Keeping colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty Tips

Reaction score
Hiya,

So I've gone from blonde ombre to dark brown in the last few months but my colour is fading so bad and so quickly. I expected this though so that's not the issue.
I just wondered if there was anything I could use between colours to keep the colour? At the moment it needs re-doing every 4 weeks and is a nightmare when it fades!
I currently use John Frieda brunette range but not sure if that is actually any good.

Any thoughts? :)
I've attached a picture of my hair currently - it's due a colour on Friday.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    889.4 KB · Views: 84
Anyone any ideas?

Use the products your stylist recommends.

Usually the same shampoo and conditioner brand as their colour line. This should help longevity.

Otc products are poop.

You could ask your stylist if their brand has a colour conditioner or regular temporary/semi colour they could retail you.

I've heard good thinks about the revlon balls. But never used one myself.

She didn't really have an idea on what to recommend :oops:
I've just bought Matrix Biolage Colourlast shampoo and conditioner - not used before but read quite a few reviews online and it sounded ok.
Hopefully this will help!
Thanks

She didn't really have an idea on what to recommend :oops:
I've just bought Matrix Biolage Colourlast shampoo and conditioner - not used before but read quite a few reviews online and it sounded ok.
Hopefully this will help!
Thanks
She didn't know what to recommend?! What?!

What does she sell?

She doesn't - she only works from home part time now for a few of her old clients so she doesn't retail anything.
I'll try the stuff I bought and see what happens :)

She doesn't - she only works from home part time now for a few of her old clients so she doesn't retail anything.
I'll try the stuff I bought and see what happens :)

If your hair was bleached very light when you had your ombré, it could be that your hair is quite porous now and that's why it's not holding the colour.

When you get your roots done, does she apply the tint all over during the last 10 mins?

It has been bleached previously but when she was keeping up my ombre she didn't use bleach.

She applies the colour all over from the start, every time I go it's an all over colour. Maybe it just needs to grow out, it has been coloured quite a lot so I am used to these issues :oops::)

It has been bleached previously but when she was keeping up my ombre she didn't use bleach.

She applies the colour all over from the start, every time I go it's an all over colour. Maybe it just needs to grow out, it has been coloured quite a lot so I am used to these issues :oops::)

The hair is still bleached though, once its been bleached its always 'bleached hair' and will always be porous until its cut out.

The hair is still bleached though, once its been bleached its always 'bleached hair' and will always be porous until its cut out.
Hi @Beauty Tips ! I agree to an extent, it will always be bleached hair and have those characteristics, but it doesn't necessarily mean you HAVE to cut it, the porosity can be fixed if your hair isn't totally destroyed currently, look into getting an Olaplex treatment (stand alone) in a salon then when you need to touch up your colour the time after that get Olaplex mixed in with your colour(s) and bleach(es), Olaplex repairs the hair from the inside out so it'll help your hair to maintain the colour, I've heard amazing results of colour lasting longer and holding so much better with/after/during/etc an Olaplex treatment, if your colourist doesn't have Olaplex see if there are any local salons that do have it, and then just get the stand alone treatment done, i recommend both stand alone and with your colour because you'll repair it that bit more on its own, so when you go to get the colour then it'll stick even better both with it mixed into your colour still repairing the hair, and because to begin with your hair will be much more healthy and less porous to begin with. xx Hope this helps you hun xx

Also, I'd get a little trim too regardless, just so you do cut off the worst parts of your hair porosity wise which i'm guessing are definitely your ends from the ombré xx

Hi @Beauty Tips ! I agree to an extent, it will always be bleached hair and have those characteristics, but it doesn't necessarily mean you HAVE to cut it, the porosity can be fixed if your hair isn't totally destroyed currently, look into getting an Olaplex treatment (stand alone) in a salon then when you need to touch up your colour the time after that get Olaplex mixed in with your colour(s) and bleach(es), Olaplex repairs the hair from the inside out so it'll help your hair to maintain the colour, I've heard amazing results of colour lasting longer and holding so much better with/after/during/etc an Olaplex treatment, if your colourist doesn't have Olaplex see if there are any local salons that do have it, and then just get the stand alone treatment done, i recommend both stand alone and with your colour because you'll repair it that bit more on its own, so when you go to get the colour then it'll stick even better both with it mixed into your colour still repairing the hair, and because to begin with your hair will be much more healthy and less porous to begin with. xx Hope this helps you hun xx

