my first day - uh oh !

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttons

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

First day today. I haven't come home feeling pleased with the day.

I had a 17 yr old who'd never even had a manicure before and needed a lot of cuticle work, her cuticles were so dry and so they ended up a little soar because they cracked.
She had the smallest nail beds I've seen and bit her nails. She looked at mine ( I have Pink and white and rhinestones) and said she wanted the same. when I finished she didn't looked impressed at all. I thought they looked better that what she had before but not as good as mine as her nail beds were tiny. They were short as she requested but somehow no matter what I did they looked slighlty dumpy. Any advice on this.
Got her to buy some oil thank god !
Didn't add rhinestones as they would've just looked too much.
Also because of all the work I ended up running really behind
How long do you book for each client?

Carissa x

I book clients 2 hours apart. As for her nails, well some people have such short nails to start with that they do end up looking dumpy even after you have done your best. Dont beat yourself up about it. She may have been a lot more pleased about them than you picked up, its just that some people dont gush feelings (or praise) as easily as other do, doesnt mean they are not happy with the finished results.

Not every client walks i with nail beds to die for. Often what we do enhances the clients' nails but isn't necessarily satisfying to us. That's the job!! That's being a nail technician!

Congratulations though on getting through your first day !!!

Thank you for your comments. They have made me feel a lot better. I did show her the comparison between my nail bed and hers ( hers were less that half the size)

I hope she comes back and lets me know how she's got on. x

Silk purse, pigs ear! What more can I say! :biggrin:

But you can only enhance,not perform miracles. Maybe we should keep a magic wand handy! :D
Next time you're faced with a similar situation explain to the client before you start why she can't have nails that look like yours.
Sounds like you were faced with a tough challenge on your first day!
As for timing, you need to make allowances to begin with until you get into the swing of things. I allow 1.30mins for r/b,s and 2hrs for f/s,s. I don't run over as r/b's take me approx. 1 to 1.15mins. I can do a full set in approx 1.15 - 1.30 mins but you have to allow for difficult nails and clients that run late.
Don't worry, better to allow a bit of extra time for each client. Give yourself plenty of time then you won't be putting yourself under pressure.
You'll be fine :hug:

Don't you just love em lol............. thats like going to the hair dressers with a picture of a hair cut and then saying I want it to look just like that, but your hair might not be suitable for that style and you end up with someting similar , but not what you had in mind......but they will do their best with what they are given.... lank hair transformed to a style that is possible to do......... The same with nails, we can only enhance what nature gave them, and with a few tricks up our sleeve amaze most clients, but there are the ones that have to grow into the style they are looking for.. i.e bitten nails will eventually become nice nails.....
Well done for getting your first day over and done with, every day will be a bit better and a bit different, but hey thats what I love variety, its the spice of life .....
If you have clients that have cuticles from hell, retail them some CND Cuticle Eraser and get the to use that daily with the solar oil, like a treatment pack...in the evening before bedtime.. get them to add the two to the cuticles and let it do its stuff..cotton gloves are fab so it doesn't come off on the bedding....wash it of in the morning and use a soft nail brush this ex foliates the hard skin..cuticles from hell will be soon pinkies from heaven...then plenty of solar oil during the day to keep the skin nice and soft....the cuticle eraser is my best seller a the moment with the cannibals and believe it or not the men too.....the Eraser naturally dissolves the bond between dead skin cells removing them to reveal tight healthy tissue, contains four different A.H.A's (alpha hydroxy acids)

Well done and keep up the good work xx
I take 1 1/2 hours for a full set and 1 hour for maintenance....
I always ask new clients to come in 15 minutes before their scheduled appointment just in case there is serious cuticle work to be done.....gives me a little breathing space and soaking time for the cuticles.....

Latest posts

Back