Men or Women or either

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr tan man

Reaction score
Hi all

Ive been Practicing and Practicing my spray tanning and goiong on a course soon so i can get my insurance and go mobile. However i'm nervouse to start advertising incase i get no customers as im a man :rolleyes:.

What do you think, does it matter that i'm a man and women will be scared to get a spray tan off me or do you think i'll get lots of male customers instead and that would be my target audience.

Well I think ur gonna get thoses who want specific ones , but for the most I think u'll be alright . I know I wouldn't care who it was , male or female. :D

I would be doing you a disservice if I didn't answer honestly.

As a woman,I would prefer a woman.
A man might make me uncomfortable about my belly from my kids and other saggy bits from old age. And I most definately could NOT do it naked! NOT in a million years. "Maybe" I might, if I could wear a bikini. And that's a big maybe.

But then, I don't think I'd get tanned from a woman either. I'm just very, very modest, and I get embarassed at my dr's office, and SHE'S a woman.

But I know this is a new generation of women, that are far less inihibited than I am. I'm sure that if you've the right personality and technique for putting people at ease, then it shouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't target a specific group. Some people don't care either way, so why limit yourself?

hth's

If you were gay i would have no
problem with it. If not im not sure id want to get my body out.
I do think women have an affinity with gay men and are quite happy to let them into aspects of their lives that they would not let a heterosexual male .I think its based more on judgement than sex.In that i would think that a heterosexual male would be thinking ...shes let herself go :)

I think part of it is that a gay man doesn't see us in a sexual fashion, so it'd be like having a woman (straight) do it. LIke a sister.
Same applies to a gay female, I wouldn't be comfortable. (kind of like when my sister in law's girlfriend walked into the bathroom on me when I was 'sitting'? I freaked out. To me, it was the equivalent of my brother in law walking in LOL)
But one who isn't... might enjoy the view, might not... whatever....

BUT either way, gay or not, we ALL are guilty of judging people's bodies. Human nature. So if it's more about the 'judging' and less about the sexuality of someone, THEN it shouldn't really matter what someone's sexual orientation is. If that makes any sense?

And so, I'm shy and the only person(s) seeing my naked body is my dr and my hubby :lol:

I wouldn't mind being sprayed by a man or a woman, the gay thing made me laugh:lol: what you going to say 'oh by the way are you gay?' if you are you can spray me, if not then you can't!

if you are you can spray me, if not then you can't!

That would depend on whether they are male or female AND whether you are male or female:lol::wink2:

But, I wasn't trying to be nasty or whatever. I just meant if someone might be concerned about the sexuality aspect in terms of whether or not someone was judging them or finding them attractive or whatever; know what I mean?

I'd love to try spray-tanning BUT I'd be uncomfortable no matter who they were and which way they swung. The whole naked thing,ya know lol

I wouldn't mind being sprayed by a man or a woman, the gay thing made me laugh:lol: what you going to say 'oh by the way are you gay?' if you are you can spray me, if not then you can't!

No i dont think i would have to ask
I think nowadays we are all very aware of someones sexuality without having to have it confirmed especially in a business like ours and dont forget this was asked as an enquiry from a man and what i am saying is probably fact so dont turn it in to anything it doesnt have to be.

oh no I didn't mean that, It just made me giggle, and I do see where you're coming from 100%:hug:

ok then so if someone was to ring a mobile spray tanner up, then how would you know? or if you were to ring a salon and didn't actually speak to the person doing the tan, and you turned up and it was a hetrosexual man say! thats all I mean, I wasnt turning it into anything:irked:

Personally, I feel uncomfortable baring all infront of anyone - male or female - since having children, so I don't think that would make any difference to me.

Yes there is the whole 'sexual' side of things but we expect our male clients to respect us as professionals everyday... I think that male therapists deserve the same respect.

What your female clients need is to feel comfortable and safe. So,

Think carefully about how you market yourself, don't give anyone an excuse to question your motivation for being in this industry (people love to judge :irked:).

Stay super professional at all times and everything will be great.
Good luck!

HI

Thanks for the help......

. . . . . just my luck to be gay then:lol:

Do you think that they might already assume i'm gay because i'm doing beauty. I know its stereo typical

should i put on my leaflets

"Gay man i dont care what you look like in your paper knickers !!!"

