Microdermabrasion ....what is it used for ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Emmsybabes~

Reaction score
All I know of this treatment really is that it does something like removes skin in someway...leaving behind better skin ?
(not very technicial i know)

I have really bad skin....dull full of enlarged pores on my cheeks and nose...
I have scaring from acne ..
Very uneven skin tone..a mixture of reds and yellow and whiter patches...

I was wondering wether microdermabrasion would benifit me and mabey improve my skin,
I am so embarrased...I actually hate looking people in the face when talking to them because of it,

I dont know if a photo of my skin would help anybody a little bit more, I wont post on here I'm sorry, but i could email one or something,

WHat is involoved in microdermabrasion ?
Is it really painful?
would I need to go in hiding afterwards...will my face be a mess...
Is it VERY expensive....But would it all be worth it ?

thats all my questions I think lol

Thankyou x

hey hun,

Microdermabrasion is like a non-surgical way to help rid of acne scars, sunspots, millia (and all the things you mentioned in your post), using either wheat or aluminuin crystals through a small vacum like tube that gently exfoliates the top layer of the skin, sloughing off all the dead skin cells as it goes.
In your treatment the therapist would go once over your whole face first and then concentrate on your problem area's. It does work as we use it in the salon and you would notice a differance after the first time, as your skin would be alot smoother and feel cleaner, but for the problems you mentioned you will probley need a course to get maximum results.
It doesnt hurt at all!

Last edited:
hi
I had it done at exel and it was fab!! hoping to start doing it my self as I was so impressed.
I suffered from acne for years and struggled to get my skin in to a good condition. Have to say noticed a huge difference straight away with this.
I'm now a huge fan

ooo It's sounding good,
So will my whole face be like a scab or something ?
eeewwww...worth it in the end though hey !

No hun :green: it wont scab, its a gentle exfoliation its taking the surface layer (dead skin) off, you don't really feel it!

It's a really good treatment and from what you've said it sounds like it will be ideal for you. All you will notice after the treatment is possibly a slight pinkness to the skin, but it makes it look so clean and healthy. You should use a cream with SPF in it if you don't already, as it can make the skin more sensitive to the sun.

I used to do a lady who had quite pronounced acne scars over the whole of her face. The first time she came, she couldn't even look me in the face, her self confidence was so low. But after a course of treatments there was so much improvement that she was like a different person - got a haircut, started wearing make-up, got herself a toyboy. Not saying you're going to do that, lol, but just to show you the difference it can make.

Go for it, you will not regret it.

well have been looking for about half an hour and can't find anyone local...
Sooo I am going to ring the college tomorrow, and see if they do it there,
Will be hopefully closer, cheaper and better for me, and also will help out some students,

I have had a little research too...and I have seen some before and after pics...and omg I'm excited at the thought of having smoother skin,
I always feel like I look dirty iykwim,
I too dont like looking people in the face, I'll try to look side on or something,
I don't usually wear my hair up either, coz i feel too exposed ..
The thought of being able to wear make up and have it look nice and even, makes me smile :green:

Had my first microdermabrasion today,
Is it normal for it not to look different after the first time ?

I have rebooked for 2 weeks time,
I have also booked in for a galvanic facial next week as recommended by the girl who performed my treatment,
And If I can get the money I will also be buying the dermalogica acne prone skin care set,

She said I had a dry skin type, but the skin condition acne..
She was a lovely girl bless her,

She started of on a scale of 1...and then I think she went to 3..she said the machine went up to a 9...
I then had a lovely masque applied..
I have been and bought a factor 30 sun cream to apply as advised...

I also noticed she did the sides of my nose, but not on my nose...? Is there anything I can do about the blocked pores on my nose ?

I am a woman on a mission with my skin lol..

Oooo and she commented that my nails were lovely :lol:

Last edited:
Any idea what machine she used, Emms? It sounds to me like she was being very cautious as it was your first treatment, that's maybe why you didn't see a lot of difference. If you can cope with it being turned up, then tell her next time you go. Your skin should have a healthy glow at the end of the treatment.

And yes, we used to do the nose as well, maybe you should ask her about that too.

Just check that the suncream you bought is non-comedogenic (won't block the pores) or you'll undo all the good work that the facials are doing.

You're on the right road now, keep it up!

Thankyou hun,
I am not sure what the machine was, All I know was she was using crystals...
That proabably doesnt help lol ...
I have booked in with the same girl next week for the Galvanic facial, and again for the week after for the next microdermabrasion,

The kids told me my fore head looks nicer lol......
I had no glow, or pinkness , the only thing I noticed is one of my spots that was a big red one this morning, had a fab head on it, by the time I got home...Niiiiiiiiiiiccceee !!!

And my pores seem more open now..which I am hoping it a good thing..
Also I have a little mark at the side of my eye like where the blood has risen to the surface, Like a love bite lol

The little mark by the side of your eye will just be where the circulation has got pulled to the surface, like a love bite as you said. Don't worry about that, it'll soon go. Sometimes after any facial, you do get spots coming out, but they are only the ones that are lurking under the surface which would have come out anyway.

Like I said, you need to speak to the therapist who did your treatment, but I'd persevere with it, you should get much better results next time, especially if you have the machine a bit higher.

just read all your posts on this subject and the only thing i would say is you should be having it every 7 to 10 days as the skin has too much time to come back and wot you want it to do is to go deeper. micro is a very good facial to use on the skin as it is taking all the inpurities out of the skin and overall giving the skin a better tone and inproves the collegen in the skin. It works very well on open pores like you said you have and would be a very benafical treatment on a person with dull skin because it gives you a healthy glow. i havent been doing this long and i use a skinbase machine which only goes up to level 3 which is strong anough. I was told by the person that trained me said that only doctors can use beond that point unless you use it on the body which you can go up to level 4. Have you been given aftercare advice on what not to use after the treatment?

Hi there ladies,
I actually provide training for microdermabrasion, and I have to say you're all very well informed! Ideally, you should be having a treatment once a week if you have a problem you'd like to address with microdermabrasion.
As for the levels the machine goes up to, it does depend which machine the therapist is using so I can't really comment on that side of it, it doesn't sound like the one I train on...however, it is better to start on a lower intensity and work your way up throughout the course.That's not to say it's a "no pain no gain" treatment, it should never hurt!!! Ever!!
You'll probably need a good 10-12 treatments in all, but obviously it depends on your skin to start with, and how well it responds to treatment. When I have one I notice a result immediately, but some people take a few sessions to see something going on.
Keep moisturising, and keep going with the facials, you will see a result in the end! Good luck!!

HI girls.
I have just come home from my 2nd microderm and it was FAB,
I really felt it working today, the girl who did it today (and my galvanic last week) is very professional...I feel safe in her hands lol...

My skin feels nice again yayyy,
I have been given all aftercare, and WILL be following it,
I think I am having them fortnightly as I am also having galvanic facials every alternate week ..

I am noticing an improvement now, Not so much in the appearence..well I am but it still looks bad iykwim,
But the condition and feel of it is
much better....I will persevere as it means a lot to me.
Also instead of getting the big sore spots I normally get on a weekly basis, I am now only getting what I would call little pimples !!! heaven !!

I have gave the girl the address of this website, so she can come on for a nosey.
You can never have too many geeks lol !

So kirsty if you find this...you have found me heelloooooooo :green:

I'm so pleased for you! It's lovely to know that you're starting to get the results that you want. You just have to stick with it now!

Latest posts

Back