Licence to play Radio.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caz3

Reaction score
Hello All,

Well went to my hairdressers last week and I thought something was different! Then noticed she had no radio on in her shop.

She told me she had a phone call telling her if she plays a radio in her shop she needs to pay for a licence.

So this also applies to me when I am ready and start working from home I will need to pay for a licence to be able to have the radio or place music in the background.

Caz xxx:sad:

yes i did this at college !!

you have to pay a licence fee to play music in public I did have the link somewhere.

Sure if its from home you may get away with it though???;)

Amb x

blimey, they rip you off left right and centre don't they. i'm glad i work from home now. one of the advantages to doing this is i can listen to the radio (i can't in my boring office job)

You technicially need a licence to broadcast the radio and the play cd's

I work from home and play my radio in the hallway loud enough to hear in my salon, so technicially it's not in my salon

My sister had to buy a licence for her Restaurant, I think it was about £200 for the year!

just dug out my college stuff

details are on.....

www.ppluk.com

MINKUS said:
just dug out my college stuff

details are on.....

www.ppluk.com

Minkus - did your college course especially mention the Radio? Reading through the 'more info' on the PPLUK page it mentions 'tapes, cd and records' - no specific mention of the radio.

It also says that a PPLUK licence is needed as well as a PRS licence :eek:

Trinity Nails said:
Minkus - did your college course especially mention the Radio? Reading through the 'more info' on the PPLUK page it mentions 'tapes, cd and records' - no specific mention of the radio.

cant remember !!!! it was somewhere in my 15 page health and safety assignment!!!!!

I just remember it refering to ANY salon that plays music....perhaps a geek with a salon can clarify !

amb x

I pay £60 plus per year and its payable for all music, so radio, cd's tapes. I would check if you are working from home, as you are still a business I think you may still have to pay and I think there is a large fine if you don't and are caught. I just pay the PRS and havn't heard of the other one mentioned though.

Just had a quick look at PPL website I don't think it applies to us.

dids said:
I pay £60 plus per year and its payable for all music, so radio, cd's tapes. I would check if you are working from home, as you are still a business I think you may still have to pay and I think there is a large fine if you don't and are caught. I just pay the PRS and havn't heard of the other one mentioned though.

Yes this is right this is what my hairdresser said hers is £60.00 plus a year and she said this will most likely be me as well if I work from home as I would be playing this music to the public,clients, and it will be a business.

I thought I would post this thread as I am sure many Geeks do not know this.

Caz xxx:biggrin:

Trinity Nails said:

Oh yes Radio as well this is what I have just posted.

Caz xxx:biggrin:[/quote]
Your'e right, I didnt know for the first year or so, and it was my hairdresser who put me in the picture aswell. When you start up a new business there seems to be no guidence as to what is needed and not. Including the health and safety issues. I mean do I really need to display the ugly H&S poster on my premises, do I need a coshh box etc. etc. The questions are endless, but where 'o' where are the answers. Sorry i'm in a bit of a daft mood, got a couple a days holiday and i've gone a bit mad, probably all the sugar in the mince pies I keep eating!!!!

just took this off the ppl website

The public performance of sound recordings in the UK is an act restricted by copyright and requires a licence from PPL. This document sets out PPL’s licensing tariff for the public performance of sound recordings in hairdressing and beauty salons. Copies of tariffs applicable to other business types can be read on the PPL website or obtained by contacting PPL.

This tariff is subject to PPL’s “General Terms and Conditions for Public Performance Licences”, a copy of which can be read on the PPL website or obtained by contacting PPL (see the contact details set out at the end of this document).

This tariff applies to the public performance of sound recordings in your hairdressing or beauty salon as “background music”. There are a number of specific types of public performance that PPL does not class as “background music” and which are licensed under separate, dedicated tariffs (such as specially featured entertainment, jukeboxes, and telephone “on hold” music). However, aside from these few exceptions, all other types of public performance are classed as “background music”. If you are at all unsure whether you need a different PPL licence as well as, or instead of, a public performance licence for “background music”, please read the relevant section of the website, or contact us directly.

The licence fees payable under this tariff are set out in the table below:

MINKUS said:
just took this off the ppl website

The public performance of sound recordings in the UK is an act restricted by copyright and requires a licence from PPL. This document sets out PPL’s licensing tariff for the public performance of sound recordings in hairdressing and beauty salons. Copies of tariffs applicable to other business types can be read on the PPL website or obtained by contacting PPL.

This tariff is subject to PPL’s “General Terms and Conditions for Public Performance Licences”, a copy of which can be read on the PPL website or obtained by contacting PPL (see the contact details set out at the end of this document).

This tariff applies to the public performance of sound recordings in your hairdressing or beauty salon as “background music”. There are a number of specific types of public performance that PPL does not class as “background music” and which are licensed under separate, dedicated tariffs (such as specially featured entertainment, jukeboxes, and telephone “on hold” music). However, aside from these few exceptions, all other types of public performance are classed as “background music”. If you are at all unsure whether you need a different PPL licence as well as, or instead of, a public performance licence for “background music”, please read the relevant section of the website, or contact us directly.

The licence fees payable under this tariff are set out in the table below:
Sound like we might need this, (didn't see this bit earlier)
I might phone up the PRS and ask them. As i'm already liscensed with them they should be able to sort out this issue. maybe you need 1 or the othet but not both. I'll let you know if I find out.

caz3 said:
Yes this is right this is what my hairdresser said hers is £60.00 plus a year and she said this will most likely be me as well if I work from home as I would be playing this music to the public,clients, and it will be a business.

It's very unclear - there is a 'Nail Studio' option on their info page (PPLUK), but it takes to you Beauty Salons (£100+vat for 1-10 seats) or General (£88+vat for upto 400sqft) so not sure where the £60 comes in?

Trinity Nails said:
It's very unclear - there is a 'Nail Studio' option on their info page, but it takes to you Beauty Salons (£100+vat for 1-10 seats) or General (£88+vat for upto 400sqft) so not sure where the £60 comes in?

I wrote £60.00 plus did not mean £60.00 I had asked my hairdresser how much this would cost and she said it was over £60 a year or in words as such!!!!

caz3 said:
I wrote £60.00 plus did not mean £60.00 I had asked my hairdresser how much this would cost and she said it was over £60 a year or in words as such!!!!

I wasn't holding you to the £60 to the penny thing :lol: it was more a confusion thing as the other licence is £60 (plus 11p) so did she say which one she had?

I wasn't having a dig mate, just asking :hug:

Just phoned PRS. Have been informed that they and ppl are two seperate companys working on behalf of two groups of people. so the long and short of it is that you need a license from both companys to be playing radio and cd's. The woman I spoke to said that there may be exclusions so I should ring PPL for advice, but to be honest i think this is ridiculous. Before long we'll have to have a license to sneeze in public!!!!! I thought the government and everyone else were supposed to be helping small business not think of 100 other things they can be charged for. Sorry to sound so p**** off but it makes you wonder why you bother even trying to make a living. I know this is a dodgy subject but surely all these singers songwriters etc make enough millions every year without taking soooo much from the little people. Thats fbetter got it out of my system a bit now. 'Sorry to go on

Latest posts

Back