck!

Latest posts

Back