Manual Tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shellie xx

Reaction score
Please help! I want to start to offer manual tans in my salon but have no idea which one to go for!! I collected so much info at the show I feel a bit bombarded! Which one is your favourite and why? xx

I Love fake bake.

Infact, I gave myself a Fake Bake yesterday evening and must admit my body is killing me today, from all the stretching to get to my back.:lol:

Although It can be dark for this time of year IMO,

For winter
When im applying to myself I mix 1 part mosturiser to 1 part FB , And then I only left it on for 3 hours, When I washed it off it was perfect for me I have quiet olive skin.

For summer
I just apply full strength and leave over nite.

All my clients loved fake bake too, to be honest I think St Tropez or fake bake have you thought about get a small size of each one and trying it before you make a purchase.

Hope that helps

Angela

I Love fake bake.

Infact, I gave myself a Fake Bake yesterday evening and must admit my body is killing me today, from all the stretching to get to my back.:lol:

Although It can be dark for this time of year IMO,

For winter
When im applying to myself I mix 1 part mosturiser to 1 part FB , And then I only left it on for 3 hours, When I washed it off it was perfect for me I have quiet olive skin.

For summer
I just apply full strength and leave over nite.

All my clients loved fake bake too, to be honest I think St Tropez or fake bake have you thought about getting a small size of each one and trying it before you make a purchase.

Hope that helps

Angela

oops sorry i forgot to say why

I Love the colour and the fact that its easy to apply you can see where its going and i have never had a problem with streaks or patches

Last edited:
Thank you Angela, that's really helpful. I had fake bake put on to my arm at the show which was great and smelt lovely actually. I went to a salon and had a st tropez tan which was also lovely. I think you're right though, I should buy small ones and try them all on myself. Have you ever tried Tan Trick and Vani T? Or are they only available in spray tanning? xx

Thank you Angela, that's really helpful. I had fake bake put on to my arm at the show which was great and smelt lovely actually. I went to a salon and had a st tropez tan which was also lovely. I think you're right though, I should buy small ones and try them all on myself. Have you ever tried Tan Trick and Vani T? Or are they only available in spray tanning? xx

Hi shellie I havent tried them for spray tanning I use Su-do or Fake bake

If they are quiet pale i use su-do bronzer or if their dark skin i use fake bake or su-do dark. Hope that helps

for manual tanning I love st tropez classic lotion application, but I dont do them anymore as I find spray tans more profitable and I never get asked for them, but I liked it because you get a really even, deep tan, it lasts great and seems to fade well - with the correct exfoliation of course!

Thank you Sodabubble. I'd love to do spray tans but I don't have the space. I rent a room in a hairdressers so literally just have the room. Did you ever try any other manually applied tans? xx

I trained with and did St Tropez manual tan for a while. However I found it quite patchy and gave up in the end. There were lines on some clients for no reason so I gave it up and did spray tanning. Best thing I ever did and it is much quicker.

Did you know you can get a trade account with ST Tropez and buy it in litre sizes?

Depends which you want to go for? Ask for samples hun

Thank you Tinkywinky. I would love to do spray tanning but I haven't got the space to be honest. I did know that you can get trade accounts with the tanning companies but I would like to try them first ~ samples are a very good idea! The thing with St Tropez is that clients can buy the same product in Boots these days, I like the idea of doing a more exclusive range. Out of interest, do you use St Tropez for your spray tanning? xx

Thank you Sodabubble. I'd love to do spray tans but I don't have the space. I rent a room in a hairdressers so literally just have the room. Did you ever try any other manually applied tans? xx

i havent professionally, but did you know you can get spray tan tents that pop up and down in the blink of an eye! depends how big your room is, but the therapist who worked in the beauty room at my old place used to do it and got on just fine, best of luck xx

Hunny you don't need much room at all to do a spray tan, i have a really small salon and i teach spray tanning in there,
i am just in the middle of tiling one wall where i usually do my spray tans, you only need enough room for two of you and an extra foot of space for the machine,
us Tantrick/martini girls can do spray tans anywhere :lol:

