Lash extension nightmare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautybyefx

Reaction score
I've been doing lash extensions since July 2017, I trained at college using a marvelash starter kit. At first I was really pleased with the lashes I had done. I did my friends and family for £20 and they all looked really good. Although they have lasted for 2 to 3 weeks, I noticed that they managed to clump together after a week or so. Obviously my friends and family don't complain as they have still lasted well and I just thought this was normal for lashes that have been on for a week+.
Since then I've started a job at a salon doing lashes for £40. The clients that have come to me have mostly been happy with the look of the lashes but apart from 1 or 2 clients that have returned for infills, the majority haven't. I know that some clients get lashes for holidays and events and don't bother for infills but it's really disheartening when you don't have clients returning.
The salon I work at has had a few emails from clients about the way the lashes have clumped together and my salon have had to refund those that have gone elsewhere to get them removed. I feel as though I want to stop lashes completely as I just dread seeing them on my diary every week. I've told the salon in tears that I'm not happy and don't want to do them anymore but they have told me to keep it up and only a few people have complained. I just feel like I'm letting them down if they have to refund clients for treatments from me. What do you suggest I do?

Dont be disheartened !
Starting with lashes is hard......it really is!
Starting in the summer doesnt make it easier,...
and this summer is more difficult (for once we are getting awesome temperatures and sun!)

So, it might be your technique or your room conditions or it could be clients aftercare....
There is heaps you can do so dont give up!
Feel free to post more details or if you prefer you can send us a message and we can have a look at everything to help you offer a reliable treatment x

I'm not sure whether it is my technique or not. I really struggle to isolate the lashes. I am yet to find tweezers that are pointy enough and have the right tension if you know what I mean??! I try my best to stick lashes 1 to 1 and have been getting a lot better but I struggle with each client as they're all different. I have done clients before who have come back for infills after 2 weeks but they've never returned after an infill and its really annoying if I can't have any client feedback to know if they have or haven't lasted!

You might not necessarily have to change the tweezers, sometimes just the way you hold them can make a difference. Try holding them up higher or lower towards the tip and also try and change the angle at which you hold them. Some therapists hold the tweezers between thumb and index finger but if you try it between thumb and middle finger you can get a better grip. It does take a bit of getting used to but it might help.
Another thing to consider might be a couple of hours tutoring as that might help to see where you are struggling or how you could change things to make it easier x

I don't know much about lashes, but when I watched the work of the lash-makers at my previous job, I saw that this is really a difficult job. Both clients and experience - come with time. You have the salon support - and it's wonderful! Maybe you should send a questionary form to all your clients (can be anonymous), asking them to evaluate the work (in a couple of weeks). So you will know are they satisfied or not.

And cheer up! It's great that you do care about it and try to understand what's wrong, that means you will definitely succeed! x

You might not necessarily have to change the tweezers, sometimes just the way you hold them can make a difference. Try holding them up higher or lower towards the tip and also try and change the angle at which you hold them. Some therapists hold the tweezers between thumb and index finger but if you try it between thumb and middle finger you can get a better grip. It does take a bit of getting used to but it might help.
Another thing to consider might be a couple of hours tutoring as that might help to see where you are struggling or how you could change things to make it easier x

Thanks for the advice I will give it a try holding the tweezers a different way. I've been holding them with my thumb and pointer finger. Also I have been trying to isolate the lashes with the left hand and applying the extensions with the right. Is that the correct way or is there any other alternative? X

I don't know much about lashes, but when I watched the work of the lash-makers at my previous job, I saw that this is really a difficult job. Both clients and experience - come with time. You have the salon support - and it's wonderful! Maybe you should send a questionary form to all your clients (can be anonymous), asking them to evaluate the work (in a couple of weeks). So you will know are they satisfied or not.

And cheer up! It's great that you do care about it and try to understand what's wrong, that means you will definitely succeed! x

I agree it's such a tricky job to do that's why I've been so put off doing them. I have good and bad days. I had an awful experience last week with a ladies lashes being too heavy for her natural lashes and they were drooping down. She hasn't returned since then and as far as I know she hasn't emailed or contacted the salon. However this week I've had 3 appointments and they've all went really well and the ladies and myself are very happy with the final look! So days like those really help me but it's like every good day I have had, there's always a bad day to come with it and it always overwhelms the good day!!
That's a good idea to do the questionnaire type thing but the only thing is if I suggest it to my boss she will see it as me doubting my work and will be worried that that impression might be given to the clients that have come to me previously. Thanks for your kind words x

Thanks for the advice I will give it a try holding the tweezers a different way. I've been holding them with my thumb and pointer finger. Also I have been trying to isolate the lashes with the left hand and applying the extensions with the right. Is that the correct way or is there any other alternative? X

It is very much personal preference, I would isolate with my left hand and angled tweezer and apply with the right but others prefer it the other way around or using straight tweezers. There is no right or wrong, you just have to find a way that feels comfortable for you x

It is very much personal preference, I would isolate with my left hand and angled tweezer and apply with the right but others prefer it the other way around or using straight tweezers. There is no right or wrong, you just have to find a way that feels comfortable for you x
Yeah that's how I was taught. I just think it's tricky to get it perfect x

Latest posts

Back