Marbelling help! ! ! !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainbow girl

Reaction score
Im trying very hard to master the art of marbelling. Been going at it all afternoon, with no result really. To me it just looks like a big mess! ! ! :irked:
What am i doing wrong? Ive tried to put more/less paint on, different colours. Is it just technique?
Please help
Oh and thank you :hug:

I find that I get different results depending on what I use. If I use nail art paints I generally get a bit of a brown mush, but if I use varnish, it gets thicker and dries slower so I have a little more time to play with the colours. I also find if you put a fair bit of polish on (if you want to cover the whole nail) but only swirl it very lightly, this looks pretty good too. And using different shades of the same colour can look good.:lol:

I find if I work quickly it does not allow the paint to dry leaving me with a smooth finish I also have to stop myself from overworking the paint as it goes all lumpy.

What tool are you using:?:

For our exam we have to use marbelling tool (dotting tool). They tod us, we should put 2 layers of colour on (as normal) Apply 3rd coat fairly thickly, then with another colour let varnish drip on to the nail. Same amount of drips each side, to get even pattern. Then marbel away! ! ! :irked:
Its not really happening, lol. Im using varnish.
Thanks very much
Claire :cool:

I find it much easier to use nail paint and marbel immediatley and dont over marble

I'm glad you posted this cos I was trying this at college on Saturday and it looked bloomin' awful! I was using a dotting tool, and I worked out that maybe thicker blobs of varnish worked better, but I think I was marbling too hard (if that's the right way of putting it! :suprised: ) cos it did end up going lumpy and looking all bobbled. Now I'm gonna give it another go! xxx

I was taught to choose three complementry colours. Use a base coat then apply the darkest colour as normal. Then you have to work quiet quickly blob on generous dots of the medium colur polish then the lightest shade apply really light pressure run you marbelling tool through the middle of all the blobs of polish. The colurs really do have do match and you can over marbel so once the polish goes tacky stop or it will get into a bit of a mess. You can correct the marbelling if your quick by adding more blobs of polish and quickly marbelling them in. It is alot harder to blend on tips, if you can try practising on a model. Also choose a newish polish that wont go tacky quickly.

Hopes this helps you keep practising :lol:

I dont put a layer of polish on then drip paint on i cant see that the layer of polish would be thick or wet enough to marble with the varnish dripped on. (if that makes sense). I use nail varnish and drip 2 different colours all over the nail then use a really thin brush and just swirl them into each other, if the colour looks too overpowering with one colour then i add some more of the other colour and keep swirling. hope this helps,
zoe.

do you have to use the marblling tool?
The way i get the marble effect is putting water into a small pot, drop colours into the water and swirl around with a cocktail stick (not to much though) then dip the nail in, wollah you have marble effect on your nail.
i usually paint the nail a base colour first too, depending on what colours and style you want it to be.

hope this helps

tina x x

Hey Tina, so do you basically use the same principle as when peeps used to make marbled paper at school? What paints do you use? It sounds so much simpler to do it that way, but I'd be worried about the design running or not taking on the nail, if you see what I mean :D
xx

Latest posts

Back