Mutant cuticle....?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxxyzinha

Essex Girl Abroad Geek
Reaction score
Good evening geeks,

I'm hoping sobody can help with a little cuticle problem that I'm having.

I have done a search but not really finding anything that's exactly the answer that I'm after.

On the middle nail of my right hand the cuticle grows very long, but just in the centre. Not sure if I'm explaining this right but it's like a very thin pointy bit right down the centre of my nail.

To get rid of it i usually get the tweezers and pull it out ........... which maybe is not the right thing to do after reading some of the other threads...!!:Scared:

Can anybody tell me why it does this and if there's anything i can do to stop it growing back??

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Anna xx

foxxyzinha said:
On the middle nail of my right hand the cuticle grows very long, but just in the centre. Not sure if I'm explaining this right but it's like a very thin pointy bit right down the centre of my nail.
To get rid of it i usually get the tweezers and pull it out

Hi Anna

From what you describe this sounds like Pterygium, which is not cuticle it is actually living tissue growing out across the nail plate...
When on the top of the nail it's called dorsal pterygium. It's often linked to serious trauma or injury. If when you are pulling it off it is tender or bleeds I would Definatly stop doing it!! It is not recommended to ever try and remove ptrygium.
Pterygium can also be caused by allergy or sensativity to certain products like formaldehyde or even monomer is rare cases.
It is recommended to seek advice from a medical professional.

Envy said:
Hi Anna

From what you describe this sounds like Pterygium, which is not cuticle it is actually living tissue growing out across the nail plate...
When on the top of the nail it's called dorsal pterygium. It's often linked to serious trauma or injury. If when you are pulling it off it is tender or bleeds I would Definatly stop doing it!! It is not recommended to ever try and remove ptrygium.
Pterygium can also be caused by allergy or sensativity to certain products like formaldehyde or even monomer is rare cases.
It is recommended to seek advice from a medical professional.

Hi Envy,

I did a search on the web for pterygium and the pictures i have found look nothing like what i have on my finger. The photos i have seen look like the skin around the nail is also growing over it. Mine is wafer-thin and same look'feel as the rest of my cuticle, just growing in a funny shape.

Is this still the same thing? Also, do you know of any sites where I can get further information regarding this?

Thanks. Anna xx

foxxyzinha said:
The photos i have seen look like the skin around the nail is also growing over it. Mine is wafer-thin and same look'feel as the rest of my cuticle, just growing in a funny shape.
Is this still the same thing? Also, do you know of any sites where I can get further information regarding this?

Right o then....

It may not be pterygium if it has the same texture as cuticle. Your original description I gathered to be more like the skin extending down as I've seen this a few times.. Sorry, can't upload images...
http://www.hooked-on-nails.com/naildisorders.html there is an example of severe pterygium here.

If it's just cuticle growing in a funny shape then regular manicures and use of solar oil and cuticle eraser will help keep it under control. HTH

Latest posts

Back