My own fault!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne Roberts

Reaction score
Hi,

Took my tips and gel enhancements off last night coz wanted to have a go at putting on acrylic sculpts. The gel I used was the file off rather than the soak off kind.

I think I got a bit carried away and took off too much. Now I have really sore finger tips and my own nails are soooooo short. Can I still put on acrylics? Should I leave it for a couple of days? My nails now look awful and I can't do anything coz I'm so used to have extensions.

Any advice greatly appreciated - don't all laugh though coz I feel stupid enough as it is!!!!!:rolleyes:

Anne

Was about to post something similar.. you beat me to it.

I use a file off gel and am so scared of filing down on to the natural nail. I switch to a 240 grit file but still seem to over file. If the gel is left on I cannot apply tips as they just won't stick. Any hints?

it won't hurt to leave a very thin layer of gel on the nail. If you use an adhesive like Gelbond then there shouldn't be any problems applying another tip, I've done this not only on my own nails but also my clients too with no adverse affects.

Hi V,

was using tip bond gel the other day but gave up as I could not get it to stick??????

Anne Roberts said:
Hi,

Took my tips and gel enhancements off last night coz wanted to have a go at putting on acrylic sculpts. The gel I used was the file off rather than the soak off kind.

I think I got a bit carried away and took off too much. Now I have really sore finger tips and my own nails are soooooo short. Can I still put on acrylics? Should I leave it for a couple of days? My nails now look awful and I can't do anything coz I'm so used to have extensions.

Any advice greatly appreciated - don't all laugh though coz I feel stupid enough as it is!!!!!:rolleyes:

Anne
ouch!!! well, you got to think - what would you do if a client came to you with the same problem!! just a thought cos it happens :eek:

DON'T PUT ON ANYTHING ELSE!!! TAKE IT FROM ME, I KNOW.
a few weeks ago Creative Tech asked me to be a model for her. i had brisa gel on and buffed it off, and went a bit too far, i didn't have much time to get them off and used a 180 grit :eek: oops (obviously i would never do this to a client but because it was me, i just went ahead and did it)

the next day, my fingers felt sore, and i could feel the heat of my bathwater through my nail plates, and my nails were pinker than usual, but didn't look too bad but i realised that i must have been a bit heavy handed. anyway, went on the course as Creative Tech's model and Marco the Great noticed straight away the damage (he asked me if i got the brisa off with my teeth) when he came to do the enhancement (L&P) to show the class what they need to be doing.

anyway, when i came home i soaked off the enhancements (i only had one hand done so just soaked it off). They still looked okay except they were sore but then over the next few days i noticed my nails kept breaking up as soon as the free edge grew (obviously i've thinned the nail plate). They started to look a real mess and even started to flake before the free edge. a few days later i got the call from the bloke at the NEC asking me if i wanted to tech for the day. i thought, best put something on because my nails looked so messy. i put L&P on because i didn't want to buff off gel after and do even more damage. well I WISH I HADN'T BOTHERED. i've now got bad onycholysis on two fingers!!! :cry: and on one of them the nail is split down the middle :irked: :irked:. The enhancement was just too much for my poor nails to take. if i had just left them alone i would have been able to put my enhancements back on at xmas, and now i can't :cry:

Just leave your nails to grow out. at 3mm a month it will not be long before they are back to normal, and its a better option than having to watch onycholysis grow back.

ps. glad i'm not the only one this stupid LOL!

Latest posts

Back