My accountant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckjustpamper

Reaction score
worrying about this a lot at this time of night but want to get my head sorted. I want to do my own tax returns etc as My accountants bill this tax year just gone was £750. Which just seems crazy considering the amount I do for him he literally just checks it over and gives my tax return.

Do i need to inform the tax office and that I will be doing my tax return from now on?

Do I need to get anything off of my accountant in particular? I have all my previous books for the past 6 years he's done but just cannot justify that expense anymore.

Is it easy to do? I want to be organised hence the questions now x

Is your accountant chartered as they charge higher fees generally?
Do you employ several staff?
If you're not keen to do it yourself, consider using a bookkeeper instead?

I would say that while £750 might seem a lot. A good accountant would save you that much in tax, unless you don't turnover that much.
Doing it yourself, I've never done it, but I suppose a good 5 days to do it, adding up everything, going through all your receipts etc and filling it in correctly. Take into account the fine or extra work or a tax investigation, sleepless nights worrying if you filled the form in, not understanding what a letter means from the inland revenue...

£750 doesn't seem that bad.

FYI we pay £1200, tax and paye. Limited company too.

I wouldn't know where to start, we build the fee into our overheads and of course we claim their bill from the tax...

You need your government gateway password & your unique tax payer reference that's all. You can log in with those and do it yourself

Phone hmrc. They are helpful.

As long as you keep up to date with your books - I do mine monthly, I keep a record of every incomings and outgoings and do them on a monthly bases , have been doing mine for nearly 7 years myself and at this moment seem to be ok :) x

Latest posts

Back