Keeping up the Determination....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercury

Reaction score
I did my first full rebalance yesterday on a friend who has been getting her nails done at the salon I used to go to. It went Okayyyyy.....we were both happy with the final product. Except.... it took me 3hrs45 and I felt really bummed through most of it (sweating and filing madly). And as she's a fairly serious uni student she doubts she would be able to afford that much time in future...Usually it takes her normal tech 45mins! ...Anyway, we'll see about that - once it comes to paying full price for her refills, she may reconsider. And my left thumb is aching from holding the client's finger for so long! I was thinking to myself, maybe I'll just keep this nail thing for my own hobby, just to do on my own nails.... :( I was utterly demoralized, obviously.

but then.... I have a shower and a rest and I think to myself...if I can just learn how to place larger beads more confidently, I could take an hour off that time... and it would be sooooo good to get a handle on this stuff...and I have only been doing it for such a short time. My problem is that I want to be good at something immediately! And I have really struggled with that part of my brain that just wants to Give Up sometimes....but something in me just keeps pushing through to say, "Keep at it and you'll get there, and it will become Fun!"

I hope that persistent part of me keeps rising up through the disappointment to take me to the time when I will be able to confidently do beautiful nails in 2hrs! That's all I ask...2hrs!

You guys are an inspiration and such a wonderful source of information ~ thank you for nudging me on :)

Katy
aka Mercury

hi, you can do it so keep it up, all you need is confidence, it takes me ages to do a set but i know i will get there in the end, so will you

It's early days - and it's not how long it takes but the quality of the finished nails! YOu will get quicker eventually - as Kalchis says "all you need is confidence".

Yeh these guys are right. What ever you do don't give up!
When I first started there were plenty of times that I wanted to just throw the towel in, but I'm so glad I didn't. Being a good nail tech takes dedication and a lot of hard work and plenty of that magic word.......practice.

Keep it going!!

I spent ages feeling totally demoralised when it was taking me 3 1/2 or sometimes 4 hours to do a rebalance and I was'nt always happy with the results even though my clients were. Since starting my assessments at college, we have had no choice but to speed up and I was dreading it!! Anyway, I did my first client a full set, tips and gel overlay and I finished them in 3 hours, I was so pleased I just could'nt believe it. I then set myself a target of 2 1/2 hours at home aswell and managed to do it without any compromise on the quality of the nails. I have managed to stick to this and soon I am going to reduce my time again.

I cant believe how many times I have said "right thats it I give up, I'm selling all my stuff and never touching anybodies nails again!" then as soon as the phone goes and its a client I cant wait to do their nails!! :lol:

We will all get there eventualy, its just going to take a bit of time and a lot of practice. x

Hi there,

One of the methods I use at times when the girls or myself feel a bit flat.
Is to work to your favorite music.

Not at concert decibles.

Background music gets me through . Helped to not over CONCENTRATE.
Mega Mix - Dance Music works for me & most of the clients

Set the mood for both of you.

Of course it's All About the Client......... But Its about you tooooooo.
When your friends are clients or models for you...I dont think they'd mind if you
Got into the Zone.

Give it a try......Good Luck.....
Love N Hugs xx J xx

Thanks guys :Love: Heaps appreciated!!!

I will defo try with the music, too, music is very affective...

:) Katy

My first set took me 4 hours, and it was on my mother-in-law who was 78 at the time and she fell asleep for an hour of it, just propped up at the table sleeping whilst I filed away. Poor sod.

But now I am down to 1hour 45 and I am happy with that.

Keep at it girl, it will come eventually

valburt said:
My first set took me 4 hours, and it was on my mother-in-law who was 78 at the time and she fell asleep for an hour of it, just propped up at the table sleeping whilst I filed away. Poor sod.

But now I am down to 1hour 45 and I am happy with that.

Keep at it girl, it will come eventually

aw bless... i guess it meant you didnt chat to each other much if she was dozing..lol

getting your time down does take a while i too used to take hours and hours but hey if your happy with what you are producing then be proud of yourself it doesnt matter if it takes you 3 hrs or 45 min if you and your client are happy then its v coolio ;)

Jess
xox

My first set of sculptured nails took me 3 hours and i was gutted. They looked lovely and the client really liked them. In fact her husband paid me as he said it kept her quiet for 3 hours and it was worth it. The next set took me 1 hour 30 mins. I think the husband saying that me made me feel better and i just stepped up the pace for the next ones. I think every set you do builds your confidence which builds your speed. I haven't had very much practice but have been blessed with a natural ability, just need to get my time down. Don't give up as tomorrow is another day lol.

You eventually pick up routine times for everything you do. On average for infills is 30 mins prep (filing etc as well), and then the other 30 mins to apply, buff and finish, and out the door. Prep can be as little as 15 mins if there is no lifting, breaks, etc, and application can take an extra 20 mins or so if it's a rebalance. (so anything from about 45 mins to 90 mins!)

It's very easy to say don't worry about the timing, but we all do it so it's perfectly normal. The more you do then the quicker you will become. More practice and more training is the key.

