Keeping on top of your game

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classychick

Reaction score
Hi there

For all you part time mobile geeks can I ask how you stay on top of your game. I mean like i trained at college maybe 7 years ago and from then i have took a couple of private courses, one being nails i have spent a fortune on learning this service but i can honestly say i have never produced fabulous nails......my fault being i dont practice enough - hands up i know its my fault on this.

With waxing/massage etc do you all take a course every year to better yourselves even though you arent making loads of money throughout the year being mobile, i have regular customers not enough to give up my day job tho.

I guess what i am trying to ask is if you are not busy with mobile do you use your spare time to keep practising your skills and make yourself better and if so how many nights a week do you do this.....nails in particular i am taking a one to one next week and i dont want to let what i am going to learn slip away.

P.s please dont say maybe its not for me i love doing treatments i just dont have the balls to give up my job and go at it full time. Even if it is just something I do cause I like doing it I want to be good.

Hi classychick,

I think you ask a good question, it's difficult I find my enthusiasm is very up and down at the moment it's on a high as I have lots of xmas things planned. So this means im busy and when im busy I feel productive which makes my job good fun. As for brushing up on my skills I have lots of different DVD on massage, facials and nails, lots of books and I practise a lot on friends. I also read a lot on here as I also find it inspires me.

I hope that helps, I also find it makes you feel better when you know other therapist go through the same thing :confused:

Hi,
try and form a good professional relationship with the company whose products you're using, give them a call to make sure your on their mailing list, and make a note of a persons name in customer care, that way you can ask for them whenever you call for info. That way you'll be more likely to be kept informed of new products and any short refresher/new tecnique courses that may be available. HTH

I drag friends in to practise on them, then as their payment they are sent off to ooze relaxation out of every pore and promote promote promote!

I also go on a couple of CPD courses a year or get my skin/bodycare range trainer in to update me.

this in turn keeps me focused, keeps work fun and also my clients love me going off on one.....at the moment they mention the word bamboo and I can talk for hours......!

I'm always on one course or another to keep myself at the cutting edge of the industry. I feel bereft if I'm not learning something! I think it's important to be educated regularly.

it is good to be in the salon enviorement to learn, although most of my friends are eithere hair/beauty so can always have a chat and find out about new stuff along the way, i work fully mobile now but have always done at least one course in something per year xx

Hi girls, thanks for all your thoughts its always nice to hear what others do, I have invested in so many dvds lol it would just be good to do more of the treatments on a daily basis then i would always be learning if you know what i mean and that way i would have an answer for people when i am looking to pay more money for more courses instead of them saying why you wanting to pay that out when your not making it back. I do agree though searching through this forum does motivate you.

Hippy Chick i wish i was your friend so you could try your treatments on me that would be fab :).

Any other advice i would welcome, and girls i really appreciate the advice already given.:hug:

Reading this back i think i only have myself to blame so i am going to kick my backside into gear! xx

I'm always on one course or another to keep myself at the cutting edge of the industry. I feel bereft if I'm not learning something! I think it's important to be educated regularly.

Lynne Are you are busy with clients if not and this question is for other geeks to, when you take your courses every year are they being put to good use by paying clients, mines arent lol....is there a chance people can be marketing in the wrong area? xx
Posted via Mobile Device

One of my friends suggested I hold a monthly mobile hairdresser update session in my VIP salon. To exchange ideas, update their skills and address their skills concerns. If anyone thinks this is a good idea, please let me know x

One of my friends suggested I hold a monthly mobile hairdresser update session in my VIP salon. To exchange ideas, update their skills and address their skills concerns. If anyone thinks this is a good idea, please let me know x

fantastic idea i would love to have this as an option to me x

Lynne Are you are busy with clients if not and this question is for other geeks to, when you take your courses every year are they being put to good use by paying clients, mines arent lol....is there a chance people can be marketing in the wrong area? xx
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm quite careful about the courses that I do, only doing them after several enquiries about a particular treatment, or if I have a specific interest in the subject. I can truthfully say that not a single one of the courses I have undertaken has not paid for itself within a couple of months.
I market my salon heavily via the business network groups around me, and again, not a one of those has been a waste of time; I've had a lot of business from all of them.
You need to look at a lot of factors when it comes to choosing your treatment menu. Look at the demographic of your area. Are you in an affluent area? What is the average age? What's the employment situation like? Do you want a few high net worth clients, or a lot of lower paying ones? (I want the former; I'm lazy!) Look at what salons around you offer. Do some spying and find out what their most/least popular/signature treatments are.
If you've taken courses and they're not being put to good use add that treatment as a freebie/offer for a limited time so that your other clients get to try something new. I did this with lash perming/indian head massage, and now I have regulars for these.
You can never stop marketing yourself! Coca Cola costs pence to make; 99.9% of their cost is marketing!

You sound like a very determined, smart, motivated and driven business women Lynne you should be very proud of your business.

There are loads of salons around me only a couple of which are successful though. I know networking is a great way to promote but i can honestly say I do not have the confidence to do that i wouldnt even know where to start i would be a bumbling wreck :)

Thank you for your excellant advice xx:hug:

If you want to see bumbling wreck you should have seen me on Thursday after the kerfuffle with my now ex cleaning lady. As far as networking goes I just get excited about what I do and share that enthusiasm with people. Smile lots, don't worry if you get flustered, make a note of what you want to say at each meeting (make it a different, but cohesive message each time, to keep people interested), and be genuine.
I have to be determined and motivated otherwise the mortgage company gets sniffy!
Proud? Not yet - I work as hard as I know how hoping that it will pay off!
Thank you for the kind words though; they mean a lot.

Latest posts

Back