Also, I'd get a little trim too regardless, just so you do cut off the worst parts of your hair porosity wise which i'm guessing are definitely your ends from the ombré xx
oh i forgot to add on to the end of that, if your colourist doesnt have olaplex, get the olaplex done somewhere that does, and the colour too (if you find your current colourist is not up to the standard, if you've been with him/her a long time and love the result you get then ofcourse stay with her, but defo look into olaplex!! It's a game changer x <3

Oh dear! That's really poor practice, in my opinion.

By re-applying an oxidative colour on the already coloured parts of the hair, it's opening the cuticle unnecessarily and that's what's causing your porosity issues. She should only be using the tint on your roots and applying a different formula on the rest, preferably a semi as this clings to the hair unlike permanent colour.

Olaplex will repair broken disulphide bonds within the hair but has no restorative effect on damaged cuticle scales. Once they're damaged, there's no magic solution I'm afraid, other than to cut off the damaged sections.

A good colourist would use different products for the roots and the rest of the hair and therefore, wouldn't cause unnecessary damage. I sometimes think that hairdressers that slap tint all over every time are just trying to save themselves a bit of money but it's so short sighted if it loses them clients.

Best advice? Use a tinted conditioner for brunettes after shampooing and use quality pro brand shampoos for coloured hair as these contain less harsh detergents than high street brands.

Oh dear! That's really poor practice, in my opinion.

By re-applying an oxidative colour on the already coloured parts of the hair, it's opening the cuticle unnecessarily and that's what's causing your porosity issues. She should only be using the tint on your roots and applying a different formula on the rest, preferably a semi as this clings to the hair unlike permanent colour.

Olaplex will repair broken disulphide bonds within the hair but has no restorative effect on damaged cuticle scales. Once they're damaged, there's no magic solution I'm afraid, other than to cut off the damaged sections.

A good colourist would use different products for the roots and the rest of the hair and therefore, wouldn't cause unnecessary damage. I sometimes think that hairdressers that slap tint all over every time are just trying to save themselves a bit of money but it's so short sighted if it loses them clients.

Best advice? Use a tinted conditioner for brunettes after shampooing and use quality pro brand shampoos for coloured hair as these contain less harsh detergents than high street brands.
Olaplex will make the colour take and retain to the hair better, it says on the website

If it's linking the bonds back together it is rebuilding the hairs structure, and when you rebuild the hair from the inside out, eventually it does help with issues such as moisture *it wont make the hair soft as it's goal, but healthy hair is softer so it does help in a way* and it'll help maintain moisture and all that, so with frequent treatments with olaplex it will begin to help porosity as well as texture and strength

'Olaplex can be mixed into colors and lighteners to mitigate the damage done during the color service. Olaplex No.2 is used after the service to repair the broken bonds in the hair without the chemicals working against it. Using Olaplex in color services also helps lower porosity leading to greater color longevity and shine! We love when we hear people say their hair feels better than before, after highlights with Olaplex.'

Thankyou @AcidPerm and @Daniel Williams
Sorry, I've been away so haven't checked this :)

I've booked in for a stand alone Olapex treatment so fingers crossed this helps :D
I've been using the Matrix Biolage Colourlast shampoo and conditioner which I think has actually helped, I've been in the sun for a week and it hasn't faded half as much as it normally does.
Hopefully the Olapex just gives it that something extra to actually repair it!

Thanks for your help!!!

Thankyou @AcidPerm and @Daniel Williams
Sorry, I've been away so haven't checked this :)

I've booked in for a stand alone Olapex treatment so fingers crossed this helps :D
I've been using the Matrix Biolage Colourlast shampoo and conditioner which I think has actually helped, I've been in the sun for a week and it hasn't faded half as much as it normally does.
Hopefully the Olapex just gives it that something extra to actually repair it!

Thanks for your help!!!
No problem xxx

Latest posts

Back