Male clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicjill

Reaction score
Could anyone give me some ideas on how to attract male clients? I currently advertise male manicures but I've had no interest. I do have a lot of men coming into my salon for sunbeds, but none for nails. I think I just need to tempt them once as I'm sure that there are plenty of guys who'd come back if they just tried it. I already have a large client base but it doesn't hurt to expand! As far as I know, there are no other nail salons locally offering services aimed directly at men which in one way is good, as there is little competition but is also a problem as guys think it is too girly for them to pamper themselves.

Also, what would you include in a male manicure & what products are good for use on men? Can anyone recommend a good matt topcoat/treament to finish with? I kept my original manicure basic with fresh-scented products, cuticle work, file & buff. I would like to add some extras to make a luxury manicure, so I would appreciate any suggestions.

NAILS FOR MAILS - ORLY. I love it. Very natural looking. I too would like to attract more men (ooh matron) so I'll keep my eye on this thread. Good luck. x

nicjill said:
Could anyone give me some ideas on how to attract male clients? I currently advertise male manicures but I've had no interest. I do have a lot of men coming into my salon for sunbeds, but none for nails. I think I just need to tempt them once as I'm sure that there are plenty of guys who'd come back if they just tried it. I already have a large client base but it doesn't hurt to expand! As far as I know, there are no other nail salons locally offering services aimed directly at men which in one way is good, as there is little competition but is also a problem as guys think it is too girly for them to pamper themselves.

Also, what would you include in a male manicure & what products are good for use on men? Can anyone recommend a good matt topcoat/treament to finish with? I kept my original manicure basic with fresh-scented products, cuticle work, file & buff. I would like to add some extras to make a luxury manicure, so I would appreciate any suggestions.

Sorry - meant NAILS FOR MALES (not mails).

nicjill said:

Have you tried marketing it as a sports or business manicure? or something similar....Something manly....I've had too much Cava at the moment to think of anything, but I saw that that was how it was advertised somewhere else.

I will try and get the brain going on that one. Will get back to you.

Ask any male friends what would attract them for a manicure. Do a bit of market research in your area, if you can get the time.

I have just come back from a holiday in New York and I was checking out the millions of nail salons over there. One of the things that amazed me when I was having a manicure done was the amount of men in these salons having manicures and pedicures! The women to men ratio was 4-1!! I think American men have a different mindset to Brit guys as they see it as essential grooming whereas my man just thought it was wimpy! He won't even let me give him a manicure in our own home. I hate to be negative but I'm not sure how to get into these guys heads. You could try some friendly banter with them and try to see what their take on it is and maybe offer them a free trial.......hope it helps.

Why don't you leave some of your cards in some of the offices around where you are. You may find that more business men would be interested in manicures and looking after themselves.

Unfortunately where I live, there are very few offices locally, those men who work in offices travel into nearby cities. The ones who work locally tend to be more manual. I need to attract the office types in a different way I think. I have tried chatting to male tanning customers & I do think a few could be convinced but getting over their perceptions of the nail industry as being 'girly' is the problem. I think the idea of free trials might work, think I'll give it a try, thanks!

MEN DONT WASH THE CAR - WE DETAIL THE CAR.

How about Gentlemens Nail Detailing Services,.... Or just Hand DETAILING.

Maybe that 'll work, it has for me. But I'm a guy, When men come for services we play sports radio for them, always have coffee. OOPS, I MEAN TEA. Or maybe even beer. Remember.......... Liquor is quicker.

Try wedding nails for the ring photos, .. once they try it, they will be back.

Goood Luck

Hi there,

I provide the service as an inclusive one. While men are starting to appreciate the same beauty services as women, the whole "metrosexual" thing has had a backlash effect here and there is still resistance to what is seen as a female service.

I find that once men are in the salon, they've enjoyed the discreet surrounds and the professional attitude, I never get a 'no' when I ask, "Would you like a manicure, sir?" and because the price is all inclusive, I don't lose out and nobody's any the wiser.

Cheers,
B :idea:

How about preparing a special introductory offer ready for Father's Day... yes I know it's a while off BUT it would mean you have the time to have the correct wording and also time to research more... you can give the Father's Day Special leaflets/flyers to your female clients and try enticing the men that way. Have some kind of discount... ie 25% off your first male manicure, let them know the benefits etc.
hth
x

2 ideas

either "man-i-cure", putting the man back into nails

or, why not lose the words manicure altogether and call it a sports hand treatment? ooh err, I'v just read that again and it may have other connotations, oops!! Still at least you'd get loads of bookings!! Now I'm trying to think of an alternative but every time I use the word hand it ends up with another meaning. Pants, I give up!!

I've called mine the GQ Manicure and use products from the Cuccio Man range. They have a matt topcoat as well as a callus treatment and (hehehe) those pre-waxed strips for removing excess finger/hand hair. To be honest I am not using the wax strips (not sure how insurance would stand as I don't have a waxing qualification), but the fact that they are "men's" products helps a bit because it then seems like it's designed more for men, rather than using the same women's stuff. I also use the Cuccio Citrus Herb, Bergamot and Clary Sage butter blend, has a fab fresh smell that's not girly at all.
My male client today - in fact, my first client!! - is interviewing to be cabin crew for one of the airlines, so if you are anywhere near an airport, try to get those male cabin crew!! Their appearance is very important to them (and the airlines).
HTH

bimbogeri said:
I've called mine the GQ Manicure and use products from the Cuccio Man range. They have a matt topcoat as well as a callus treatment and (hehehe) those pre-waxed strips for removing excess finger/hand hair. To be honest I am not using the wax strips (not sure how insurance would stand as I don't have a waxing qualification), but the fact that they are "men's" products helps a bit because it then seems like it's designed more for men, rather than using the same women's stuff. I also use the Cuccio Citrus Herb, Bergamot and Clary Sage butter blend, has a fab fresh smell that's not girly at all.
My male client today - in fact, my first client!! - is interviewing to be cabin crew for one of the airlines, so if you are anywhere near an airport, try to get those male cabin crew!! Their appearance is very important to them (and the airlines).
HTH

Hi bimbogeri,

Where do you buy these from? Been searching for ages for a nice manicure range for men?

Please help? :)

Many thanks,

Rose
xx

What about trying a 'men only' evening, maybe they will be a bit more comfortable if there aren't any women around? When they've been once they might not feel so intimidated to come back, or if male only evening is a success then make it a regular thing? never tried it so not speaking from experience - just thought of it.

I got a matte basecoat from Sallys - it's a Salon System one I think, looks like normal base coat when it's applied but goes COMPLETELY matte in a minute or so - I was using it once, got sidetracked, it dried and I couldn't work out which nails I'd used it on!! I use a massage cream also from Sallys which is unscented so ideal for use on males/females and those with sensitive skin.

Raw Earth, Creative's new mani pedi products looks extremly unisex, the packaging will appeal to men :)

Cathy

Latest posts

Back