Moving on from training to work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissD81

Reaction score
Hello Salon Geek

Thank you for having me! I have been a p/t Bridal make up artist for 4 years self employed and this month have trained in basic wax and uv Gel nails. I work as a p/t beauty consultant in a department store and am now thinking of setting up full time as a freelance.

Bridal make up was more of a hobby up until now.

I did my nail training with Cambridge beauty academy using The edge, and Salon systems wax training at Ideal Peterborough.

As I only trained a week ago in both I am practising on friends and family- it is taking me 1.5 hours to do basic gel nails, waxing im quite quick at as I wax myself normally anyway.

I just wondered how to make the transition from practising to actually providing a service? How long do I practise for ? weeks? months? when can I charge full price as fully practising ?

I have been approached by a salon owner who would like me to work S/E on 50/50 basis doing nails. is 1.5 hours acceptable amount of time for nails? Surely people want them bashe out in their lunch hour? 2 should I offer a newly qualified discount or do you think that would put people off?

also- (sorry lots of questions) I was trained to use 3 layers of gel and yesterday a lady I did said she only normaly has one thick coat because it looks more natural- ?? I thought at least 2 in case of shrinkage and for strenght.

Im going to have a look on your how to guides and see what I can find. I would have to pass up on the opportunity to work in a salon but need to feel 100% confident first.

any advice appreciated

Danielle

Latest posts

Back