Mermaid pigment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsBB2013

Reaction score
I have just ordered some mermaid pigment. Very excited. Just wondering what your tips are on how to use it best on gel polish and acrylic nails? X

What's mermaid pigment? [emoji4] x

Gorgeous, seems like a German thing. Petra Jakes does bulk orders x

I think it's just a version of CND effects additives x

Do you have any tips on additives helward?

Do you have any tips on additives helward?

I did the CND additives class earlier this week and it is so helpful, not just how to create different effects but also from a commercial point of view.

Creating beautiful nail art that takes ages is great but realistically no one will pay for it etc....
So they focus on efficient but effective designs that you can Ellaborate on as you build confidence :)

The first thing I learnt is that trying to be perfect when placing additives is pointless - the beauty of them is that you can plonk them down and blend and burnish them in but your shellac has to be neat otherwise the additive can highlight rough edges.
They can be used with vinylux but you can't really get the same silky smooth finish.
I also did a little extra as I was the only one booked on and went over how to mix additives into brisa lite etc - golden rule is max 30% additive to gel ratio but you have to measure it by eye. If you used the chunkier additives (like the contradictions collection) you can create little gems with the gel once they're mixed.
But generally there are no rules, just don't use a good brush to burnish because you will kill it quickly :)

Would definitely recommend the class xxx

Are there any good value brushes that you would recommend for burnishing? Xx

Thanks very much, as soon as it comes I will have a little play around with it. Good tip about it highlighting imperfections in my gel polish x

Are there any good value brushes that you would recommend for burnishing? Xx

I literally used a cheap square end brush from eBay but I've seen people use small eyeshadow brushes and all sorts - anything that will float the product over the nail with dragging :) xx

I have the Indigo Mermaid Effect and was told by the distributor to place it using my finger, then using a soft brush wipe away the excess.

Here is a tutorial I have done

Hope this helps :)

I have just ordered some mermaid pigment. Very excited. Just wondering what your tips are on how to use it best on gel polish and acrylic nails? X

Got mine yesterday, had a play last night, I love it!!

I did a pink to lilac vertical fade on each nail with shellac, pressed the mermaid pigment into the sticky layer then rubbed over with a toothbrush until the effect took place, it was very theraputic. It looks like super fine glitter or sugar until you rub it and it goes smooth. I'll try to upload a picture. I think it will look stunning over white or black maybe.

Mermaid effect.jpg

Got mine yesterday, had a play last night, I love it!!

I did a pink to lilac vertical fade on each nail with shellac, pressed the mermaid pigment into the sticky layer then rubbed over with a toothbrush until the effect took place, it was very theraputic. It looks like super fine glitter or sugar until you rub it and it goes smooth. I'll try to upload a picture. I think it will look stunning over white or black maybe.

View attachment 189407

This is gorgeous [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]
Where did you order yours from if you don't mind me asking xx

Last edited:
I literally used a cheap square end brush from eBay but I've seen people use small eyeshadow brushes and all sorts - anything that will float the product over the nail with dragging :) xx

Thanks, I've ordered a few different shaped eyeshadow brushes to try! Xxx

Love those nails trinity. The post office is holding mine cos I wasn't in. Hopefully get it later today and have a play! X

I have the Magpie Two Faced Dusts which I think might be similar. Has anyone used these and is it a different effect? x

I have the Magpie Two Faced Dusts which I think might be similar. Has anyone used these and is it a different effect? x

I've been looking at the magpie ones - they look gorgeous.... I wanted the CND effects but they're mostly out of stock on s2 so wondered if these may be a good alternative - thoughts anyone?!

Also, although the I don't have the CND effects, I have used them and I personally don't think the mermaid pigment is similar. The CND alter the look/finish/colour whereas the mermaid pigment doesn't 'change' the colour is just makes it uber sparkly, almost reflective but not holographic xxxx

Latest posts

Back