lifting and cracking troubleshooting.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elfprincessem

Reaction score
hey geeks, i am having one of those aaarrrggghhh night tonight, for a number of reasons, but the main one being i had a call earlier from one of my friends/ clients about her nails. I did her a full set of natural tips on sunday evening, and she explained to me that since sunday, gradually her nails have been lifting at the sides, and cracking (the area is a triangle shape on the edges where zone 1 and 2 normally meet- hope this makes sense?), she also lost a couple a few weeks ago after a full set but at the time i put it down to her being unusually heavy handed. I have done so many sets of nails on her, she is always my guinee pig for my experiments and she was my model when i went to the academy, and usually she has NOT ONE problem, she and i are always so pleased with them and she can go up to 4 weeks without a rebalance. I know she looks after them very well, using solar oil religously etc. I know this sounds like the normal bad prep problem, but i am such an obsessive prepper. I hope someone knows what this is?

just bumping this up, any ideas?

how strange, can you think of any thing you did differently this time. new brush, new wipes, new tips, think through your whole process to see if there was something a bit unusual.

done all that, nothing at all different, if anything i have been preppig EVEN MORE than usual x

Have you changed the tips you use? I know that this can mean you may use the same size tip in a different make but it comes up slightly different so could cause lifting if it's the wrong size?

Probably way off the mark. Only other thing i can think of is she is running her teeth along the sides where the free edge meets the side walls. I have done this in the past, sometimes without thinking. This causes cracking. Just a thought. Can't think of anything else.:|

no havent changed tips, and i have educated her well, she wouldnt dare nibble lol x

Perhaps it is something your friend/client is going that she hasn't before. It has happened before to one of mine when she got really stressed she would get her thumb nail under her others and flick the edges, over time it causes weakness and lifting etc.

Dont worry you will solve it! take care xx

well thats what i said to her but she insists she hasnt been doing anythibg different, sometimes you do it without realising though eh? x

maybe with the extra prepping some scrub fresh has gone onto the tips, that may explain the cracking?

would it matter if scrubfresh went onto the tips? When doing the nails i scrubfreshed one then tipped it, scrubfreshed the next then tipped it ..... but i am positive the scrubfresh has evaporated on the nail before i applied the tip.

May be this is really far fetched but in the past when I haven't been well and on a certain medication my nails would lift and there was nothing any one could do until i was off the medication,then they would stick on properly again??????

What grit abrasive are you using hun?

elfprincessem said:
would it matter if scrubfresh went onto the tips? When doing the nails i scrubfreshed one then tipped it, scrubfreshed the next then tipped it ..... but i am positive the scrubfresh has evaporated on the nail before i applied the tip.
yes it would definitley crack the tip,there was a thread about it i think. after applying the tips i reapply scrubfresh before the l&p as the time window has passed, cos im pretty slow. i'm always very careful for it not to touch the tips as i had problems in the zones you describe with cracking as the teeniest amount was coming into contact with the tip.

just reading back over your post about scrubfreshing and applying one at a time, try doing all your prep to all ten nails, then applying the tips starting at the first one you prepped, maybe it hasnt all evaporated? it could still be slightly wet in the sidewalls?

using all grit abrasives, 100/180, 240, 1200, 2400, 4000, then finally 12,000 with the girlfriend x

yes melody jayne, i thought i was being extra cautious but maybe this could be something to do with it, although by looking at it i would have said it had evaporated. Thanks

Latest posts

Back