Licence to play Radio.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dids said:
Just phoned PRS. Have been informed that they and ppl are two seperate companys working on behalf of two groups of people. so the long and short of it is that you need a license from both companys to be playing radio and cd's. The woman I spoke to said that there may be exclusions so I should ring PPL for advice, but to be honest i think this is ridiculous. Before long we'll have to have a license to sneeze in public!!!!! I thought the government and everyone else were supposed to be helping small business not think of 100 other things they can be charged for. Sorry to sound so p**** off but it makes you wonder why you bother even trying to make a living. I know this is a dodgy subject but surely all these singers songwriters etc make enough millions every year without taking soooo much from the little people. Thats fbetter got it out of my system a bit now. 'Sorry to go on

:sad: awwwwwwww sorry matey kinda wishing i hadnt told you - hey but at least now you know !! ROBBING GITS:Scared:

amb x

dids said:
Just phoned PRS. Have been informed that they and ppl are two seperate companys working on behalf of two groups of people. so the long and short of it is that you need a license from both companys to be playing radio and cd's. The woman I spoke to said that there may be exclusions so I should ring PPL for advice, but to be honest i think this is ridiculous. Before long we'll have to have a license to sneeze in public!!!!! I thought the government and everyone else were supposed to be helping small business not think of 100 other things they can be charged for. Sorry to sound so p**** off but it makes you wonder why you bother even trying to make a living. I know this is a dodgy subject but surely all these singers songwriters etc make enough millions every year without taking soooo much from the little people. Thats fbetter got it out of my system a bit now. 'Sorry to go on

I'll turn the damn thing off :(

I'll sing to them instead, that'll kill my business dead for sure, even the neighbours will move out when I start singing :lol:

The cheapest PRS licence is £60 (ish) and the cheapest PPL is £88 (ish) that's another £150 (minimum) I need to make each year before I can turn a profit - pah!

Trinity Nails said:
I wasn't holding you to the £60 to the penny thing :lol: it was more a confusion thing as the other licence is £60 (plus 11p) so did she say which one she had?

I wasn't having a dig mate, just asking :hug:

No she did not say which one she had and if she had I really do not think I would have remembered as this is all new to me.

She has a small hairdressers and also she does a small amout of Beauty, no nails get done in her shop and she is a 'one man band to put it' it is her own shop not rented and works alone.

Sorry I can not help you which one she has:| .

This is the thing sometimes when we are all getting confussed we type fast and sometimes it reads diferant than we mean I did not think you were having a dig I thought I had got you all confused LOL!!!!!

:hug:
Caz xxx

Trinity Nails said:
I'll turn the damn thing off :(

I'll sing to them instead, that'll kill my business dead for sure, even the neighbours will move out when I start singing :lol:

The cheapest PRS licence is £60 (ish) and the cheapest PPL is £88 (ish) that's another £150 (minimum) I need to make each year before I can turn a profit - pah!

Oh I know what you mean !!!!

When I started out and though oh I will work from home, then I found out this was not as easy as said and now this !!!! More money I am going to have to have a great que of clients to be able to make any money when I start.

You can always ask your clients to bring a radio if they want music!!! I wonder how that stands?

Caz xxx

caz3 said:
Sorry I can not help you which one she has:| .

You'll have to break it to her that she need two now! :sad: :hug:

I'm with Dids - it's all just a rip off of small businesses over and over again

dids said:

Yes know what you mean I thought this thread that I started may do this to some geeks :Scared: .

It was all new to me until my hairdresser told me.

I wonedr how many people do not know this and are singing along now to there music?

It is not fair.

Caz xxx

Trinity Nails said:
You'll have to break it to her that she need two now! :sad: :hug:

I'm with Dids - it's all just a rip off of small businesses over and over again

Yes a right rip off!!!!

Caz xxx:rolleyes:

Right - just had a long conversation with a lovely lady at PPL about my home salon.

Lots of putting on hold to check, etc. and but got to this in the end.

• The original stuff on the website only refers to CD, tapes, and records
  • They now offer a licence for radio only
  • Radio licence is £58.75
  • Working from a home salon (which in my case is not classed as a business premises by my local council (this is a residential home and my salon is technicially my spare room and can still be used as a bedroom) - one of the questions she had to put me on hold about) and playing my radio in my lounge which means it can be heard in my spare room/salon DOES NOT require a licence
  • If my salon was classed as a business premises (such as a converted garage, etc) then I would need a licence

Hope that helps any home salon peeps - it won't help those struggling to open 'one-man-band' salon though :mad:

Trinity Nails said:
Right - just had a long conversation with a lovely lady at PPL about my home salon.

• Working from a home salon (which in my case is not classed as a business premises by my local council (this is a residential home and my salon is technicially my spare room and can still be used as a bedroom) - one of the questions she had to put me on hold about) and playing my radio in my lounge which means it can be heard in my spare room/salon DOES NOT require a licence
  • If my salon was classed as a business premises (such as a converted
  • garage, etc) then I would need a licence

Hope that helps any home salon peeps - it won't help those struggling to open 'one-man-band' salon though :mad:

Thanks for this so I should be ok then as I am going to be working in my cellar which is my ironing/wash room through the day, and a place for me to work in the evening.

I have a long way to go before I get this up and running but at least I know this now.

My hairdresser has only got the Radio Licence as this is all she plays. So I must have heard wrong and she pays just under £60.00 LOL!!!!

Caz xxx

Quick conversation with Simon at PRS and he tells me that if I'm in a residential property I'm exempt with them too.

No questions about the public coming in to my house, where the radio is etc. I did only ask about the radio - so anyone playing CD's etc. might want to check for themselves.

Again, great for us home salon Geeks, but not so good for the salons

I didn't know about this 'stealth' payment either.
geez, think about how much they must be raking in... hairdressers, beauty salons, garage repairs... the list goes on and on with all the businesses who have a radio on.
it's wrong.

ValencianNails said:
I didn't know about this 'stealth' payment either.
geez, think about how much they must be raking in... hairdressers, beauty salons, garage repairs... the list goes on and on with all the businesses who have a radio on.
it's wrong.

Wrong and unfair no wonder small businesses find it so hard to keep going.:sad:

Caz xxx

Trinity Nails said:

• If my salon was classed as a business premises (such as a converted garage, etc) then I would need a licence

I only play radio and uncopyright cd's (relaxing stuff for massage so hopefully i'll only need the radio only license from ppl. Suppose I better get it sorted. Thanks

Latest posts

Back