Massage contraindications with thyroid treatment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Szuie

Reaction score
I’d be greatful for some help. I had a client in for a back head and shoulder massage earlier today who is on thyroxine after having her thyroid removed over 2 years ago. She is in good health and thyroid treatment is all controlled. I checked through my notes and contraindications previous to her treatment and nothing to say not to massage. Now doubting myself, should I have gone ahead with the treatment. Helpful advice needed as now worried as to whether I should have proceeded as she would like to book in for more massages. Thanks in advance.

I’d be greatful for some help. I had a client in for a back head and shoulder massage earlier today who is on thyroxine after having her thyroid removed over 2 years ago. She is in good health and thyroid treatment is all controlled. I checked through my notes and contraindications previous to her treatment and nothing to say not to massage. Now doubting myself, should I have gone ahead with the treatment. Helpful advice needed as now worried as to whether I should have proceeded as she would like to book in for more massages. Thanks in advance.

Did the client tell you why they had it removed?

Please don't worry too much and panic at this stage , you did it for her benefit and I bet you she has thoroughily enjoyed her session with you.
If I was you I would check with your insurance provider to be on the safe side and get her to ask the gp or other healthcare worker ( they have regular blood tests) for their approval before the next treatment.
Sounds like hers was overactive and maybe pressing on her trachea or oesophagus.
I have done treatments such as a therapeutic back massage on my clients wo do have an underactive thyroid and it has not been a problem, as you say she is medicated and looked after by the gp so you should be ok to proceed.
( Both my mum and sister have an underactive thyroid and are on thyroxine and there are no treatments that they have missed out on in life. They have had Aromatherapy, Reflexology , Indian head massage and physiotherapy with accupuncture. None have been contra indicated to them.. It's hereditary in their case. However my maternal grandma had a complete removal, like your lady for no reason other than it being overactive. So her threatment was thyroxine too. )
All this will be noted on her consultation card anyway.
One point to mention is that she could well be at increased risk of osteoporosis so ease up a bit on the pressure if over her joints or vertebra just to be a little more gentle.
Have faith and check your insurance when you can.

Please don't worry too much and panic at this stage , you did it for her benefit and I bet you she has thoroughily enjoyed her session with you.
If I was you I would check with your insurance provider to be on the safe side and get her to ask the gp or other healthcare worker ( they have regular blood tests) for their approval before the next treatment.
Sounds like hers was overactive and maybe pressing on her trachea or oesophagus.
I have done treatments such as a therapeutic back massage on my clients wo do have an underactive thyroid and it has not been a problem, as you say she is medicated and looked after by the gp so you should be ok to proceed.
( Both my mum and sister have an underactive thyroid and are on thyroxine and there are no treatments that they have missed out on in life. They have had Aromatherapy, Reflexology , Indian head massage and physiotherapy with accupuncture. None have been contra indicated to them.. It's hereditary in their case. However my maternal grandma had a complete removal, like your lady for no reason other than it being overactive. So her threatment was thyroxine too. )
All this will be noted on her consultation card anyway.
One point to mention is that she could well be at increased risk of osteoporosis so ease up a bit on the pressure if over her joints or vertebra just to be a little more gentle.
Have faith and check your insurance when you can.
Thank you for your reply Rosie. Really appreciate you’re feed back. I only gave her a gentle relaxing massage not too much pressure. But will note the possibility of osteoporosis and will get her to check with a health care/ dr x

I’ve had half my thyroid removed so looked into this and no contradictions. I’ve also never been refused a massage. In fact a full body massage combats many of the associated aches and pains x

Thank you I did think that the benefits outweighed the negatives.

Latest posts

Back