L'Oreal training courses/academy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzscerri

Reaction score
I want to become a colour technician but without spending 2-3 yrs doing a apprenticeship. I understand this is the most affective and cheapest way of doing so, but am looking to moving abroad next year I'm nearly 23 and do not want to tie myself down.

Loreal do 'career path' course structures that help you start off your career (that focus on colour) and obv. include detailed info on all their products etc.

Has anyone trained at loreal academy or know anyone that has? Will 3or more of their courses be enough to get work in a salon that uses loreal as a technician in UK and/or abroad??or just mobile?

Any relevant advice welcome x

Hi, I know you get hairdressing academies and training providers who do 'intensive' courses but to be honest to get to a very good standard and to a level where you appeal to employers you'd be better going the path of an apprenticeship.

I've been a colour tech for 5 years (qualified) - I trained within a salon and had passed a basic nvq level 2 and an in salon trades test in under 18 months, be to be honest I learnt everything all over again in the first year or so! It also helped that I worked within a team of experiences technicians who offered support pre and post qualifying. There are moments of self doubt when your new on the floor and having reassurance and other people to run your ideas past is really helpful and confidence boosting

I did three L'Oreal courses whilst training starting of with the basic ones and they were great but I wouldn't have had a clue of I wasn't training. The salon I qualified in then converted to Wella and we were retrained as the product differed. I'm now at the point in a year or so to do the wella master colour course which is exciting.

I strongly believe it depends on what type of hairdresser you want to be, of its a true passion of yours it really is worth training properly. You gain an invaluable amount of experience in dealing with clients as an apprentice.

Also although the hair and beauty industry is thriving there's still a lot of completion for jobs-And I would think employers would have a preference to someone who had salon experience-web just for things such as booking appts and client handling. So how employable would you be?

These are just my opinions and I'm sure others will agree/disagree. Good luck and have a really good think about it before you make any financial commitments :)

Hi, I know you get hairdressing academies and training providers who do 'intensive' courses but to be honest to get to a very good standard and to a level where you appeal to employers you'd be better going the path of an apprenticeship.

I've been a colour tech for 5 years (qualified) - I trained within a salon and had passed a basic nvq level 2 and an in salon trades test in under 18 months, be to be honest I learnt everything all over again in the first year or so! It also helped that I worked within a team of experiences technicians who offered support pre and post qualifying. There are moments of self doubt when your new on the floor and having reassurance and other people to run your ideas past is really helpful and confidence boosting

I did three L'Oreal courses whilst training starting of with the basic ones and they were great but I wouldn't have had a clue of I wasn't training. The salon I qualified in then converted to Wella and we were retrained as the product differed. I'm now at the point in a year or so to do the wella master colour course which is exciting.

I strongly believe it depends on what type of hairdresser you want to be, of its a true passion of yours it really is worth training properly. You gain an invaluable amount of experience in dealing with clients as an apprentice.

Also although the hair and beauty industry is thriving there's still a lot of completion for jobs-And I would think employers would have a preference to someone who had salon experience-web just for things such as booking appts and client handling. So how employable would you be?

These are just my opinions and I'm sure others will agree/disagree. Good luck :)

And I would think employers would have a preference to someone who had salon experience-web just for things such as booking appts and client handling. So how employable would you be?

Hi, thanks for your advice...Sorry to be a pain but i didnt quite understand sentence above?? I currently work as a Receptionist in a salon.

Theres a couple of L'oreal courses that are designed for beginners,would taking a few of them including these stil not give me enough knowledge??

Hi, thanks for your advice...Sorry to be a pain but i didnt quite understand sentence above?? I currently work as a Receptionist in a salon.

Theres a couple of L'oreal courses that are designed for beginners,would taking a few of them including these stil not give me enough knowledge??

Sorry dam iphones! I meant that you need to also think how would an employer feel about taking a person on who although qualified has little or limited experience. Which in your case may not apply as your working within a salon environment already. But there really is so much you learn from training within a salon that sets you up for when your on the floor, its worth thinking about how employable youd be as some owners may not be keen on employing someone who did a fast track course. Then again it might not be an issue just something to bare in mind Sorry i inboxed you as well i think my app keeps going wild! Hope that makes a little more sense?

Latest posts

Back