If you want to try and see where your timing is an issue then break down each part of your rebalances into section. ie prep, tip sizing and application, blending, product application, final buff (or mega filing down those mountains in the early days lol) etc etc. See how long each section takes you and you'll see where you are gaining pace, and where you need to improve further. To give you an idea of how long each part should take I've copied this from a recent post of mine ...

For a 2 hour set ...

Consultation 10 mins
Nail prep 10 mins
Tip selection and application 25 mins
Tip blending 20
Bonder application 5
builder gel application 30
Shaping of gel (buffing) 20
Sealant (finishing gloss) and finishing off 10

HTH
.... and don't worry!!!!!!!

Thanks again, guys (I just got back from a long weekend away, thus no replies till now!).... I will get there, I know it... One day at a time, one set at a time :D

Katy

Keep at it - practice practice practice. From reading a lot of different threads on here, everyone was slow to start, but just keep at it and your timing will come down eventually. Don't give up whatever you do :)

:)

DITTO
x0x0x0x

XX J XX

Isn't everyone slow when they learn a new task? How much slower when it is a new skill?

Routine plays a huge part in your timing. As soon as you get a routine for doing every task that never varies, your times will drop.

Some Natural ability helps, but skills can be learned if you do not have this trait. This does take more time to master.

Use products that are easy to work with. There are many products that are actualy difficult to work with so when you get more skilled at your craft, make sure you are using a line that compliments your skills.

What makes a good nail technician.

Is it easy? For some yes and for some definitely not. If you are already an artistic person then the mechanics could prove easier for you BUT... there's always a but ....

There is more to being a great nail technician than just being able to turn out good nails (although this is very important). Here are a few thing to think about.

• Doing nails is not for the timid personality or the faint hearted ... you need to be able to be strong and firm with people.
  • Doing nails needs a person with an empathetic nature, one who cares for and about people.
  • Doing nails is a business, and a good business head is essential if you want to be financially successful.
  • Doing nails requires self-sacrifice and a vocational attitude, as you need to be there when and if your clients want you. Staying in late and going in early etc.
  • Doing nails is not a fun little hobby ... it is a profession and should not be done by amateurs but only by professionals in the true sense of the word (look it up in the dictionary ... interesting).
  • Doing nails requires a serious sense of responsibility. We work on people's bodies. They trust us to work safely and to nurture and care for their natural nails while they are wearing nail enhancements.

• Doing nails requires
  • integrity (as should everything) and good business ethics. Business ethics is something allot of new nail technicians know nothing about in the UK ... thinking they can use someone else's good will ... work in a salon and then leave trying to poach business from the very salon that hired them and helped them in the first place.

• Doing nails is one of the greatest most fun and rewarding and satisfying businesses in the world. Enjoy your learning but realize that the learning process never stops ... you will know when you are ready because you will feel confident to make that start.

geeg said:
Isn't everyone slow when they learn a new task? How much slower when it is a new skill?

Routine plays a huge part in your timing. As soon as you get a routine for doing every task that never varies, your times will drop.

Some Natural ability helps, but skills can be learned if you do not have this trait. This does take more time to master.

Use products that are easy to work with. There are many products that are actualy difficult to work with so when you get more skilled at your craft, make sure you are using a line that compliments your skills.

What makes a good nail technician.

Is it easy? For some yes and for some definitely not. If you are already an artistic person then the mechanics could prove easier for you BUT... there's always a but ....

There is more to being a great nail technician than just being able to turn out good nails (although this is very important). Here are a few thing to think about.

• Doing nails is not for the timid personality or the faint hearted ... you need to be able to be strong and firm with people.
  • Doing nails needs a person with an empathetic nature, one who cares for and about people.
  • Doing nails is a business, and a good business head is essential if you want to be financially successful.
  • Doing nails requires self-sacrifice and a vocational attitude, as you need to be there when and if your clients want you. Staying in late and going in early etc.
  • Doing nails is not a fun little hobby ... it is a profession and should not be done by amateurs but only by professionals in the true sense of the word (look it up in the dictionary ... interesting).
  • Doing nails requires a serious sense of responsibility. We work on people's bodies. They trust us to work safely and to nurture and care for their natural nails while they are wearing nail enhancements.

• Doing nails requires
  • integrity (as should everything) and good business ethics. Business ethics is something allot of new nail technicians know nothing about in the UK ... thinking they can use someone else's good will ... work in a salon and then leave trying to poach business from the very salon that hired them and helped them in the first place.

• Doing nails is one of the greatest most fun and rewarding and satisfying businesses in the world. Enjoy your learning but realize that the learning process never stops ... you will know when you are ready because you will feel confident to make that start.

Here Here :Love:

I did a set of white tips last week and it took me nearly 3 hours. At the end of it my back was breaking and my hands sore. Hopefully I will only get quicker but I need loads more practice. As I work full time I find it really hard to get clients in the evenings. I have sent out hundreds of flyers and hopefully people will start to ring me.

Latest posts

Back