Males and nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick4

Reaction score
I've found myself in a sudden metrosexual phase in my life.

Wanting to look after my nails, I have purchased a basic nail clipper, brush, cuticle sticks, file and buffer block (4 sides apparently - amazing...)

I've seen a few guides on the net to a male manicure, but the end results look a bit rubbish, ie the guys are left with practically no nails.

How much 'white' nail should be left when you've finished filing/buffing?

I use the guy who advertises the iphone as a 'I want it that length' - this seems to be longer than the pictures in any DIY guide I have read though.

Is it worth me getting it done professionally first and using that as a starting point?

What's the average cost of a male manicure also?

I think that its fantastic to start looking after yourself and your nails. I would if i were you go and get a professional manicure first so that you can get some pointers and see what they are doing. I have seen people who dont know what they are doing use those buffer blocks and ending up filing their nails to thin which can be quite painful and will weaken your nails, a professional will do it properly. Pricewise, im not sure where you are located as i'm in Ireland but usually you can get a very basic manicure which just involves what you are looking for or you can get a luxury one with hand and arm massage etc, it depends on what you want. Have a look around your local salons. again lenghtwise its down to preference but i think just a small but definate thin free edge (white bit) on a man is nice. :D

I've found myself in a sudden metrosexual phase in my life.

Wanting to look after my nails, I have purchased a basic nail clipper, brush, cuticle sticks, file and buffer block (4 sides apparently - amazing...)

I've seen a few guides on the net to a male manicure, but the end results look a bit rubbish, ie the guys are left with practically no nails.

How much 'white' nail should be left when you've finished filing/buffing?

I use the guy who advertises the iphone as a 'I want it that length' - this seems to be longer than the pictures in any DIY guide I have read though.

Is it worth me getting it done professionally first and using that as a starting point?

What's the average cost of a male manicure also?
I love to see male hands that are well groomed ... long whites are not part of that scenario. UGH!

The white should be no more than 2mm in length in my opinion.

Less than 50 years ago male manicure was a regular offer in most good mens establishments for hair. My uncle who worked on the stock exchange in London had his hair trimmed and his nails buffed and free edge filed every 2-3 weeks and that was years ago. He always looked the consumat gentleman that he was.

A for average price? usually 20.00 plus for a manicure. For buff & tidy up 10.00+ depending on the quality and the location of the salon.

y dont you book on for a course, they are very reasonably priced, save you money in the long run.. i think its fab x go for it.. local dennis williams or sallys do courses in a day and u get a cert so u can do your mates and charge :) the nail bar near me has 5 men tec's and they are always busy lol... hmmmmm :D

Is there a member directory or anything where I can see anyone nearby who would offer a male manicure?

Not sure about any members directory but im sure if you just google beauty salons in your immediate area you'll find something :D

i think you should have them looking the way you think them attractive. dont worry about what other peoples views are. women dont.
i rather like to see a slightly longer nail on a man as long as they are consistent and very well groomed and clean, i also think that gents nails look nicer square than if they are filed oval.
but they are your nails and you should decide.

is 'polishing' them a step too far?

I did this last night and they're pretty shiney :o

Try not to over buff them yes they will shine but you will wear them thin!
There is a matte nail treatment that you can get this is a clear coating witch will help to protect them aswell as making them look nice and conformed , a nice cuticle oil will also help with this.
When I do male manicures I tend to use my C.N.D citrus manicure range, the male clients that I have always say how much they love the smell!
So it might be a good idea for you to call around a few salons and find one using this range.
As for price well it will be different everywhere but I tent to charge the same for male or female. Hope this helps ? :)
Don't forget your feet to ;)

Latest posts

Back