Losing a few extensions, is this normal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber-

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I got a full head of micro ring extensions (160 extensions approx) done about 6 weeks ago.
I noticed some of the bonds were getting a bit soft last week (but the extension was still secure) but I have started losing the odd one- about 5 or 6 now.
Is this normal? I thought I was doing really well having lost none up until now.
I have been following the aftercare instrictions to a T. I did use a different shampoo last week (I used an Original Source minty one) which I think might have damaged some of the bonds.
I had wanted to re-use this hair but am afraid I won't be able to if the bonds are damaged. To save money next time I am looking at buying hair from Lush Us and then getting it put in. Do their bonds get damaged over time?

Also, the past few days I have noticed a residue on the extensions. I have tried washing with clarifying shampoo but it doesn't seem to be working. I do use leave-in conditioner but it seems to have started to build up on the hair instead of actually sink in.

Has anyone got any advice?

Well, Amber, it is normal to be losing some bonds in 6 weeks and nothing to worry about at all. But I'm more worried about the changes in the glue on your bonds. If you were following your aftercare instructions you would not be using your Original Source on your bonds/roots. It will definitely degrade the glue that is holding your extensions together...even in a micro-ring fitting. did your instructions not tell you to use only a special extension shampoo on the root area? It should have done.
I use Lush-us hair and only lush-us hair and if you use the correct extension shampoo on the roots and then follow the aftercare advice on nourishing products for the lengths then you will be able to re-use it. I have used my own for two fittings in a row.

Linda

If you were following your aftercare instructions you would not be using your Original Source on your bonds/roots. It will definitely degrade the glue that is holding your extensions together...even in a micro-ring fitting. did your instructions not tell you to use only a special extension shampoo on the root area? It should have done.

Hiya. Yeah, I have been following the aftercare to the letter... except for that one time I used the Original Source.
I have the mint & tea tree one, and it's really cooling and tingly.
It was a really hot sticky day and my head was so hot and itchy and sweaty after the gym. I couldn't help myself knowing how nice and cool the Original Source would feel.
That was the only time I used it, and it was the first time I lost an extension :(

I will never stray again!!!

I think I will book myself a maintenance appointment- will this help? What happens in a maintenance appointment?

It is normal to lose a few bonds, however, alarm bells rung when you said 'hot and sticky from the gym'.
If you regularly work out and sweat, you will be prone to losing extensions sooner and may need to have your re-fit/maintenance more regularly.
Also, leave-in conditioners are a no-no on ext. It will start to break down the bond and make the ext. slide down the hair shaft.

Even on natural hair, leave-ins are designed for occasional use. :)

Hiya. Yeah, I have been following the aftercare to the letter... except for that one time I used the Original Source.
I have the mint & tea tree one, and it's really cooling and tingly.
It was a really hot sticky day and my head was so hot and itchy and sweaty after the gym. I couldn't help myself knowing how nice and cool the Original Source would feel.
That was the only time I used it, and it was the first time I lost an extension :(

I will never stray again!!!

I think I will book myself a maintenance appointment- will this help? What happens in a maintenance appointment?

Unfortunately the damage is done in only one wash. And having been done there is no repairing it. The glue is now degraded and will not have the holding power it needs. It may result in it being slightly tacky and so the bonds can start to stick together or to the surrounding hair. Then you can get shedding where the hair is no longer held in the glue bond and as you've seen loss of bonds.
Every fitting should have a maintenance appt. It is at this session where your fitter can check the progress of your fittiing...pick up on any problems like excessive loss, excessive matting above the bond, dry flaky scalp etc. Then she can investigate the likely cause and address it with you. Then she will replace any bonds that have come out and maybe add a few extra ones if you have lost hair by shedding. She may tidy up any bonds that need it and you should be back to looking like you did when you first had your fit. :)

So I would advise you to book one and 'fess up about your cool and minty escapade ....lol....and let her do what she can to recover things.

And remember every day's a school day so you've learned a valuable lesson with this.

Linda

Latest posts

Back