Massage therapy, starting a business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I want to start up my own massage and holistic therapy either renting a room or mobile I'm yet unsure in the UK but I'm worried as i was a full qualified hairdresser how ever I'm still young (19 nearly 20 ) I'm good at holistic massage but wondering if i will be taken seriously and if it would even be worth my time I'm also going to offer brows and tanning as hair isn't what i love even winning awards i just don't love it anymore.
any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Have you got working experience of massage? What qualification level? Are you confident you can do 6+ hours of massage / day?
It can be very rewarding to help clients, but it's a physical, tiring business. Also for single-room and especially for mobile massage therapists you must (sadly) consider your safety, and whether you can deal with the inevitable bad customers

Have you got working experience of massage? What qualification level? Are you confident you can do 6+ hours of massage / day?
It can be very rewarding to help clients, but it's a physical, tiring business. Also for single-room and especially for mobile massage therapists you must (sadly) consider your safety, and whether you can deal with the inevitable bad customers

I think it is very important to consider all of the above however you know what is right for you and the area that you live in. I have been a mobile massage therapist for 2 years, it isa demanding job in many ways but also incredibly rewarding.

At 20 you can easily retrain in massage if it's what you really want to do. I qualified at 30 years old and I love it! As you were a hairdresser before, you will have great experience working with clients which can only be a bonus.
I work mainly in holistic massage which is my passion but as I wanted my hands and body to hold out for as long as possible, I also offer natural nail treatments and facials (which goes great with massage - I do lots of pamper packages!). On an average week, I probably do 70% massage and the rest beauty, which works perfectly for me physically.
I do get lots of requests for waxing / lash extensions / tanning etc (all of which I'm qualified to do) but to ensure that I'm known for the massage, I prefer to limit the beauty side.
I hope that helps!

At 20 you can easily retrain in massage if it's what you really want to do. I qualified at 30 years old and I love it! As you were a hairdresser before, you will have great experience working with clients which can only be a bonus.
I work mainly in holistic massage which is my passion but as I wanted my hands and body to hold out for as long as possible, I also offer natural nail treatments and facials (which goes great with massage - I do lots of pamper packages!). On an average week, I probably do 70% massage and the rest beauty, which works perfectly for me physically.
I do get lots of requests for waxing / lash extensions / tanning etc (all of which I'm qualified to do) but to ensure that I'm known for the massage, I prefer to limit the beauty side.
I hope that helps!
What are natural nail treatments?

What are natural nail treatments?

I meant that I don't offer any extensions like acrylics or bio sculpture etc.
I do manicures, pedicures and Shellac. I also don't offer nail art, not even wraps/gems/glitter/crystals.

You may want to take care when using terms like natural in relation to nail polish. Even more so with Shellac, it is the polar opposite of natural!

You may want to take care when using terms like natural in relation to nail polish. Even more so with Shellac, it is the polar opposite of natural!

Sorry for the misuse of terminology in my post. I simply meant that I do treatments on natural nails i.e. not false nails. I don't state anywhere on my website that shellac is a natural treatment or that I use natural nail polish. I say that I work on the natural nail which has never caused any confusion so far. Thanks though!

Latest posts

Back