Hunny you don't need much room at all to do a spray tan, i have a really small salon and i teach spray tanning in there,
i am just in the middle of tiling one wall where i usually do my spray tans, you only need enough room for two of you and an extra foot of space for the machine,
us Tantrick/martini girls can do spray tans anywhere :lol:

Really? I would love to ~ I can see how they make so much more money and easier for me!! The thing is, wouldn't the tan tint everything in my room? Like the white bed linen and white trollies, cupboards, product bottles etc?? xx

Really? I would love to ~ I can see how they make so much more money and easier for me!! The thing is, wouldn't the tan tint everything in my room? Like the white bed linen and white trollies, cupboards, product bottles etc?? xx
No not with the right training and right machine,
some machines do create a lot of over spray as do some therapists,
i have been spraying in my salon like this for over six months with no problems, until i get the wall tiling finished i just tape couch roll to the wall when i am teaching, much easier than messing with the tent,
although the tent does come out for the trainees to learn how to tame it,
if it is me spraying a client i dont bother with the couch roll hth

Thank you Loubyloo. I have got a tiny shower, do you think that would work? Thing is if I had a really big person, they would find it hard to turn around! xx

Hi there I bought an airbrush and tent for my small room but I found that although it looked like there was no overspray when I wiped down surfaces and the window sill a load of tan came off on the cleaning cloth! May be you do need a certain machine etc etc. All I would say is research very carefully. I have ended up selling my machine because it was just so much hassle moving stuff and cleaning.

The other thing is that I read somewhere that they are bringing in rules about using it in a separate room with proper ventilation etc. It may be on Habia. I am not trying to put you off as I am sure many use OK in a small room but please just check it all out and get really good advice.:hug:

Thank you Essentia. That is actually partly the reason why I'm thinking that doing the manual application would be better for me because of the venitlation. Do you offer a manual applicated tan? xx

For manual tan id go for fake bake although as someone else said it can be abit dark on the fairer skin but i think the colour is great and wears well its a well known product that your clients will recognise and go for. How big is your room to be honest my machine doesnt give off that much overspray if you get the pop up booth use the top cover and an extractor fan youll probably be ok but you might find it a pain having to keep putting it up and down constantly could you not offer the tans as a mobile service at night in the clients home? It leaves abit of a smell that lingers for a while aswell you might not like that in your beauty room.

Hi Shellie Yes I offer Fake Bake Gold manual tan. I am a strawberry blonde and I find the colour fine but I do tend to wash off before the time stated. As the post above says another thing is the scent left in the beauty room. I just found it more hassle than what it was worth. The other thing was that because I suffer from hayfever/sinus problems it made it worse (I did use a mask)and if you have sensitive clients (especially asthmatics) that come in after you spray it may cause problems.

Thank you Loubyloo. I have got a tiny shower, do you think that would work? Thing is if I had a really big person, they would find it hard to turn around! xx
Yes that would work well, i would place a dark towel in the bottom of the shower to avoid any slips and outside the shower tray too just to be sure,
as for the larger person, i am sure they manage quite well at home to have a shower so no difference really,
the tents that we use are no bigger than a shower and i have never heard of anyone not been able to fit in one of those,
as for the habia/ventilation rules that may or may not becoming into force, you can buy portable extraction units for a reasonable price, these get rid of any over spray that you may have too hth

Hi The only problem with using a shower cubicle - I presume it has 3 solid walls is that the extraction unit will have to be behind you when you work - I cannot see that being effective. A tanning tent has a flap to put the extraction unit in behind the client so as you spray it takes the overspray away effectively. Like I said you may get around these problems but research very thoroughly. The guidelines I believe state that you may have to have a separate room for spray tanning but I did not read this indepth so go through everything first before parting with your money. :hug:

Latest posts

Back