Hi I suggest that you have a look on a forum dedicated to spray tanning. I know the tropical sunrise video widely seen on the net is carried out by a man. See their site Mobile Spray Tanning in Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire. If you contact them they may be able to give you some advice as a guy doing tanning. :)

I am only being honest

The other point I have thought of is that you are going into peoples homes and would the ladies partner feel comfortable with you spraying there partner semi naked.

You know what men are like, whats mine is mine. (that tops a bit low your **** are showing) I just laugh

But you know what I mean

This is something I've debated myself about whether or not it would be worth my doing it. There are a lot of people who do tanning so there are a lot of people to compete with, and you need to push your Unique Selling Point - why should someone use you?

Guys are a good market to target, us gayers a particularly good one because so many like their perma-tan.

The girls is harder, some may not be too happy about it one on one. But tanning parties - particularly here you need a really strong USP to encourage people to book, and also to book with you. I haven't come up with a good tag line yet, but tanning party for a bunch of girls with a gay tanner could go down very well and is something to sell on.

Also don't limit the market too much, if you can get into a well off ladies who lunch area thing bigger, talk to event organisers to get on their books as an extra service they can offer, if there is an equivilent of Butlers In The Buff in your area again talk to them.

Good luck and tan-on!
Mat xx

Hi, I can understand your apprehension and I can also understand some of the views that have been voiced here - women feeling uncomfortable etc....

If this is all the case that women feel uncomfortabel with being spraytanned by a man, then the same must apply the other way around which we find quite often. Men hesitate going into a beauty shop to be sprayed by a female technician.

As I see it this is your major opportunity as there is lots and lots of men out there that feel intimidated by the environment in a beauty salon run by women and especially or moreso to get undressed and sprayed by a woman. So they must feel utterly comfortable then being spraytanned by you as a man? This is your main marketing opportunity and I am sure you will be pulling in lots of men - try advertising or dropping off leaflets in gyms etc and I am sure you will be surprised!!!!

The same way as we recommend partner tanning for the reverse scenario you could offer the same after a while to then convert your male clientele into a more mixed one!!!!!

Just another thought - some of the most famous and popular intimate waxing gurus are men and women dont seem to have a problem getting their kit off in that situation - so why should spraytanning be different? I would even think that some women find it easier to get undressed in front of a man than a women as we would always compare ourselves with other women of different shapes and sizes and it is easier in front of a man as he will appreciate a bit more what he sees (not interested in lumps and bumps like we are) -

Plus one major criteria to think about - when you spraytan you are not looking at the person anyway - you are too focused on the skin and on doing the tan professionally and even to have a happy customer???????

HI

Do you think that they might already assume i'm gay because i'm doing beauty. I know its stereo typical

I hate stereotyping but to be perfectly honest, I reckon people will assume you must be gay to be a beauty therapist!!!

I am also a gay beauty therapist, but being a female makes it very un stereotypical!!!

However I have to say my sexuality as caused me no problems whatsoever in this industry. As a matter of fact there is a huge gay market out there that is rarely targeted!!! Target the gay market and its yours for the takings, I bet nobody else in your area has thought of this!!

The younger clients are absolutley not bothered, and when I have a more "mature" client, I simply dont mention it, when asked I just refer to my gf as "partner" "They" etc

I see my sexuality in the industry as a bonus, for example I am the only salon in warwickshire and Coventry that has a rainbow sign on the door! I specifically state I cater for civil parnerships, and weddings etc

PM if you want to know ways to target a huge audience for free!!

And incase I didnt answer that question and I just waffled, no I dont see the fact that you are a male as a problem in the industry, just use it to your advantage!!

HTH

I just thought, look how successfull Gok Wahn is!!! He totally makes women feel at ease and gets them to get thier kit off AND feel confident!!!!!!:green:

I'd be happier in front of a man as I being a woman I know how judgemental women can be - where the men I know would say 'look at the t*ts on that' the women would comment on look at the strech marks, look at how they sag, things like that!

But I probably just know b*tchy girls!

Helen

HI

should i put on my leaflets

"Gay man i dont care what you look like in your paper knickers !!!"

:lol: That made me giggle, think it sounds great.

Latest posts

Back